Water coming in. Any ideas from where?

Joseph James

Reaction score
Car has sat since Friday. Rained Saturday and Saturday night. Passenger floor is wet but area above is pretty dry. I can’t seem to find where the water is coming in.

5478378A-4447-441A-A719-C0340A6672E7.jpeg

42FC9E84-A42A-4B96-8B2A-E766EA11BF70.jpeg

Could be from your windshield area seal gasket

I fixed mine with aerosol flex seal, so far it's holding up

Could be from your windshield area seal gasket

I fixed mine with aerosol flex seal, so far it's holding up

I am due to replace the windshield anyway. The seal costs as much as the windshield. Thanks for that tip. May try a water hose on it and see if that is the origin.

I still have some coming in from somewhere on the firewall...I believe it may be the air intake horn on the heater box being warped and leaking. Might want to check that.

Cowl drains can be plugged up, if the drains are clear from experience heater box seals do become brittle and crack. Under heavy rain conditions leaks like you described can occur as did on my 300. Your 2nd pic shows rust stains to support this. DMT sells a complete reseal kit that works very well. Keep me posted on your results.

I realize mine is a 69, but I used some mechanic's wire and shoved it up in there and cleared a lot of it out. Also shop vac'd the cowl pan area in front of the windshield.
Drain hole cleaning (1).JPG
Drain hole cleaning (3).JPG
Drain hole cleaning (2).JPG
Drain holes.jpg
Drain holes (2).jpg

My money is on it being a Cowl/ firewall leak too. I've never had the leak be the windshield in my personal experience.

I had my 68 Fury parked on a slope, rear up, and in a heavy rain the rain ran down the side of the car into the vents below the windshield and I had inches of water on my passenger side floor. The cowl vents were clogged, needless to say.

Last edited:
Isn't there supposed to be a rubber flap on the manual vent door, too?

CBODY67

Cowl drains can be plugged up, if the drains are clear from experience heater box seals do become brittle and crack. Under heavy rain conditions leaks like you described can occur as did on my 300. Your 2nd pic shows rust stains to support this. DMT sells a complete reseal kit that works very well. Keep me posted on your results.

we have had continuous rain all day. Pulled the carpet back and it’s dry. Seems to be coming in the side. The floor closest to the scuff plates was the wettest.

we have had continuous rain all day. Pulled the carpet back and it’s dry. Seems to be coming in the side. The floor closest to the scuff plates was the wettest.
mine is doing the same thing...im finding it to be the weather stripping around the door near the top of the vent window...water is leaking in there and following the edge down to the floor...maybe check that.

Back