Weatherstrip

straightarrow

Reaction score
Where can I get the weatherstrip or window seal that runs above both windows of my 1978 4dr. Thanx, Brent

Brent,
Short answer is not available however, there is a GM extrusion available from Dave at Restoration Specialities. You must cut off your end pieces though and glue them in with weatherstrip adhesive. I did my 78 NYB and if you see the photobucket link below it matches up pretty good. Tap the info button on the pics to get the write up on it and the part numbers are there as well.

Kip

It Will Be Fine

Dear Kip:

Thanks for your great post. I have a 1977 Newport Coupe (two door hardtop) and my weatherstripping--- on the top edge where the window (rolled up) meets the car body is now cracked and obviously showing signs of great age.

I contacted Matt of Restoration specialties and here was his reply:

PETER

IM NOT SURE WHAT PIECE THAT WOULD BE ID HAVE TO SAY THOUGH MY PART NUMBER AS1720 OR AS1799 WOULD BE THE ONLY TWO I LIST FOR 77 AND UP GM CARS

TAKE A LOOK AT THEM ONLINE AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK

THANKS MATT

Here are the links to the part numbers:

AS1720 96"

AS1799 96"

Do you have any ideas? I realize your C-Body is a 4 door; mine's a two door. I have a hard time determining whether any the parts suggested is correct.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Peter Clancy

OK, will do. What a pain. I find all kinds of sites that sell weather stripping, but then they direct me to their catalog and ask me to choose the right style, which I find impossible to do because I'd have to remove some the weather stripping on the car to somehow compare the shape, size and inner/outer dimensions with the small confusing diagrams in the catalog....and well, I'm not taking any of mine off unless I am darn sure that what I bought works and......so around and around we go.

and well, I'm not taking any of mine off unless I am darn sure that what I bought works and
Find anyone who's got a junk Formal and ask them to sell you the shitty roof rail weatherstrip off of it. Better yet, just a section in a 5 dollar express box. You'll have your profile example.

"Pclancy, post: 607851, member: 5024"]Dear Kip:

Thanks for your great post. I have a 1977 Newport Coupe (two door hardtop) and my weatherstripping--- on the top edge where the window (rolled up) meets the car body is now cracked and obviously showing signs of great age.

PETER

IM NOT SURE WHAT PIECE THAT WOULD BE ID HAVE TO SAY THOUGH MY PART NUMBER AS1720 OR AS1799 WOULD BE THE ONLY TWO I LIST FOR 77 AND UP GM CARS

THANKS MATT

AS1720 96"

AS1799 96"

Do you have any ideas? I realize your C-Body is a 4 door; mine's a two door. I have a hard time determining whether any the parts suggested is correct.

Peter Clancy”

So sorry Peter for the ridiculously long time replying. The extrusion is 4770, not sure why Matt could not find it. It’s on page 41 of the catalog.

On your question of 2-door over 4-door. The weatherstip is an easier install on 2-door as you won’t have to glue in the C-Pillar extrusion. It just extends into the C-pillar.

As a side note, the 2-door and 4-door are identical in length and should be interchangeable except you would have to glue on the C-pillar 45 and extension.

Hope this helps.

C63E33D5-0212-4092-B465-B743E39B314A.jpeg

I’m so sorry to have been this tardy replying to my own post.

To the questions of 2-door vs 4-door. Originally I never bothered with the 2-door cars as a source for weatherstrip parts but then I pulled one to find that, except for the C-pillar extension, the 2-door weatherstrip is long enough to reach the 4-door turndown for the C-pillar extension.

In other words, the 2-door weatherstrip goes along the longer glass and buries itself about 6” into the track and stops, no need to turn down the C-pillar. On a 4-door you could use the 2-door, just attach the C-pillar extension.

"Pclancy, post: 607851, member: 5024"]Dear Kip:

PETER

THANKS MATT

AS1720 96"

AS1799 96"

Peter Clancy”

So sorry Peter for the ridiculously long time replying. The extrusion is 4770, not sure why Matt could not find it. It’s on page 41 of the catalog.

On your question of 2-door over 4-door. The weatherstip is an easier install on 2-door as you won’t have to glue in the C-Pillar extrusion. It just extends into the C-pillar.

As a side note, the 2-door and 4-door are identical in length and should be interchangeable except you would have to glue on the C-pillar 45 and extension.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 262449
Thanks Kip! Will call Matt today.

KIP:

One last set of questions...apologies for being an idiot...suppose I should look at your video again?

Suppose I buy the extrusion you mention (4770) from Restoration specialities. Is there anything special in terms of technique that I need to do to replace the roof rail weatherstripping? Can I just replace the part that runs along the roof rail and do I need to replace the whole enchilada, that is the parts that run down into the A and C pillars (there is no B pillar on this coupe) ? Where do you cut and replace? If the 4770 works, why haven't others with similar C Body Formal problems gone down this road?

Thanks

KIP:

One last set of questions...apologies for being an idiot...suppose I should look at your video again?

Suppose I buy the extrusion you mention (4770) from Restoration specialities. Is there anything special in terms of technique that I need to do to replace the roof rail weatherstripping? Can I just replace the part that runs along the roof rail and do I need to replace the whole enchilada, that is the parts that run down into the A and C pillars (there is no B pillar on this coupe) ? Where do you cut and replace? If the 4770 works, why haven't others with similar C Body Formal problems gone down this road?

Thanks

You will cut your old ends off and glue them then, on my 4-door at least, ran it up the A-pillar where the factory glued in a 45 degree piece before going on toward the rear of the car. I tried to replicate it and cut out the 45 degree turn and reuse it. That meant there was four joints to glue instead of just two and was a mistake so I scrapped that and ran another piece (I ordered extra) and when I got to the top of the A-Pillar I just made the 45 with no cuts or glue and went back to the C-Pillar.

Take a look at your car at the top of the A-Pillar and see if the factory glued a 45 in there. If yes, then I eliminated it. That means you should only have one end to glue on and it’s the one buried don with the door hinges.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kip. I'm sure you won't hear the last of me--I am going to ordere the weatherstripping Monday. How much should I get? For both sides?

Kip, what are the chances that you will be at Carlisle in July 2019 with your NYB?

Every person with a Formsl on this forum would sure like to see your craftsmanship!

:canada::usflag:

Kip, Welcome! Didn't know you're here. We're lucky to have you!

Formal fans...we have another expert on our cars here. I think he has the finest 78 NYBs you'll ever see and one of them is the nicest NYB Salon on the planet (in my opinion).

Kip's white 78 in this pic- my wagon in the lead as we convoyed into Moparfest back in 07 (we had a Cordoba chase car).

DSCF7285.jpg

Wow!

I would like to see that convoy head to Carlisle one these years. Three way tie for 1st place stock Formal class!

Where can I get the weatherstrip or window seal that runs above both windows of my 1978 4dr. Thanx, Brent
Kip's solution remains the best option at this point. That said:
I have been in 6 month conversation with Jeff at Restoration Specialities over whether or not the correct seal (at least the roof rail part; maybe not the part that goes down into the A pillar doors) can be produced. I even sent him a sample that I purchased from Murray Park.
Jeff claims that he is getting quotes and that he feels he can cost effectively produce the correct weatherstripping.
Whether or not this is true remains to be determined. But it is clear he is trying.
Our next phone call is scheduled for 15 April. This would be the time for all of us who badly need this weatherstripping and want it to be an exact reproduction to call Jeff and voice support.
If Jeff flakes out, I'm going for Kip's solution, and Jeff has that GM seal in stock. We call this option door B.

Back