Welcome SDP68IMP to FCBO!

SDP68IMP

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Chrysler Imperial Convertible and need parts.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! What do you need?

Thanks to all whom welcomed me. Now some of my early problems.
1. How can I get the front pass side and rear drivers side spark plugs out. There is not enough room to get a socket on them. I considered removing the motor mount and jacking up the engine but the huge cross member blocks access to any jacking point. Help

2. My headlights cut on and off. From everything I've read there is a 20 amp relay internally in the switch that overheats. Some say to take the switch apart and clean it. Here is what I did. I considered that the Halogen bulbs were drawing more amperage so I replaced all four with original seal beam lamps. It helped a little but still cuts off. I have tried to take the dash apart but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it apart. There are 2 bolts right beside the windshield that might be holding it in, but it looks like they were installed before the windshield. Help

I need to post some pix of my ride. I absolutely love it. I also need to update my pix, I have lost 60+ lbs since last year.

Thanks to all whom welcomed me. Now some of my early problems.
1. How can I get the front pass side and rear drivers side spark plugs out. There is not enough room to get a socket on them. I considered removing the motor mount and jacking up the engine but the huge cross member blocks access to any jacking point. Help
Oh how I love not having air conditioning in my 67 coupe! Keep at, I just replaced all of the plugs in the other coupe that I sold and it was an air-conditioned car and it was a pain in the *** but I did it all with standard tools, from the top and without lifting the engine. It helps to have relatively thin arms.:lol:

Last edited:
2. My headlights cut on and off. From everything I've read there is a 20 amp relay internally in the switch that overheats. Some say to take the switch apart and clean it. Here is what I did. I considered that the Halogen bulbs were drawing more amperage so I replaced all four with original seal beam lamps. It helped a little but still cuts off. I have tried to take the dash apart but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it apart. There are 2 bolts right beside the windshield that might be holding it in, but it looks like they were installed before the windshield. Help
Every once in a while I have to jiggle the switch in order to get my lights on but they always stay on once I get them to cooperate.
It can be a nuisance but now I have several spare switches and I will probably send one off for a rebuild so that when mine finally stops cooperating I’ll have a good one to replace it with. There is a guy on the site that has a rebuilding service for these and other switches.
I will alert him to this thread.
@Devinism

Oh how I love not having air conditioning in my 67 coupe! Keep at, I just replaced all of the plugs in the other coat that I sold and it was an air-conditioned car and it was a pain in the *** but I did it all with standard tools, from the top and without lifting the engine. It helps to have relatively thin arms.:lol:
its not the ac thats the problem, its the frame on pass side. The socket will not go onto the plug, not enough clearance. Almost not even enough room to get the 90 plug boot off.

Every once in a while I have to jiggle the switch in order to get my lights on but they always stay on once I get them to cooperate.
It can be a nuisance but now I have several spare switches and I will probably send one off for a rebuild so that when mine finally stops cooperating I’ll have a good one to replace it with. There is a guy on the site that has a rebuilding service for these and other switches.
I will alert him to this thread.
@Devinism
are you using halogen or seal beams? This is not a short problem, its an amperage issue.

its not the ac thats the problem, its the frame on pass side. The socket will not go onto the plug, not enough clearance. Almost not even enough room to get the 90 plug boot off.
Oh that one. Box wrench. You can reach right under the alternator from the front.

MY RETIREMENT PRESENT FROM THE COMPANY

SD68IMP1.jpg

Back