Was (is) this normal? 68 Newport custom

jct

Reaction score
Or did a previous owner try to fix it?
I know i have lots of cleaning to do, vacuumed out all the loose crud that was in there
20190907_151054.jpg
20190907_151104.jpg
20190907_151115.jpg
are those gaps supposed to be there with the windshield gasket/seal? I'm kind of want to do this on a budget, i have at my disposal with caulking and flex seal in a rattle can. I don't have the funds to properly get it fixed at this time. Just trying to stop/slow the water from coming in the driver's side
20190907_151127.jpg
20190907_144522.jpg
20190907_144537.jpg
20190907_151048.jpg

Looks the same as four '67's that I've opened up.

FWIW, I found using plastic scrapers or wood shims to remove the heavy stuff first minimizes paint scratch.

Depending on conditions, you may be able to use a wad of the mastic as a removal tool for the heavy stuff.

I wore rubber gloves, rolled it around in my palms, stick it to an area and pull off.

Same idea as using part of a sticker you removed to pull the glue residue off.

Stick, release, etc.

Then, after much experimenting, I found PB Blaster to work best for removing residue.

Apply Blaster to a rag and wipe a small part, then turn to a clean part of the rag and repeat.

If you wipe too much with one part of the rag, it will just start to smear instead of lift.

Takes a fair amount of Armstrong Elbow Grease, but the results are worth it.

Hope the input helps.

John

What's the purpose of it being there, an anti-vibrations?

From what i saw, they didn't do a good job at sealing it with the mastic goo, and totally missed the windshield gasket.

I'm gonna have the same shop who did my floors in 2 days time look at that issue next year. But in the mean time I'll get around to cleaning up all the old crud and try to apply new mastic goo

Which would be better mastic caulking or mastic tape stuff? I have both in my stock atm

When i go to reply the mastic caulk it should be at the windshield gasket and the cowl gap?

I used goo gone and 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner, i I should have used goo goo to begin with in the first place would have saved a few more dollars :-|

Got the area all cleaned best i could and applied flex seal in the aerosol can with two coats of that. No water intrusion to be seen. Sealed up with 3M auto bedding and glazing compound and reversed everything back together

Now i have to clay bar my windshield and doors made a mess with the flex seal heh *yikes*

I believe to actually seal the gasket to the car against water. The gasket wasn't enough. Even the fsm says to seal it.

Also if the window leaked during water test.
The window would get sealer applied with a gun that had an “L” bend at the end of a tube.
The bend allowed it to fit under the trim molding and they just pumped sealer under the trim molding. Hoping it got the leak. I don’t recall a second run through water test to confirm. They might have used a hose in final repair to check it.

Back