The Goose

Reaction score

4877802D-EB46-4BF2-92B9-5A3044BE26A2.jpeg

1A66C2D1-538E-4847-8A16-68FC59322E5D.jpeg

3A698ED2-D8A9-4A73-8852-E99135A02A60.jpeg

342D32FC-8695-43EC-BBCB-6820BACD7A7B.jpeg

D51F5033-B60C-4BBF-BF81-4B47E03A9211.jpeg

That’s mom checking it over....

Picked this up on Saturday. It was about 40k new and these critters are on the absolute bottom of their market value.

I was looking to replace the red light runner totaled mustang convertible but with gas heading to $8 per gallon out here I figured I could settle for this and save nine or ten grand on the GT conv.

Everyone was giving me crap but my choice is drive this or the boss’ Kia Soul. I’d like to retire the Fury to mostly fun car duty.

If you ever wanted one of these tinker toys I’d say now is the time. Mines 100k miles w a new transmission everything works and it runs and looks like a new car.

I’m testing the real world MPG and so far a full tank distance is looking pretty good.

Last edited:
Looks like a very desirable Torino in the background. That is the one I would like to drive........................:poke:

My brother just bought a new Porsche Carrera hardtop that looks much like yours with the dividends his Apple stock paid him last year (he bought a lot of the stock when Apple was in its infancy many years ago).

He is the smart one.....................I just invested my income in old Chrysler products.

I expect you will enjoy your Porsche vert much more than the Kia Soul glorified shoebox. Good choice.

Last edited:

View attachment 490888

View attachment 490889

View attachment 490890

View attachment 490891

View attachment 490892

That’s mom checking it over....

Picked this up on Saturday. It was about 40k new and these critters are on the absolute bottom of their market value.

I was looking to replace the red light runner totaled mustang convertible but with gas heading to $8 per gallon out here I figured I could settle for this and save nine or ten grand on the GT conv.

Everyone was giving me crap but my choice is drive this or the boss’ Kia Soul. I’d like to retire the Fury to mostly fun car duty.

If you ever wanted one of these tinker toys I’d say now is the time. Mines 100k miles w a new transmission everything works and it runs and looks like a new car.

I’m testing the real world MPG and so far a full tank distance is looking pretty good.
Congratulations
I had a 98.
Engine failed with 16k on the clock.
Porsche had casting problems with the 97 and 98 blocks.
I got it fixed, but Porsche only paid for the reconditioned engine. I had to pay over 4K for all of the labor and soft parts.
Had a bad taste in my mouth since the repair, so I sold it.

Off subject, is the car behind the porsche a torino?
Sure is, 1971 GT. I’ve had it since way back in the nineteen hundreds LoL!!! I rescued it from Glendale Az - it was a doghouse for two German shepherds for about 10 years in his backyard. It’s a 351c auto. It’s new engine new trans bucket seat console car. It’s looks and sound pretty tough but it is a dog. One of the few cars I’ve owned that nobody on the street will mess with but can’t actually fight back if it wanted to. We redid the engine 4 times before I gave up on it. 2bbl heads 4 bbl heads different cams etc etc it just remains a sheep in wolfs clothing. I drove it out here and then drove it daily for a while but it’s just not fun to drive. It is a highway bomber 80 mph all day long. It’s not made for the stoplight Grand Prix out here. I love the look but it needs a 429 to be what I’d like it to be. My buddy has a complete thunderjet set up out of a 71 Tbird but it’s in Az and I’m pretty unmotivated when it comes to this car.

Last edited:
Congratulations
I had a 98.
Engine failed with 16k on the clock.
Porsche had casting problems with the 97 and 98 blocks.
I got it fixed, but Porsche only paid for the reconditioned engine. I had to pay over 4K for all of the labor and soft parts.
Had a bad taste in my mouth since the repair, so I sold it.
I thought about that. My buddy back in Penn lives and breathes these things and is actually responsible for pushing me in its direction. I can’t take credit for knowing these are on the clearance rack. Yes they have a horrible rep with premature engine failure. Block porosity and some internal devil called an IMS bearing cause these failures and originally made me dismiss his suggestion for a mustang GT convertible alternative. But his logic is sound and hear him out for a second. Okay the car has 2% premature engine failure rate that’s scared or run potential buyers off - true. Now here’s the good part and it is hard to argue against. All the premature failure cars have already failed. I was told to look for a well used well maintained car without low miles. Anything over 70k has walked out of that mine field. The cars you don’t want to consider are what we’d like to find in anything else, a 10k garage queen that’s been pampered and seldom used. That one could be and still is in the early fail danger zone. Think of it as Adult onset teenage pregnancy an easily avoided issue if you’re just a bit careful with your choices... for what I paid I can walk away with no regrets if this thing lets me down. So far it’s like an eager pup that wants to be taken on a walk. Time will tell but I’m all about 95% off sales.

