Was having a great day wrenching on my Fury... until the neighbor...

James Romano

Reaction score
Had to walk-up and talk.. and talk.. and talk.

I was distracted, forgot to reverse the setting on my air wrench and annihilated one of my left-hand threaded lug studs on the front drum.

Don't people know that when you have the car out, the hood open... tools everywhere... the music cranking... and you're covered in grease.... YOU DON'T WANT TO TALK TO ANYONE!!!

So... I'm one stud short. What can I do about this? I'd like to keep the LH threads, can't seem to find the specs on the size and the depth of the knurled area either... if these things are even available. Or where I can get one... if they are the right one. I've been reading for a while... but mostly a lot of old threads about the same issues.

How the heck do I get the thing out without wreaking more havoc on the drum... was considering using my neighbor's head for a hammer as there is obviously nothing in his.

Anyway... I did manage to replace the tie rods and give her a good run before I put her to bed.

Thanks in advance...
JR

Last edited:
You can use a large drift punch to knock out the old stud and a brass drift to knock the new one in. Be sure to set the drum hub on a block of wood first when installing and the rear of the drum on wood also when removing. If you talk to your neighbor a lot, Lisle makes a stud installer #22800 that uses the wheel lug nut to pull the new stud into place. For sale on Amazon. If mobile parts does not have the LH studs and nuts, www.dorman.com still shows a listing.

Dave

Correction: Dorman no longer stocks this item in LH.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. Do you know if those studs on Dorman are good for my year?

My neighbor is just one of those guys that doesn't get it... you know what I mean. Cut the grass at 9 pm, even though he's been home all day kinda guy... doing it right now kinda guy... I'm loading the 12 gauge kinda guy... hahahaha

Thanks Dave. Do you know if those studs on Dorman are good for my year?

My neighbor is just one of those guys that doesn't get it... you know what I mean. Cut the grass at 9 pm, even though he's been home all day kinda guy... doing it right now kinda guy... I'm loading the 12 gauge kinda guy... hahahaha

If you go to the Dorman site, they should have an application chart, I am sure they have the RH ones, you may have to contact the customer service dept to see if they still have the LH ones.

Dave

Studs are 1/2" x 20 LH. Crown shows that stud JA000473 as the same stud for drum brakes. They only show it for Jeep listings, but I think it is the same stud.

Dave

Don’t start smacking it! You have to cut off the swedge or you’ll ruin your hub.

mobile parts has the LH studs.

ok. Thanks. I've been reading up on how to remove it. Seems like a PIA, but can easily be done with patience and correct method.

The flaky thing about neighbors interested in what you're doing is . . . you don't want to make them mad and you still want to get something accomplished. Rather than trying to work through their presence, it might be better to stop working, talk to them, satisfy their curiosity, then politely say you need to get back to work, hoping they'll then leave. Unfortunately, that plan doesn't always work, they keep standing around and talking. Oblivious to the fact that you're trying to get something done.

A balancing act at best,
CBODY67

NO Left Hand Stud has been manufactured by any company in over 30 years.
Practically everyone on this site knows that I have every single LEFTY wheel stud, Front & Rear, Disc & Drum in the Mopar World.....
Even Imperial.....

The flaky thing about neighbors interested in what you're doing is . . . you don't want to make them mad and you still want to get something accomplished. Rather than trying to work through their presence, it might be better to stop working, talk to them, satisfy their curiosity, then politely say you need to get back to work, hoping they'll then leave. Unfortunately, that plan doesn't always work, they keep standing around and talking. Oblivious to the fact that you're trying to get something done.

A balancing act at best,
CBODY67

I just never understood the concept of talking to someone when they were obviously very busy... but again, that's me. He's a nice guy, harmless... I'm a busy body... I like to move... talking is for when the work is done. Just one of those things I should have checked before I hit the stud. I didn't get mad at him or anything.. it was solely my own doing. It's just the distraction and no knowing I have even more work to do... when I was just about done and ready for the season. Oh well... labor of love! LOL!

