Was just sideswiped

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
WP_20160417_18_53_29_Pro.jpg
WP_20160417_20_26_21_Pro.jpg
I was minding my own business driving through a parking lot, down one of the "straitaways" when a car turned left into the rear quarter panel of my car. Both of our windows were down and before she could even get out, she was saying sorry. We both get out and I ask where she was looking? That way she points, toward the sun. I shake my head and pull out my phone (camera) and snap a couple pics, she gets in her car, I assume to get her info, and she takes off! I follow her of course and am behind her at a red light, I get out and ask if she thinks it may be a good idea to exchange info given the fact that we were just in an accident, she says " there is no damage" I disagree and let her know that I will be following her and phoning the police. She pulls in to the next parking lot and I box her in. I ask her for her info and she refuses and accuses me of causing the accident. So I call the cops. Two hours later and l'm still waiting, so I figured I'd write this. Quite honestly, look at the condition of that quarter before the hit, dreadful. Let alone the rest of the car. Had she have accepted some responsibility and not ran away, I would have worked with her and made things very easy. This is 100% principle based.

around cops wont respond to that type of accident and tell you let the insurance companies figure it out

They do respond when it's a hit and run and the driver will not give you their info. It's just not priority, hence this thread. I would much rather have spent the beautiful evening at my garage working on the cars and cruising around.

I'm picturing this scenario, only me being you.
I dunno, man. I don't know if I could hold back. Seriously.
Keep cool. Keep your mouth shut. And only open your mouth when a cop talks to you.

stick to your guns...don't let her go..may be lot video...
had that happen to me once..old lady hit me...takes off..gos around block..comes back..gives me name and info..me being young and foolish trust the old bat...wrong name and number...
hit and run...don't give a inch...lets the coppers sort it out...stick to yer princibles and don't trust the old bats with hats

Let her her go batshit and wait until the cop turns to you and says, Well?
Then just talk calmly.

I'm a pro at this. People loved that my trailer was a 53' rolling billboard of a multi-gabillion dollar rich corporation.
I'd be waiting at a red light, an accident across the street would be my fault.

They do respond when it's a hit and run and the driver will not give you their info. It's just not priority, hence this thread. I would much rather have spent the beautiful evening at my garage working on the cars and cruising around.

Chick must have been from Calgary...see that a lot here. Good luck man but i wouldnt make an insurance claim if you can help it dont even call them. If you tell them they will still record it as an accident even if you dont make a claim.

First thing, ALWAYS call the cops and get a report. Do NOT trust the dumb-*** that hit you, the chances of you getting screwed are very high.
Second thing, I guess your car was too small to see.
Dumb-asses ! Good luck getting anything out of her.

Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom all. I tried my hardest not to respond to her and was doing quite well until her equally annoying husband showed up snapping pics, first of the car, that's fine take all you want, then goes for one a foot away from my face, that one probably didn't turn out so well. Then she chimes in "this old wreck shouldn't even be on the road". To which I couldn't help but reply "You're the old wreck that shouldn't be on the road". That was it for them, we sat in the rexall parking lot with me boxing them in, hogging the parking lot, for three hours until the cops showed up. This of course garnered some attention over the course of the evening. Luckily it was in a good neighborhood.

Gotta ask... Did the cop issue a ticket to her? I know this works differently in different areas, but if the cop issues a ticket... that is an assignment of blame.

You dont give them anything, they aint got anything.

Off topic, But do you have some good pics of your car? It looks good with those wheels.

Good luck with this. It's going to be a tough one though and I'm not sure that "boxing her in" is such a good idea. The cops may frown on that.

Just recently, I had a guy in a rental car back into my Mercury. It took me 6 weeks to get a settlement.

Reading about your adventure brings to mind a similar deal that I got into back in 1963 with my "first" car. I bought a 57 Ford for $400 from an insurance agent who had bought the car brand new for his wife. She had her problems, she side swiped the right side and he fixed it. Then she side swiped the left side which he also fixed. Next she bashed the left front head light and he tore up her license and sold the car to me.
So here I am, driving my first car along the left most lane of a one-way street in Ottawa when a little English car in the far right lane flips up a little turn indicator flag and then promptly turns left into my right front fender. The damage wasn't great, I had too much bondo and the little dinky toy car was too light to break much. However, being a new car owner I wanted all the info. Turned out she was French, lived in Hull Quebec, spoke little English, had no insurance and wasn't sure who owned the car. So wrote everything down and took it to my insurance agent, who chuckled and said he would look into it. Nobody even considered calling the police, there wasn't that much damage and I figured my insurance agent would be my white knight! Well surprise number 1, nothing happened and over the next few months all my agent would say is he was still attempting to recover damages from the woman.
Surprise number 2 came nearly two years later when my brother-in-law told me the story of "some sap who got hit by a hooker and his insurance agent spent the next few months collecting in trade". Didn't take long to identify the sap! That was a lot of years ago, but to this day I still can't warm up to any insurance agents.
:BangHead:

You can make a claim against her insurance and it shouldn't affect your insurance. I like the way you handled it. Anyonew who drives away is fleeing, and I think you did the right thing. Years ago I had a coworker who had someone back into their front end, they agreed to settle it between themselves. The guy who backed into coworker gave him a check for the determined value of his bumper. He went to cash it, the account had no money. (he went to the bank it was drawn from). Called the number on the check, disconnected. Well, he had a friend in the DMV and he got his home phone number and have him a call. Boy was he surprised! Told him he had his address and asked if things needed to go further, pretty sure the guy was illegal, and agreed to meet and give him the money. Shoes up with another check, they went to that bank and once again, no money in the account! My coworker told him to pay up or he'd sent some guys to collect whatever he had of value at his house. Magically the guy brought him to a bank that had money and gave it to him. He would have had to deal with a lot more if he hadn't paid up. I never trust anyone, seems like they are all out to screw over anyone they can. Good luck with getting some sort of resolution.

I did just have a neighbor hit my mirror on my POS $500 beater. She was sickened and very apologetic. I told her not to worry, I'd find a mirror and she could pay me what it cost. $32 later and I had a color matched mirror. She gave me $40 and all was well. I never even checked the car when she told me. No need for a claim for $32, although she offered several times. Goes both ways.

I just found this thread. I feel sick from reading it. Something like that happening to one of my cars is my worst nightmare. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Looks similar to my wife's car driving down the main lane in a parking lot. A woman pulled out of one of the feeding lanes without looking and connected with the two passenger doors. My wife was pissed but she and her friend got all the info and the car was repaired with no problems.

Now four weeks ago I drop my son off at school and drive out down the road away from it. I see this Escalade waiting to make a left turn onto the road as I drive by. As I come up the driver pulls right out in front of me and I quickly jink to the right of the road and she just kisses the lower edge of my rear bumper. Just barely in reality with a little scuff mark but still. Got all her info and called it in to AAA. Later that day when picking up my son I saw the same Escalade driving down the road with her husband at the wheel. She did make a comment that I looked angry. Well yeah when you pull out in front of me and force me to make an emergency move in order not to get hit. Besides where were your eyes. Anyway I now get my entire bumper repainted and even the little scuff on the right side gets eliminated.

As for the above story I was waiting for when the comment about "your old car" would show up.

Back