Water Pump- Should I Trust IT???

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. '66 Fury I

'66 Fury I Member

I bought my 66 Fury in 1991. The PO gave me a spare water pump he had.The car had been stored for 8 years. The pump appeared to be rebuilt and never used- the seal and impeller looked new. I installed this pump in 2018 when the seal failed in the old pump. The pump is working perfectly, but it would seem that the rebuild is at least 38 years old. Am I on "borrowed time" with this pump?? Thanks for your good advise! Lindsay

2. Trace 300 Hurst

Trace 300 Hurst Professional Tinkerer FCBO Gold Member

There are two ways to look at this:

1. Yes, you ARE on borrowed time. Due to age, the "2018" pump will probably only give you 15 years of service instead of 20. :D

2. That pump was rebuilt when men were men and things were properly rebuilt, not just cleaned up and spray painted in some offshore country. So it's a good pump!

Either way, you're just fine. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. '66 Fury I

'66 Fury I Member

Thanks! As to your #2, I agree that it probably was "done right"- they didn't try to just mak it look good- no paint at all!! LC

• Like Like x 1
  4. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

My 66 original blew the bearing out at 43 years and 96K miles, replacement was made in Japan. That bearing took a dump at 8 years and 20+K miles. Both blew out on the highway! My current one is made in Mexico, we'll see how that one goes? Am I over tightening the belt over stressing the bearing, or using inferior parts/products?
    I can't answer your question, can you answer mine? Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trace 300 Hurst

Yeah, you should spend your "worrying" about axle bearing failures like the rest of us! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trace 300 Hurst

I ponder these things, too. For instance, I was very surprised to discover this past weekend that my trans is Numbers Matching. I'd already determined the engine was some time ago, but it's very hard to see the trans number pad with headers. With some yoga and an inspection mirror (with LEDs) I spotted the VIN. So why was I surprised? Typically, AAMCO would have replaced that trans with a rebuilt unit in 1981-ish. Was my 112K mile trans actually rebuilt by someone who knew what they were doing? Or is it a total survivor? Either way, it's perfect.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gerald Morris

Gerald Morris Senior Member

Hang a 5 lb weight off the alternator to waterpump belt if you're AC free- or use a 5 lb pull from a fishing scale at the midpoint between the waterpump and idler pully if you have AC, then measure the belt deflection. Without AC, the deflection should be 1/4 inch. With AC, the FSM allows for 3/8 inch, with "used belts." If your belts are tighter than this, you may well be over stressing your waterpump bearing!

upload_2021-4-13_2-0-24.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

You can look at it this way too. A water pump seldom has a catastrophic failure. Usually, it just starts leaking. Then it's not major surgery to change, although a big block is a bit easier.

I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many water pumps I've had to replace over many years. Last one was on my 300 and that was because of a bad bearing that I caught while changing belts.

Leave it, you're fine.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. 68PK21 440.6bbl

68PK21 440.6bbl Old Man with a Hat

Without getting the abacus out I stopped using rebuilt (NAPA) waterpumps in the early 80's. It only took 2 or 3 kickbacks to go and pay the extra for dealer or NAPA new one's. Heck I wasn't paying for it the customer was.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. marty koirtyohann

marty koirtyohann Member

i never used a rebuit water pump when the new ones r so reasonable but thats me too

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1