Was going to sell, but sister said to keep in family

SF-66TC

Reaction score
Since pops '66 Town & Country had been sitting in the garage for the past 20 years I decided to sell it - even had a buyer, but my dear sister put a halt to that. She evidently had a sentimental attachment to it because pops taught her how to drive in it. She wants to drive the car so guess who the lucky one that gets to make it road worthy? ME! :BangHead:

Anyways, the car was in pretty good shape just needed a little bit of work to get it road worthy after having sat for so long. Pops had a lot of extra parts so I dug through the shelves and piles and replaced all 4 wheel cylinders & brake shoes with fresh Dot-3 fluid. While I drained and changed the oil/filter I pulled the plugs and sprayed some WD-40 in each cylinder and let it sit for a couple days then installed new plugs. Wondering if I needed to drop the fuel tank and get it cleaned out or not I decided to first open the fuel line at the filter, let some fuel drain and check its smell and whether it felt tacky or not. Smelled and felt fine to me so I decided to check if she'd fire up. I depressed the accelerator pedal down once to activate the choke, turned the key and VROOOM! she fires up on the first crank. Heck, not bad for 20 year old gas if you ask me!!

Since my sister wants to drive the car I needed to do more than just get it started. So... I ordered up a Fan Clutch, upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat/gasket, spark plug wires, dizzy cap and brake lines from RockAuto.... a Fram CA127 air filter, Pertronix igniter II EI, Flame Thrower Coil, a case of Motor Medic Lead Substitute from Amazon.... a G2 Fuel Filter, Gates green line 5/8" & 3/4" heater hoses, a gallon of Prestone Antifreeze & a quart of Dextron Tranny Fluid from our local parts store.

The car definitely needed new tires after having sat on them so long. Since the availability of 14" are so slim and expensive I opted to go with 15" for more choices and cost savings. I toiled whether to get stock 15" rims or Rallye or Police Wheels for the car. Wanting to keep the car as stock/original as possible I decided to kill two birds with one stone and go with the Mopar Road Wheels (15x6). I figured if I could easily change the look with these wheels as I could simply remove its trim ring and center cap and pop on a stock hubcap. For tires I chose 235/75r15 Hankook white wall radials. That size was the closest to the original bias ply H78's so I knew they would look good on the car. I got the tires this past weekend on a Black Friday sale so I got an extra $100 off which was an added bonus. All I can say is, "What a difference these radials make compared to the old bias ply tires - feels and rides like a totally different car!"

So, this past Saturday i got the tires mounted, installed the radiator hoses, thermostat, heater hoses, dizzy cap & wires. To change the thermostat I had to pull the AC compressor which was a pain, especially getting the main bolt back on. The original fan clutch had studs where the Hayden I got does not - it uses bolts which didn't even come with it so back on the old one went. Since I'll need to get the radiator boiled out I'll replace the fan clutch & brake lines at that time. Oh, and since the gas gauge rapidly began decending from full to empty and doesn't register anything at all now, I'm guessing the old gas corroded the sending unit and I'll have to replace it too.... tells me I'll also need to drop the tank and get it boiled out too... drats!

Note: if you didn't know... most American cars used 5/8" & 3/4" heater hoses. This Chryslers heater hoses are both 5/8".

So here's B4 and AFTER pics of BLUE with her New Shoes and Soles (old tires and boxes stuffed in the back haha)!
I think the Road Wheels give the car a Sporty yet Classy look :eek:s_dancing2:

2014-11-15 12.43.33 2.jpg2014-11-29 10.33.36 3.jpg

2014-11-15 12.43.33 2.jpg

2014-11-29 10.33.36.jpg

2014-11-29 10.33.36 3.jpg

Last edited:
That's stunning...kudos to you for listening and then helping deliver on your sisters dream.....!

Love the wagon! And I'm leaning towards the sports wheels.....

very nice wagon.
I just prefer the original hubcaps as road wheels do not belong on a pre 70 to me

Carsten

I love it. I bet the prospective buyer was very disappointed!

Great looking wagon, love the color .......... The road wheels are a great addition to it. :wtg:

very nice wagon.
I just prefer the original hubcaps as road wheels do not belong on a pre 70 to me

Carsten

Though I wanted to keep the car as original as possible I was not willing to fork out the $$ for 14" tires. From an enthusiast point of view switching over from 14" to 15" wheels already removed the authenticity from the car. I did source some 15" hubcaps, but they're not from a '66 which also makes it non authentic. Since I wanted to go to 15" I had several choices to choose from within the Mopar line; Stock wheels, Police Wheels, Magnum 500 Wheels, Mopar Rallye Wheels (incl trim ring/center cap), Mopar Road Wheels (includes trim ring & center cap).

With the stock wheel I could only use a hubcap.
With the Police Wheel it would look best with a black wall or raised white lettering on the tires
With the Magnum 500 Wheels, they just didn't look right on a wagon IMO.
With the Rallye Wheels - they would look ok, but they were mainly seen on Plymouths ie' Chargers & Cuda's
With the Road Wheels - they are Sporty yet Classic... again IMO

Since I wanted the option to change the look I opted for the Mopar Road Wheel. By simply removing the trim ring and center cap I could opt for the stock look of a simple hubcap or let the chrome & painted center of the Road Wheel speak for itself. I'd seen the Road Wheel on several cars and really liked how they made the car stand out.

I don't know why you think they don't belong on a pre '70 car.... to me they look great! But it's all a personal preference.... Can't say for sure whether these Road Wheels were around in '66, but I'm sure they were. Would like to know what cars sported them the most.

Yes he was very disappointed, but he was very understanding about it. Told him if we ever did decide to sell it he would be the first one I would contact, but he'll probably find something by then.

Yes he was very disappointed, but he was very understanding about it. Told him if we ever did decide to sell it he would be the first one I would contact, but he'll probably find something by then.

Back