Welcome Metalmarty to FCBO!

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm Martijn, 25YO, Embedded and Automotive engineer.
I'm from The Netherlands.
My currently owned cars are:
'72 VW Beetle 1302s 1.9L
'92 VW Golf MK1 Convertible 2.0L
'00 Subaru Outback 2.5L

I've always wanted a late 60's american car.
It seemed to be a dream for years to come.
But I was visiting a friend in North Carolina when I saw an ad of a '68 chrysler.
I decided to take a look (even though it was way above my holiday budget).
The sellers were really nice and the car was in better shape than expected.
And what do you know, I'm now also the happy new owner of a '68 Chrysler Newport 4dr hardtop!

It's really nice, no rust and original paint! The interior is also in pretty good shape for a car this old.

It is currently still in the states and I'm planning to ship it to The Netherlands later this year.

I might have some questions when the car arrives.

czrm7o1n1g_lJrUJZns3ADX_r2UYQPS2IUbNJlCxGNHSDEa2H-CjX0Ckap7sDXU_764sLeMZiNd5t6c3ltd=w676-h507-no.jpg

tyeAXwm34BG3NQx489gR_IQGSiBHyWijkCzjbwyRzZPG9McXPzEgyqfha1tIAZcMeRreT03ThxXBUw4MTg0=w676-h507-no.jpg

0mFeE-IoLihvDx6E2Gp_B3HUxTRVd7PfNbLFCk2qnS82_vnpZfsAockeINlOJlnRHXsJfa8iMNDTtlf_ytQ=w676-h507-no.jpg

MDagI83EW5y-aq7JNGuyDC92mcuS7ajXRaA1isoNqH45H1ucJX-gkT2d1S2bbPG4N5opnY6HgMZ1htPk2WZ=w381-h507-no.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm Martijn, 25YO, Embedded and Automotive engineer.
I'm from The Netherlands.
My currently owned cars are:
'72 VW Beetle 1302s 1.9L
'92 VW Golf MK1 Convertible 2.0L
'00 Subaru Outback 2.5L

I've always wanted a late 60's american car.
It seemed to be a dream for years to come.
But I was visiting a friend in North Carolina when I saw an ad of a '68 chrysler.
I decided to take a look (even though it was way above my holiday budget).
The sellers were really nice and the car was in better shape than expected.
And what do you know, I'm now also the happy new owner of a '68 Chrysler Newport 4dr hardtop!

It's really nice, no rust and original paint! The interior is also in pretty good shape for a car this old.

It is currently still in the states and I'm planning to ship it to The Netherlands later this year.

I might have some questions when the car arrives.

View attachment 355754
View attachment 355755
View attachment 355756
View attachment 355757
Welcome

Thanks all.
I'm really excited with my first 60s V8 powered american car. And I've loved the '68 Chrysler newport front end for a long time. Still can't believe I own one at this point. Can't wait to ship it back home.

First question...
I'm pretty familiar with a lot of (old) euro cars (obviously). And the last couple of years I'm starting to get familiar with the american cars.

I know that classic 4 door cars are not really popular in the states. Just out of curiosity, how rare is a '68 Newport 4dr hardtop these days? I've been looking around the last couple of weeks and' 68 4dr HT like I've bought seem really hard to find. (it's even hard to find any '68 newport stuff. Lots more to find on' 67 and '69 so it seems). I did came across some "normal"' '68 4dr sedans, but not the hardtops.

Thanks all.
I'm really excited with my first 60s V8 powered american car. And I've loved the '68 Chrysler newport front end for a long time. Still can't believe I own one at this point. Can't wait to ship it back home.

First question...
I'm pretty familiar with a lot of (old) euro cars (obviously). And the last couple of years I'm starting to get familiar with the american cars.

I know that classic 4 door cars are not really popular in the states. Just out of curiosity, how rare is a '68 Newport 4dr hardtop these days? I've been looking around the last couple of weeks and' 68 4dr HT like I've bought seem really hard to find. (it's even hard to find any '68 newport stuff. Lots more to find on' 67 and '69 so it seems). I did came across some "normal"' '68 4dr sedans, but not the hardtops.
Chrysler sold a lot of Newports in 1968. The 4dr hardtop was fancier and more expensive compared to the sedan.
They are not "rare" so to speak,just fewer left nowadays.
I restored a 68 Newport Custom 4dr hardtop and my observation many were driven to death,rusted out,derbied and crushed. Others ended up as vital organ donors to Mopar muscle cars needing the big blocks/727's.
I could be partially to blame since my car used up almost the majority of 68 Newport NOS stuff and a total of 6 parts cars gave something up for mine,LOL!! :D

The 4dr hardtop roofline on the 68 Newport,Newport Custom,and 300 were offered one year only so the trim can be hard to find.
Through the years i did some "networking" and I can point you to the right direction if needed.
I may even have some leftover used parts too.
Just PM me.
Cheers
37943256_10155406308161244_5474172359780859904_n.jpg

Chrysler sold a lot of Newports in 1968. The 4dr hardtop was fancier and more expensive compared to the sedan.
They are not "rare" so to speak,just fewer left nowadays.
I restored a 68 Newport Custom 4dr hardtop and my observation many were driven to death,rusted out,derbied and crushed. Others ended up as vital organ donors to Mopar muscle cars needing the big blocks/727's.
I could be partially to blame since my car used up almost the majority of 68 Newport NOS stuff and a total of 6 parts cars gave something up for mine,LOL!! :D

The 4dr hardtop roofline on the 68 Newport,Newport Custom,and 300 were offered one year only so the trim can be hard to find.
Through the years i did some "networking" and I can point you to the right direction if needed.
I may even have some leftover used parts too.
Just PM me.
Cheers
View attachment 361636

Thanks for the information!
Your Newport looks great!
I've send you a PM :)

Dan ben je ook zo bij de moparshop .......
Is ook altijd een season opener en closer ( april en okt ) ...dit jaar helaas niet:(.
Komen ook altijd dik honderd auto,s .....relaxed middagje uit.
Mopar nationals kom ik al een jaar of 12 plusminus 300 auto,s.
Volgend jaar maar weer ......hopen we.
Ken nog wel een paar Mopar jongens uit Nijmegen.

Dan ben je ook zo bij de moparshop .......
Is ook altijd een season opener en closer ( april en okt ) ...dit jaar helaas niet:(.
Komen ook altijd dik honderd auto,s .....relaxed middagje uit.
Mopar nationals kom ik al een jaar of 12 plusminus 300 auto,s.
Volgend jaar maar weer ......hopen we.
Ken nog wel een paar Mopar jongens uit Nijmegen.

Oh verhip, Moparshop is inderdaad maar 2 uurtjes rijden vanaf Nijmegen, dat valt nog mee.
Mopar nationals en Spring Fling wil ik volgend jaar ook eens gaan kijken.
Ik was er al vanuit gegaan dat er dit jaar niks meer ging gebeuren. Scheelt, nu kan ik met meer rust aan de Newport werken.
Ik ken op dit moment 1 Mopar jongen uit Nijmegen, de anderen leer ik graag een keer kennen ergens.
Hopelijk kan ik volgend jaar wat meer mensen leren kennen, weinig mensen die ik ken die iets met auto's hebben.

Ik zat even bij je garagefoto's te kijken, mooie plek heb je!
En meerdere auto's zo te zien
Bedankt voor de info

Back