WARNITorsion bar bolt cross-threaded

jake

Reaction score
Warning!!!!
I was adjusting my ride hit in the driveway, wanted to bring the front end up another inch.
Passenger side was smooth, drivers side seemed tight. Instead of listening to the voice in my head to get the jack, I just keep cranking. BAAAAMM!!!!! Bolt was cross-threaded and finally ripped through the nut. Car slammed down with shoulder and arm under it. I was lucky as I had my head was under there 20 seconds before. I am still shaken.
XRM2w07qjIqFmD1Xu1XekNe0QrICD2X3Vg79p0iA97v8sFRmFQ_GQM9o4UOnChfSDLfWMPBjWvJ_pNcvdjR=w900-h675-no.jpg

tOxpsS8qfXnQWW_1IMzOVUtbp596tneCtby68B4lA4Abin4m6VgedIUT8r6V-E5bM_NHTEyLZ0JzyP717wS=w900-h675-no.jpg

Sorry about spelling, fingers still shaking. If anybody has a bolt and bar nut, I would be willing to buy it.

Thankfully you’re not hurt! Just goes to show you can never excersize too much caution when working on things that can easily kill you.

Glad your O/K. As a former instructor I always tell people there are written procedures for a reason. Nine times out of ten you may be able to miss a step, but that tenth time you are in trouble. I do believe they are the same for most of the big Chrysler products so if someone on the site does not have one try Murray Park.

I read before that you should always unload the weight off the torsion bars before adjusting the ride height for this exact reason. You got lucky by not being seriously injured.

I was working under the back of my car a few years ago. I thought I could save time by lifting the whole back of my car up by the diff, removing both jackstands and lowering it to the ground instead of doing one side at a time. When I went to lower it, the jack handle was stiff to twist (to release the pressure). I gave it a bit more force and it let go all at once. The back bumper came down on me and dislocated my shoulder.

Glad your O/K. As a former instructor I always tell people there are written procedures for a reason. Nine times out of ten you may be able to miss a step, but that tenth time you are in trouble. I do believe they are the same for most of the big Chrysler products so if someone on the site does not have one try Murray Park.[/QUOTE
I have a piece of solid oak that is 12x12x12, 99% of the time I go under the car it goes with me. I got lucky today.

You sure did. Don't feel bad. 40 years ago I was changing a tire on my car in the garage on the bumper jack. Car slipped and pinned me to the wall. It took 40 minutes for someone to help me get free. I HAVE NEVER MADE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.

Part came in today from eBay, could not be happier!!! On the road again.
IMG_20180602_185308.jpg

Back