Weather strip, work or not?

Justin Plant

Reaction score
It's not secret the aftermarket love "Formals" get is very slim. Chrysler C bodies in general don't seem to enjoy a lot of support from any era. There's a thread, i cannot find now, that is dedicated to alternative parts. I saw an ad for Steele Rubber. No, they still don't produce much for Formals especially Hardtops. But, what about a 1973 Caprice? or Le Sabre? The shape of the car's roof is strikingly similar. Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried anything like this.....

Watching with interest as I’m still looking for weatherstripping for my 1972 Chrysler.

I have bought alot of weatherstripping and seals from Rock Auto in the universal section under body. You just need to know the profile of what you need. They usualy sell it by the foot and it is very reasonable also.

Body & Lamp Assembly Weatherstrip Parts | RockAuto

1666963547841.png

To me, the observed issue with GM-spec weatherstrips is that they had a seemingly thick skin, but little underneath. Plus how the weatherstrip and glass interfaced could be different.

Using the online catalogs to get the correct style and measurement in roll goods might work, if you can bond the center section to the end pieces successfully. Those "joints" in the OEM weatherstrips usually are more of a block of rubber, for reinforcement, than what is in the intermediate areas.

Just some thoughts and theories,
CBODY67

There's been much discussion over the years about using the GM weatherstrip on a formal, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried it.

It would certainly be worth the effort to contact Steele and see if you could purchase a small sample piece for test purposes.

In addition to the '71-'76 full size, there are several other GM bodies that are going to use that style of weatherstrip: '73-'77 mid size, '78-'88 mid size, '70-'81 Camaro/Firebird.

Jeff

I ended up using outer and inner door/window channel seals from a 1978 El Camino got my NYB. Long enough to cut down and a fairly good match on the profile.

Back