Watch out, left lane hogs

Confusing. I've been told that even while passing on a two lane road, that "The speed limit is the speed limit". Makes you wonder what the law actually says vs how it's applied by cops and courts in different jurisdictions. My approach has always been, check for cops and if clear boot it!

The OPP is watching you. Note how he says it doesn't matter if you are speeding or not.

That cop's advice is absolutely brilliant regardless if a ticket for blocking the passing lane actually sticks. IMHO the fine for blocking the passing lane should be suspension of highway driving privileges for a month for 1st offence, 3 months 2nd offence and licence for 1 year thereafter. If I were king...

This is so true. What gets me the most is how in certain states, drivers follow this law like religion, and in others, (like Illinois), they play mope along Cassidy.

As bad as the left lane hogs are RVs and trailer folks hogging the center lane with their cruise set at 65.
Basic rule of thumb. If you're getting passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane. Period.

Car & Driver made a term years ago: LLBs = Left Lane Bandits.

Can't stand them!!!

Was driving just this past weekend with a friend from Israel. We rode close to a thousand miles together. He kept asking, "Why is that person in the left lane? It's illegal to do so in Israel."

I wish it were in California, but contrary to popular opinion, it isn't. I had a long discussion with a CHP Officer over this very issue years ago. If there are four or more vehicles behind you, you are required to let them pass. But no law exists that says you cannot drive along in the #1 lane, even though we have signs everywhere that say, "Stay Right Except to Pass."

Car & Driver made a term years ago: LLBs = Left Lane Bandits.

Can't stand them!!!

Was driving just this past weekend with a friend from Israel. We rode close to a thousand miles together. He kept asking, "Why is that person in the left lane? It's illegal to do so in Israel."

I wish it were in California, but contrary to popular opinion, it isn't. I had a long discussion with a CHP Officer over this very issue years ago. If there are four or more vehicles behind you, you are required to let them pass. But no law exists that says you cannot drive along in the #1 lane, even though we have signs everywhere that say, "Stay Right Except to Pass."

It is also illegal in Germany. There they base your fine on your income. Talk about a money maker.

... If there are four or more vehicles behind you, you are required to let them pass...

Washington state (or maybe it was Oregon) requires you to pull off on a two lane road if you have 6 vehicles backed up behind you, and let them pass.

Washington state (or maybe it was Oregon) requires you to pull off on a two lane road if you have 6 vehicles backed up behind you, and let them pass.
California as well, but the number is four. Even so, I die every time someone actually DOES IT!!! I was on Highway 50 in mid-July on the way to Tahoe, following a semi who passed turnout after turnout. Must have been 12 vars behind. Idiot!

I understand not wanting to lose uphill momentum; I've driven large trucks and pulled trailers. But when people do not pull over, next thing you know some idiot is trying to pass on a blind curve. Both are dangerous an unthinking.

Most of the main interstates in Maryland has the no trucks in the left lane law which is great because I don't drive big trucks. It kind of keeps the traffic moving along.

I did like the dont impede traffic behind you in the left lane on the Autobahns. Enjoyed 150 mph driving hassle free!

In days gone by before 4 lane divided highways, the roads had wide paved shoulders and drivers being overtaken would pull over on the shoulder to let faster moving traffic pass.

In days gone by before 4 lane divided highways, the roads had wide paved shoulders and drivers being overtaken would pull over on the shoulder to let faster moving traffic pass.
Your memory of Ontario highways must be short, Bill. Damn 18" wide asphalt, then a gravel shoulder. Still many highways like that, there.

Money maker, maybe, but a $100 fine for some wealthy guy is no deterrent, just a permit to do it.
Ahhh, you misunderstood me, The fines are based on your yearly income. If you make $20,00.00 a year, you fine could be $100.00. If you make $200,00.00 a year your fine could be $2,000.00 or higher. That is worked out by the judge.

Ahhh, you misunderstood me, The fines are based on your yearly income. If you make $20,00.00 a year, you fine could be $100.00. If you make $200,00.00 a year your fine could be $2,000.00 or higher. That is worked out by the judge.
I understand. That's exactly what I meant. $100 for a low income earner is a deterrent, for a high income earner not so much.

Your memory of Ontario highways must be short, Bill. Damn 18" wide asphalt, then a gravel shoulder. Still many highways like that, there.
I was remembering Alberta in 1974. Ontario never got past cow paths with a white line.

Ontario is awful for left lane hogs. I agree with what this officer is saying. On multi-lane highways in Ontario the signs say:

3-1-23.jpg

It doesn't say anything about the speed limit. You aren't entitled to be in the left lane just because you're traveling at the speed limit. If cars are lined-up behind you, you are the slower traffic.

I doubt the OPP is actually stepping up enforcement to get people out of the left lane though.

Confusing. I've been told that even while passing on a two lane road, that "The speed limit is the speed limit". Makes you wonder what the law actually says vs how it's applied by cops and courts in different jurisdictions. My approach has always been, check for cops and if clear boot it!

The police aren't actually going to tell you straight-up that it is okay to speed. The speed limit is still the speed limit, and if you get caught by a cop's radar while passing you are still liable to get a ticket. This whole discussion applies when you're on a multi-lane road and "the flow of traffic" is speeding, in which case they're not going to pull anybody over unless a vehicle does something else sketchy that catches their eye.

Back