Looks like a very desirable Torino in the background. That is the one I would like to drive........................:poke:

My brother just bought a new Porsche Carrera hardtop that looks much like yours with the dividends his Apple stock paid him last year (he bought a lot of the stock when Apple was in its infancy many years ago).

He is the smart one.....................I just invested my income in old Chrysler products.

I expect you will enjoy your Porsche vert much more than the Kia Soul glorified shoebox. Good choice.
I’d like to very respectfully disagree. I’ve seen some of your cars. I think we all know who the smart one is...

I find it interesting regarding the comments made about your Torino.

I used to own a 1971 Torino that I bought from an elderly lady who was no longer able to drive anymore who lived near me. It was a 4 door, gold with a white vinyl roof, really nice brocade gold bench seat car with only 35K miles on it at the time.

It was equipped with a 351 Cleveland engine and I found that car exceptionally fast. It would do burnouts at just a quick stab on the pedal to half throttle and was really quick off the line in more normal driving and very lively overall. I used to take her to the market and doctor's appointments etc. and she always loved riding in the car. She delighted in quick take offs. Very fun to drive car and the equal of my 340 Duster at the time. It gave me a lot of respect for some of the Ford products at the time.

Maybe a 429 was not the best choice of engines for that model year unless running Talladega speedway.

I find it interesting regarding the comments made about your Torino.

I used to own a 1971 Torino that I bought from an elderly lady who was no longer able to drive anymore who lived near me. It was a 4 door, gold with a white vinyl roof, really nice brocade gold bench seat car with only 35K miles on it at the time.

It was equipped with a 351 Cleveland engine and I found that car exceptionally fast. It would do burnouts at just a quick stab on the pedal to half throttle and was really quick off the line in more normal driving and very lively overall. I used to take her to the market and doctor's appointments etc. and she always loved riding in the car. She delighted in quick take offs. Very fun to drive car and the equal of my 340 Duster at the time. It gave me a lot of respect for some of the Ford products at the time.

Maybe a 429 was not the best choice of engines for that model year unless running Talladega speedway.

You may very well be right sir. One issue is the 2.76s in the nine inch. I didn’t want to go 4.10 and lose the 80 mph all day long ability. I had two 351c engines and I tried 4 different power combos not one was in Boss 351 territory. I’ve had better luck w 289 and 351w motors. I guess I’m bad mouthing it because any hipo V8 car I’ve owned could whip it. Definitely not in the league of a stout 340. I love the look of the car but I wish it had a different engine. My 351c building was a complete failure and yes I had my Ford guardian angel supervising. That’s who suggested 2V heads on the street. It sure sounds mean just can’t back it up...

Never had this one to Firebird but I’m sure it’s a 15 second car.

Last edited:
I thought about that. My buddy back in Penn lives and breathes these things and is actually responsible for pushing me in its direction. I can’t take credit for knowing these are on the clearance rack. Yes they have a horrible rep with premature engine failure. Block porosity and some internal devil called an IMS bearing cause these failures and originally made me dismiss his suggestion for a mustang GT convertible alternative. But his logic is sound and hear him out for a second. Okay the car has 2% premature engine failure rate that’s scared or run potential buyers off - true. Now here’s the good part and it is hard to argue against. All the premature failure cars have already failed. I was told to look for a well used well maintained car without low miles. Anything over 70k has walked out of that mine field. The cars you don’t want to consider are what we’d like to find in anything else, a 10k garage queen that’s been pampered and seldom used. That one could be and still is in the early fail danger zone. Think of it as Adult onset teenage pregnancy an easily avoided issue if you’re just a bit careful with your choices... for what I paid I can walk away with no regrets if this thing lets me down. So far it’s like an eager pup that wants to be taken on a walk. Time will tell but I’m all about 95% off sales.
I agree with your logic, but parts cost also drove me off.
I had a seatbelt receptacle on it fail for the internal switch going bad and it cost me over $500 to have it replaced. The car was 5 years old.
The top closed switch also crapped out and that was a very poorly engineered installation and cost some other multiple of $175.00.
I also had been accused of racing the car when I had taken it in for the porosity failure, so for me, I will never own another Porsche, unless it’s a 356.

I agree with your logic, but parts cost also drove me off.
I had a seatbelt receptacle on it fail for the internal switch going bad and it cost me over $500 to have it replaced. The car was 5 years old.
The top closed switch also crapped out and that was a very poorly engineered installation and cost some other multiple of $175.00.
I also had been accused of racing the car when I had taken it in for the porosity failure, so for me, I will never own another Porsche, unless it’s a 356.
You do have a point. The only thing my car needs to be perfect is a new set of sun visors. They are breathtakingly expensive. I figure a good used set is in my future. I also only have one key for it... shoot.

Back