welding w/ wheel bearings

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. Blackmopar

Blackmopar Member

in this episode of welding with wheel bearings, we'll see a bearing race spending quality bonding time with a passenger spindle......

so - obviously dusted the spindle. it toasted the shoes and bent much of the brake hardware as well.

So question is i was thinking to upgrade to ECI or Scarebird disc swap kit - but i need at least one new spindle now also - is there a kit with disc spindles included somewhere and /or that have heavier duty spindles for beefier wheel bearings for instance - like the 73s (I think)????

does that make sense? or should i just source the same spindle I have now and do the drum kit upgrade?

spindle3.jpg

spindle1.jpg

spindle2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. 68plymouth383

68plymouth383 Senior Member

I have a good used spindle.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  3. Blackmopar

Blackmopar Member

email sent, thanks man

as option I am still curious what the 'upgrade' disc spindle would be and then what kit - am i correct thinking it is the 73?

4. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

I love it! lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Clean it up (file the high spots)and put it back with new bearings and grease.
    Those bearings lasted millions of miles in a lot of cars, just because some monkey put it back together wrong is no reason for a "upgrade" to larger bearings. They will do the same thing if not packed right and preloaded correctly.

6. Blackmopar

Blackmopar Member

i totally agree this failure was the cause of PO/PM - i shoulda gone through the fronts by now with other stuff that id seen - just didnt put 2's together soon enough!

My concern specifically with the spindle now is structural integrity since the pieces were hot enough to literally weld the race 3/4 around the shaft. Id hate for that spindle to crack under pressure down the road - im also running 18s - and discs would look a million times better so i can use this episode for the excuse.

the question really is - do i source the 65 spindle and do the disc upgrades available for those spindles instead of spending some dollars on new shoes, hardware kits and rotor or...

should I upgrade to a......????......spindle to get the larger bearings AND do that kit while im at it) lets face it - even though ma mopar no doubt engineered our barges braking components well, ability to upgrade to heavier duty stuff sits well with me

Sean

7. Blackmopar

Blackmopar Member

can someone confirm if 66 spindles are the same (interchangeable) as 65 (or what the difference is between the two years) haven't been able to find anything in search and Im able to buy 66 if they will work

thanks

8. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I would say they are all the same 65-72 drum brake they take the same ball joints.

9. Blackmopar

Blackmopar Member

thanks 70bbd - i appreciate it

10. Blackmopar

Blackmopar Member

so from the other threads Ive looked at Ive ordered up the ECI disk swap and m/c kit - hoping to see they ship today

Also hooked up a spindle from fellow member - should have by Friday

looking forward to this repair/upgrade and will post when I get parts

11. Cobalt117

Cobalt117 New Member

Hey, OP! Did you make it? I have a simillar problem right now and I don't how to solve it. Where to start from?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. LiquidBlue

LiquidBlue New Member

You can start from NOT resurrecting 5 years old topic. Create a new one, for God's sake! As for your question - it seems like you're just lack of experience. If I'm right, there are a lot of guides and articles on the internet about it. For example, not so long ago I needed to figure out how to work with underwater welder. And I've found an interesting guide about it on this prowelderguide.com site. Try to search there too. Maybe you will get lucky. I think you will. They have a lot of different guides and articles there.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mike66Chryslers

Mike66Chryslers Well-Known Member

On the bright side, at least he knows how to use the forum search instead of starting a thread to ask a question that's been covered before.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

So, what the limit 2 years? :poke:

Shipping options to Sweden

People who live in glass houses....

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  15. Cazman

Cazman Active Member FCBO Gold Member

I have found it helpful on a forum like this to continue threads. Even if there is a long pause.

Now the Tesla forum, where product changes every two days might make that problematic. I think the C Body's and our experiences are in for the long haul. Heck, I might etch in on some of my parts "to fix this go to www.forcbodiesonly.com". Might help someone 50 years from now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 68PK21 440.6bbl

68PK21 440.6bbl Old Man with a Hat

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

At least LiquidBlue has his crap together and get's it more than right for a newbie! The OP hasn't been seen here since May 22 2015, do you really think that he'll ever get a answer? NOT!!!!!! But what do I know according to the so called experts here?
    Blackmopar

18. Cazman

Cazman Active Member FCBO Gold Member

But, its not always about the OP direct question and answer. It can add to the knowledge base. So if someone else chimes in now and helps, this topic becomes richer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 68PK21 440.6bbl

68PK21 440.6bbl Old Man with a Hat

Correct, in all my years as a mechanic I have never seen anyone screw up a wheel bearing and spindle so bad like this post (learn something new every day).
    I think maybe I've seen a trailer axle bearing burnout like that, (I just walk away).

But in today's climate I've had many I encounter in traffic with brake grinding and rod knocking noises.

Brakes-grinding-funny-auto-repair-meme-47.jpg

GROUNDED.jpg

63275d1384882119-should-garage-sell-car-100%25-worn-brake-discs-brake-rotor1347755845.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Yea, but I like to point out hypocrisy. You can't scold someone when you do the same thing.

Am I being hypocritical by pointing this out... Yea, a little... So I'm pointing it out to myself right now....

Seriously, it was meant more as a joke than anything.

• Like Like x 1