Weld a fuel tank

Clover

Reaction score
Does that sound crazy? It had been 35 years since I last did it but it still works.

0898F5AA-71FF-470B-A499-0524031FB74A.jpeg

4282C0FE-6492-4E9E-90E3-9E65D7828FE1.jpeg

F3CFFBF6-8DE0-48E1-8CE5-01545038A321.jpeg

C0250F23-0601-41C9-B4C3-BD8F29EF5425.jpeg

My uncle has welded sump on mine before. Old man way is to pump it with exhaust fumes, better hope you're not running Rich tho :)

A more interesting question is how did that 22 caliber bullet hole get in your fuel tank? I would be worried about porosity on that weld.

Dave

A more interesting question is how did that 22 caliber bullet hole get in your fuel tank? I would be worried about porosity on that weld.

Dave
lol on the bullet hole. Ice pick did it. The photo was just the initial weld to close the hole. After grinding, I rewelded to make sure that all the margins are good. I’ve done this before.

lol on the bullet hole. Ice pick did it The photo was just the initial weld to close the hole. After grinding, I rewelded to make sure that all the margins are good. I’ve done this before.

Cool

Dave

I’m illustrating a technique that I learned a long time ago. I never claimed to be the prettiest welder. It’ll hold.

I've done the brazing of the hole in the past but preferred to used J-B Weld gas tank repair kit.
810hR8ZyRbL._SL1500_.jpg

I’m illustrating a technique that I learned a long time ago. I never claimed to be the prettiest welder. It’ll hold.
Is that the tank from the GTX? It doesn’t look like a B-body tank.

Monaco tank, just saw that in the other thread.

Last edited:
Being an imperfect welder, I have to grind and check any pits to make sure that they’re just shallow pits.

6944C587-92B6-41FD-B4E3-52B1397516DE.jpeg

3C4F4D37-9C72-4884-B15D-5BEC4602726A.jpeg

My uncle has welded sump on mine before. Old man way is to pump it with exhaust fumes, better hope you're not running Rich tho :)
The point is to drive the oxygen out of the tank... gasoline fumes are about impossible to get cleared out. If the car had a running smog pump or misfire, it might bring the O2 level up to interesting...
I have never used a MIG, but I have soldered a few. I like the exhaust idea
I have a buddy who turns big propane tanks into charcoal grilles this way. Just run the engine long enough to push out the O2 before using a torch to cut the tank into a flip up lid, add a hinge and grille supports... he has an old boat trailer with 2 huge ones for smoking and a smaller one for steaks at the back. A popular item at big gatherings.

lol on the bullet hole. Ice pick did it. The photo was just the initial weld to close the hole. After grinding, I rewelded to make sure that all the margins are good. I’ve done this before.

A bullet hole is easily explained, an ice pick, on the other hand, requires a bit more of an explanation. Please, enlighten us.

I remember when I was a kid, my Dad patched a hole in his Tempest using a bar of soap. Lasted till we got home, then he had it fixed right.

Back