Was Asbestos used on the 73 Imperial

LeBaron1973

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether there was any asbestos insulation used on the 73 imperial.

I imagine the original brake linings were asbestos though.

Just that it'd need to be removed before shipping.

Does NZ have similar import rules as Australia regarding asbestos?, I've read a few horror stories about classic cars and over the top customs people.

You would think they would be more concerned with wildlife (invasive species) more than a little bit of brake lining. Never heard of that before but these days i would believe anything outrageous

The original brake pads and shoes were probably asbestos based but they haven't made linings with that in years.
Don't even bring it up unless they specifically ask. I'm thinking they are more concerned about asbestos in the cabin materials which there were none.
If they do happen to bring up the brake thing, tell them you had cerametallic brake pads and shoes put on a few years ago.
I wouldn't worry about it.

The original brake pads and shoes were probably asbestos based but they haven't made linings with that in years.
Don't even bring it up unless they specifically ask. I'm thinking they are more concerned about asbestos in the cabin materials which there were none.
If they do happen to bring up the brake thing, tell them you had cerametallic brake pads and shoes put on a few years ago.
Australian Border Force detects asbestos in classic cars, owners risk thousands of dollars in fines and fixes

:confused::realcrazy::mad:

Simplest solution I can think of. Prior to shipping, remove any suspect parts... Do they have a more comprehensive list?

Offhand, I'd try for new brake pads in a ceramic formula. Clutch material is a non issue and exhaust gaskets are all I can think of for asbestos. If you suspect gaskets, they shouldn't be too bad to have replaced with new ones. If insulation is in question, ship the car with carpet and insulation removed. any under hood shields that are a composite "roof paper" material can be removed.

If you need to, ship the offending materials separately or find a new replacement. I feel sure this insanity can be beat... but don't let the car get impounded or taken apart by customs if you can help it.

$20k??? sounds like a good paying job messing with other peoples stuff.

There's some overkill going on there... But that aside, I've read a little bit on the subject and as I see it, you are at the mercy of whoever is checking the car at the border. Slow day with a guy that takes his job too seriously and you'd be looking at trouble.

I don't know if you have any way of having the car inspected in the USA first or not. I would expect there to be issues with brake shoes and exhaust gaskets first off. Sound deadening materials would be secondary. I would think that you would have to prove that brake shoes/pads were replaced with a non-asbestos material.. In other words, receipts with manufacturer's certifications of materials. Otherwise, it's all suspect to a border cop.

If it's OK to ship the car with brakes that don't work, or exhaust with no gaskets, that would be the way I would go... Just take it out to begin with.

Still in use today the warnings are just bigger. At least here in the states. Last published o saw on it had 2007 Chrysler oem pads had it in them. Theres a thread here about it.

The sound deadening material sprayed onto the inside of the rear fenders of my 1970 Fury tested positive for asbestos.

Most likely there because of the brakes. Would be my guess anyway.
It could very well be from the brakes. But I did wet it down before removing some pieces that were flaking off and avoided sanding it.

Let us not forget the pad on top of the fuel tank between the trunk. That mat has a very detectable amount of asbestos in it. The home I grew up in once had a fire. It was built in the 50's. The fire originated from the furnace. When the home was built, the builders used one 4 x 8' sheet of asbestos above the furnace, the rest of the home was done in gyp-rock (drywall). It was in town, so fairly fast response from the fire department, however those firemen said that if that sheet had not been there, the house would be gone. It still stands, with most of its original wood frame.

I'm wondering whether there was any asbestos insulation used on the 73 imperial.

I imagine the original brake linings were asbestos though.

Just that it'd need to be removed before shipping.

IMHO (did I mention I am a licensed asbestos consultant) the undercoating of the car would be my biggest concern, especially if you feel you have to have it removed prior to shipping.

From Mesothelioma.com (Asbestos in Automobiles):

Automotive Parts Containing Asbestos
Brakes
Perhaps the most common automotive part known to contain asbestos are brake constructions. Asbestos was used in brake shoes, pads, and rotors. Brakes rely on the forces of friction to function properly. Friction releases a great deal of heat, which asbestos insulates against.

Clutches
Clutches, like brakes, are built to withstand a great deal of friction and grinding. Asbestos was used to protect against corrosion and wear.

Heat Seals
Heat seals were used to protect against heat transfer among many different engine and automotive body parts.

Gaskets
Gaskets were used in automobile hoses and engine parts. Asbestos was used to increase durability and prevent heat transfer for this purpose.

Hood Liners
Hood liners protected the underside of the car’s hood from damage due to engine heat. Asbestos was used in hood liners and other automotive parts that were required to withstand heat damage.

Body Construction
While asbestos was adept at insulation and prevention of heat transfer, it was also durable, making it attractive for inclusion in fiberglass or plastic compounds from which auto body parts were made. Body parts that were modified or repaired could potentially release asbestos fibers, endangering those in the vicinity.

Engine Components
The internal combustion engine used in the great majority of all automobiles releases a great deal of heat. Engine components must be protected against that heat to function properly. In many instances, asbestos was used in the engine part components and compounds to serve this purpose.

Insulation
The same asbestos that was used in engine components to protect against heat transfer could be used in body insulation materials to keep a car’s inhabitants warm or cool depending on the outside temperature.

Let us not forget the pad on top of the fuel tank between the trunk. That mat has a very detectable amount of asbestos in it. The home I grew up in once had a fire. It was built in the 50's. The fire originated from the furnace. When the home was built, the builders used one 4 x 8' sheet of asbestos above the furnace, the rest of the home was done in gyp-rock (drywall). It was in town, so fairly fast response from the fire department, however those firemen said that if that sheet had not been there, the house would be gone. It still stands, with most of its original wood frame.
Arghhh! I didn't know that. I hope i didnt liberate any fibers when I cleaned the dirt off mine. So sick of this stuff. My first project car had asbestos undercoating sprayed everywhere. Our house had asbestos tiles and still has asbestos on the furnace and some of the ducts.

Back