Wave Washers and horsehoe clips for parking brake lever

ArnieJr

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the rear drums on my '69 Chrysler 300. The only thing I'm stuck on is the horseshoe clip and wave washer for the parking brake lever. It SEEMS pretty straight forward, washer and then the clip, but is there any special procedure or tool I would need to make sure it all stays put? (see attached pictures of hardware kit and what was on the car (right rear).
Also, the wave washer looks to still be in decent shape (I had to pry them off with a screw driver and pliers). But if I need to replace it, where would I find them. They're 1 cm inner diameter, 2 cm outer.
drum brake kit.png
parking brake lever.JPG

I don't think anyone sells the wave washers, since they aren't a critical item to the operation of the brakes.

I usually put the washer between the parking brake lever and the brake shoe. It makes it a bit easier to install the horseshoe clip.

To install the clip, just slide it onto the pin and squeeze the legs together with pliers.

Jeff

Wave washers are probably available from a local Business that specializes in fasteners and hardware, even a large hardware/building sypply business. Home Despot? Lindsay

I don't think anyone sells the wave washers, since they aren't a critical item to the operation of the brakes.

Jeff

I wouldn't discount the wave washer. It is there for a reason. I don't know exactly why but having been a dealership mechanic I don't deviate from original design. The last few brake spring kits I bought have included that washer. Plus, I have a box with all sorts of miscellaneous hardware I have saved over the last 45 plus years lol.

I wouldn't discount the wave washer. It is there for a reason. I don't know exactly why but having been a dealership mechanic I don't deviate from original design. The last few brake spring kits I bought have included that washer. Plus, I have a box with all sorts of miscellaneous hardware I have saved over the last 45 plus years lol.

I can only think of two purposes for the washer:

1. To lessen or prevent the park brake lever from rattling.

2. If installed between the lever and shoe, it will give you a bit of clearance and possibly prevent the lever from binding or rusting to the shoe.

Jeff

OK guys, I'm working on my 67 Fury and whoever did the last brake job did some sloppy work (the passenger side drum is from a 70 Monaco which is a lot wider but seems to have worked - I need to go through receipts just for S's & G's to see who my grandmother had do the work last, could have been my uncle or a shop). Anyway the shop manual isn't real clear, does the wave washer go between the parking brake lever and the rear of the shoe with only the clip on the front or does the washer and clip both go on the front? & No I'm not leaving it off as my son is suggesting (even though he's in the process of being ASE trained!).

Back