Welcome Mr. Romeo to FCBO!

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 1978 Chrysler Newport My horn stopped working this morning. Not sure if it is the relay ,the fuse of the horn itself.

Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 1978 Chrysler Newport My horn stopped working this morning. Not sure if it is the relay ,the fuse of the horn itself.

Most of the time, horns themselves do not fail. If you have a test light, try checking the fuse first. If the fuse lights the test light on both ends of the fuse, the fuse is ok. Next, unplug the horn and have a helper activate the horn, the lead to the horn should light the test light. If you have power to the horn, the horn itself is bad. If there is no power to the horn lead, you will need to test the horn relay next. The relay is activated by completing the ground circuit. Try pushing on the horn ring and see if you can hear the relay click, if the relay is clicking, the contacts inside it are cycling. Could have burned/corroded contacts or the wiring from the relay to the horn could be open someplace. If the relay does not click, the relay is bad or the wiring in the steering column has failed. Do these tests and report back.

Dave

Back