Waterleak roof rail weatherstrip

Knebel

Reaction score
Hi,

Last year I installed new roof rail and door weatherstrip on my 68 Fury III 2 door (Metro Moulded Parts). Mainly because the carpet on the drivers side was rotted and wet down by the kickpanel... I also Installed a new carpet this summer.

I observed a some Waterleaks for quite a while now which I thought I had eliminated with the new Weatherstrip.... It comes in on both sides up in the curve where the Chrome Frame of the door meets the Roof Rail, it runs down on the inside of the Interior trim piece and drips out 'above' by the Kickpanel. I can not determine where the Water actually comes in, i already had the Interior trims removed and had my wife hose off the areas while I sat in the Car and looked for it... I discovered a spot on the drivers side where the new weatherstrip had a little hole in it and i fixed that with some adhesive. Still leaks...... Anyone has an Idea where to look for this?
Seal 1.jpgSeal 2.jpg

Seal 1.jpg

Seal 2.jpg

Oh, part number was Metro Moulded RR 4001-C for the roof rail, it says it was for a 67 2Dr hardtop but i read that it also works for a 68.. had no issues for about a year...

if it's a hardtop you may need to adjust the window to seal it up. try the dollar bill test. shut a dollar bill in between the door and the seal. try to pull it out. if it pulls easily the seal is not tight enough. if the dollar feels like it is going to rip- too tight. you should be able to pull it through with a bit of tension. also check to make sure the water isn't coming in the windshield seal.

Thanks for the tip! I will check that out. But why could i hose the areas off with some decent water pressure and it wouldnt leak? Thats the weird part, it leaks/fills up when the car is parked in the rain in the driveway....

Ok so the doors and windows shut fairly tight against the seal. From the windshield..hmmm i think that its too far towards the middle of the door in order to come from the front and then on both sides equally!?
Another thing is, could the water seep through the roof, i mean the roofrail where the sealer is in and the chrome trim is attached to? That sealer is old and shrunk a lot and left a gap....

not likely unless it is rusted out there but it wont hurt to dribble the hose there. water leaks are tough. they can originate nowhere near where they show up. does it leak when driving,parked or both?

not likely unless it is rusted out there but it wont hurt to dribble the hose there. water leaks are tough. they can originate nowhere near where they show up. does it leak when driving,parked or both?

Well, i only see it when the car has not been driven for a bit and is parked in the rain in our driveway which is slightly slanted. I did the soapwater and blower test and couldnt find any leaks...

Found one leak. Water came through the screwes for the weatherstrip channel above the screw, one was even missing and it was all wet where it shouldnt have been.... so i fixed that.

The other one by the kickpanels must come in somewhere between the door and the front end of the roof rail weatherstrip.... havent quite figured it out yet..

Back