Welborn museum membership

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
a67c846e-bcbd-4a92-b8fd-6d2d4b620dac.jpg

Wellborn Musclecar Museum

That Orange Daytona is just stunning! I need to visit that museum. Thanks for the reminder Will.

Tim Wellborn is a prince of a fellow, and he's super enthusiastic when talking about Mopars, be they his or yours. I first met him at Amelia a few years ago when he had the #71 car there, and he showed me all kinds of "cheat" secrets from those Days of Thunder. We cross paths at most Mecums, and once we discovered we were bidding against each other for a Steve Juliano Collection item. He backed off and went after another item on his long list of goodies for his museum. A real class act.

What are with these 442 and SS 454 decals/emblems doing on the ad when Tim is a mopar guy?! :wtf:. I see that they will soon be excepting applications for 1970 cars for a reunion, that should be a good show and would love to see pictures of it.

What are with these 442 and SS 454 decals/emblems doing on the ad when Tim is a mopar guy?! :wtf:. I see that they will soon be excepting applications for 1970 cars for a reunion, that should be a good show and would love to see pictures of it.

Tim is a serious enthusiast of all rare and powerful factory supercars. He and his brother have a long Mopar back ground though and they are his first interest.

He is also a regular at the "Big Easy Mopar" show in mid March along with Ted Stevens and several other known Mopar folks.

He and his brother have a long Mopar back ground though and they are his first interest.

I hear Mr. Wellborn was always interested in the '71 Chargers, believe his family had one when he was growing up and he would wash it all the time. Explains why he has so many of them in his collection. Never really knew much about his brother

Yes . . . Tim is a real class act. I ran into him at Mopar Nats maybe 15 years ago. Was admiring his 71 Tawny Gold Charger (didn't even recognize him at first), and he came up and we got to talking, and he was telling me that it was his favorite one. Great guy, just like talking to your buddy down at the local Friday night cruise in! I'm going to have to make a trip back down to Alabama too!

All cars in Tim's museum are maintained in top running condition. One of the perks of membership is, once a year they select 5/6 or seven representative cars from the collection, from 340 4 speeds to hemi cars. Members gather at the museum and they all take off on a half day tour with the members driving the cars. They stop at intervals and swap cars so everyone gets chance to feel what a 340, six pack and hemi feels like to drive. Even includes a lunch.
Beats the heck out of just sitting and looking at the cars in a show.

All cars in Tim's museum are maintained in top running condition. One of the perks of membership is, once a year they select 5/6 or seven representative cars from the collection, from 340 4 speeds to hemi cars. Members gather at the museum and they all take off on a half day tour with the members driving the cars. They stop at intervals and swap cars so everyone gets chance to feel what a 340, six pack and hemi feels like to drive. Even includes a lunch.
Beats the heck out of just sitting and looking at the cars in a show.

That's truly amazing!! Hats off to Mr. Wellborn for not only his dedication to restoring and preserving these historic cars, but also for his unceasing passion and wanting to give a few lucky individuals the opportunity to experience the glory days of American muscle cars.
It would be an honor to meet Tim and tour his playground! It would seem that he is just a wonderful guy who enjoys sharing his hobby and passion. Could be like any of us hanging out at the local car show or cruise night. Thank you Will for sharing this.

I have never met Tim or his wife. But I have listened to several interviews with him and he is just like one of us!

His wife Pam is very nice, and she's just as much of a "teenager" as Tim is! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At Kissimmee this year I mentioned how much I liked his beautiful, unrestored 74 Charger SE w/ 318 and perfect black brocade interior, since it was outside he said "Let's go out and look at it! Here sit and start it. Hit the AC. Blip the throttle...I put OEM duals on it...sounds like a 340, huh?! Look in the trunk....amazing huh? Can you believe the window slats aren't destroyed by the sun?" And on and on. With all that he had going on inside the Glass House with the $$$$$ gems of his auction collection, he's outside having fun with me and his $25K Charger. [I considered bidding on it for a few minutes.] That's how he is.

Also, he mentioned to me at Indy last May when we were fighting over that Juliano item......."Yaknow, I'd kinda like to have a Hurst someday." :)

One my favorite museums, will be getting to another one while in LA, Petersen Museum, in the next few weeks

Here's a shot of Ellie and Pam wellborn sharing an alligator on a swamp tour in New Orleans. Tim's in the background with a camera.
Yes..... It was a live alligator'
DSC01847.JPG

Always hoped to get to his place someday and meet him. That's on my bucket list for sure!!

When my C8 comes in around the late-April timeframe, one of my first road trips will be to Wellborn. Tim is such a nice guy, he'll allow ANYTHING into his parking lot. :p

Back