NO Left Hand Stud has been manufactured by any company in over 30 years.
Practically everyone on this site knows that I have every single LEFTY wheel stud, Front & Rear, Disc & Drum in the Mopar World.....
Even Imperial.....

Okey Dokey... so I guess I know now too..

These studs that Crown makes are not new?
Crown Automotive Wheel Studs JA000473

I'm happy to buy two from you, what's the price? How do I do that?

Thanks

Used to have a neighbour like that and he drove me nuts when I was doing things in my garage. Got to the point I put an AC unit in the garage so I could shut the doors to keep him out.

I just never understood the concept of talking to someone when they were obviously very busy... but again, that's me. He's a nice guy, harmless... I'm a busy body... I like to move... talking is for when the work is done. Just one of those things I should have checked before I hit the stud. I didn't get mad at him or anything.. it was solely my own doing. It's just the distraction and no knowing I have even more work to do... when I was just about done and ready for the season. Oh well... labor of love! LOL!

When I mentioned "talk", it was more in the orientation of casual, polite talk lasting not more than 3-4 minutes. Past that, it's usually wasted time, to me. I seem to have a countdown clock in my head for such things. That time might be short, BUT you can say a lot in that time, too.

You can be friendly and such, but still understand that you sometimes have to say "Well, I'd better get back to work if I'm going to get this finished on schedule. Check ya later . . . " Perhaps I'm getting a bit more aware of this as I get older, but sometimes you WANT people to come over and check on you. Depends upon whom it might be, though.

The ones that keep coming by "for expert advice" (on anything) are a different deal, though.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Bro.. I always appreciate you're expert advice! Beer to you from my virtual fridge.

I have that same clock .. I start to get really antsy...

My last neighbour had a habit of doing the same. Most people want to socialize with their neighbour's, but there is a time and place. Like suggested above, I would give him about five minutes, maybe more depending on my mood and the topic of conversation, then get right back to it, saying, "I have to get this done". Hint not taken, continues to stand there yapping while I'm underneath the car or have my head under the hood. Then I start hammering on something, (required, or not), that seems to disrupt his train of thought, or he realizes that I can't hear him, and says, "well, I'm distracting you, we'll catch up next time!" Other than that, which is minor, they were great neighbour's! These old car's attract people like flies. When's the last time you filled up at the gas station without being approached by a stranger? Old car + Neighbour = conversation. At least he's not a rotten whiner, complaining, and calling bylaw on you. Things can always be worse.

My last neighbour had a habit of doing the same. Most people want to socialize with their neighbour's, but there is a time and place. Like suggested above, I would give him about five minutes, maybe more depending on my mood and the topic of conversation, then get right back to it, saying, "I have to get this done". Hint not taken, continues to stand there yapping while I'm underneath the car or have my head under the hood. Then I start hammering on something, (required, or not), that seems to disrupt his train of thought, or he realizes that I can't hear him, and says, "well, I'm distracting you, we'll catch up next time!" Other than that, which is minor, they were great neighbour's! These old car's attract people like flies. When's the last time you filled up at the gas station without being approached by a stranger? Old car + Neighbour = conversation. At least he's not a rotten whiner, complaining, and calling bylaw on you. Things can always be worse.

i agree.. and you hate to be a dick.. but it's a time thing. Yesterday it was gorgeous out... I swapped out the front steering system on my wife's 2013 Wrangler, which was 2 hours thanks to the pathetic allen-bolt system Mopar designed for the nut security over the usual cotter pins. Then I moved into the Fury... and down it went. Lol. Today... windy, cold... shitty out. End of weekend.

So back to the plan...

Seems to be the bst way to do this is to buy one of these 9/16" hole saws, cut away the swadge and lightly drive the stud back out. I don't have a drill press, or any kind of press, so I'm doing it all by hand drill and hammer.
Was thinking of getting a piece of 4x4 and making a jig to rest the drum on while I work on it. Allowing me to drive the stud out without the strain on the drum once the swadge is cut away.

9/16" Hole Dozer™ Bi-Metal Hole Saw

The stud

IMG_20200426_131301635.jpg

Back