We do things a little bit differently here Down Under

Cool video. But I have a question. Wasn’t the fwd look Aussie Dodge Phoenix a Dodge body and frame? In ‘69, why did Chrysler rebadge a Plymouth Fury to a Dodge, I can understand changing the name from Polara or Monaco because it didn’t work in another market, but a Plymouth with a Dodge nameplate, just seems confusing.

Cool video. But I have a question. Wasn’t the fwd look Aussie Dodge Phoenix a Dodge body and frame? In ‘69, why did Chrysler rebadge a Plymouth Fury to a Dodge, I can understand changing the name from Polara or Monaco because it didn’t work in another market, but a Plymouth with a Dodge nameplate, just seems confusing.
Probably because the Dodge name was known and used down under, Dodge Phoenix's were sold until the early 70s, the Plymouth brand wasn't used after the 50s. Chrysler Australia sold Dodge pickups and trucks for many years. The Dodge Phoenix's were imported in CKD crates from Canada and assembled in Chrysler's Melbourne factory. Canada is a fellow member of the British Commonwealth so there was likely some benefit like reduced import duties compared to the US. Perhaps the US should join the British Commonwealth - I'm sure Donald would get on well with the queen.

Lol

starting in 65 the dodge Phoenix was based on the Fury which they made until 72.
made meaning put together from ckd kits shipped from canada... canada making ckd RHD cars for export.
and south africa had the 69-73 chrysler 383 which was a RHD dodge monaco
wouldnt have seemed anymore confusing to an aussie than the 75 imperial becoming a 76 new yorker here.

O.K. You Canadian Fellas & Anyone Else who might know.
Question: Who supplied the RHD Steering Components, Canada, Australia or WHO?
We have battled for the Last 40 Yrs to find Pittman Arms, Idlers & Lower Ball Joints.
Some have even resorted to using the American LBJs which Double our Turning Circle. PIB
(About an Inch Longer in the Throw).
And don't even mention Rack & Pinion Conversion.
Would be Nice to find the Original Casting Dies.
Tony.M

We have battled for the Last 40 Yrs to find Pittman Arms, Idlers & Lower Ball Joints.
Some have even resorted to using the American LBJs which Double our Turning Circle. PIB
Tony.M
Considering today's technology Tony, why couldn't the part get scanned into cad/cam software so the LHD components can be "flipped" into RHD, and then using 3D printing the RHD components can be made?

Seems metal car parts are 3D printed so these old parts should be able to also???

Le Baron 73
Unfortunately the RHD Conversion is Not a Mirror Image of the LHD Setup.
As I remember, and it's been a Lot of Years since I actually Looked.
The LHD Setup has the Steering Box jammed into the Corner of the L/H Rail & the Engine Cross Member with the Pitman & Idler Arms going back to the Tie Rod Assy.
The RHD has the Steering Box mounted to the R/H Rail Half Way between the Firewall & the Engine Cross Member with the Pitman & Idler Arms going forwards to the Tie Rod Assy.
While the Tie Rod Assemblies are the Same, I Think, (I have Replaced Outers but not Inners)
The Pitmans & Idlers are Totally Different.
The LHD LBJs are Identical in Design BUT the Throw Arm is Longer giving Less Turning Effect & so more or less Doubling the Turning Circle.
A Total PIB when Parking.
BB Models all have a Centre Outlet Exhaust Manifold to Clear the S/Box.
Tony.M

Tony.M

Hey mate the only parts that dont swap for us are the lower ball joints and thats because they're longer for some weird reason, all the other front end bits work fine. Jim Robertson can re-co the lower ball joints for you in the proper old fasioned way too!

Another right-hand drive Dodge from what seems to be OZ (the Flickr member who posted the photo states that he shoots around Melbourne):

If any of our Australian members could comment on this RHD 1971 Polara (painted in what seems to be GQ5, no less), that would be great -- any hints about RHD fuselage Polaras in general or this car in particular.

Calling also 1971 Polara fans, including but not limited to @Walter Joy @71Polara383 @polara71 @3C's & a D? @David1907 @akiran @saforwardlook @A38Valiant

Last edited:
Back