Well, this is bad.

Researching last night led to a post on the Dock by a member here:

Moe, I've written several posts in the past warning people not to try the E-head + C-body HP manifold combo because of #7 plug interference.
frown.png
You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you get headers. TTI and Schumacher have been recommended by others, but someone posted pics of a mockup of the Hedman shorties on E-heads and they looked promising as well.

If you really want to try to make the HP manifolds work, here's my advice:

Don't bother looking for the Accel shorty plugs. They won't help. They're not much shorter than the recommended Champion plugs and won't move the boot far enough away from the manifold downpipe to make a difference.

I am using a hi-temp tight 90* boot and my #7 plug wire loops up from the back of the engine and along the edge of the valve cover/intake manifold to get to the distributor. (That is the factory wire routing for my 66, I don't know if they changed it for 67.) I also use a Moroso woven ceramic boot protector. These have the highest temp rating available. They are Moroso #71990 but I think they may have been discontinued. (The material was actually developed by 3M and is still available from 3M.) Even with these boot protectors, I still have to replace the #7 plug boot at least once a year.

I'm using a Mopar orange box ignition. If I was using a higher-power ignition system like an MSD, it would probably arc through the boot and protector to the manifold within minutes of startup when at idle. That's what happened when my engine was on the dyno, and they tried fibreglass insulation to protect the boot.

Also, for servicing the #7 plug, I cut-down a regular spark plug socket really short so I could slip it onto the spark plug. I ground a new hex into the outside of the socket so I could turn it with an open-end wrench. A standard spark plug socket will hit the manifold, cock sideways and snap the spark plug insulator more ofthen than not when removing or installing the plug. Obviously, you must jack-up the car and climb underneath to service #7 plug.

Good luck,
Mike

The big issue with C-Body headers with a 440 is that there is very little room to replace the header gaskets when they inevitably blow out
Which gaskets are tight? I assume the head to header. You guys know you have to leave the studs in the heads, bolts do not work on a BBM. If you do have to change the gasket you must use the fel-pro steel backed gasket. Cardboard looking side goes toward head and steel side toward header with ultra high heat RTV. Cut out the holes on the lower side so you can slip gasket in with header only 1/2-3/4" off the head. Most important do not tighten the crap out of them!!!!!

I must admit I have changed my fair share of those white crap gaskets that come with or used to come with headers, do not use those, you will be changing those every couple of months.

Ill get a bit of port work done to them but I don't have another grand to throw at the car right now.

This was just supposed to be some winter work, resolving little issues, servicing the trans, etc. I didn't expect a head change.

Well I’ll have to see if anyone around here can replicate this. The heads were ported to get them to flow at 260cfm
Mopar Muscle did an as cast flow test on the 440 Source Stealth heads; at .500 lift they flowed 258.5 cfm, but dropped off with anything more. You might not ever notice the difference depending on your cam lift. I left the article linked below.

Big-Block Cylinder Head Flow Testing – Flow-Charts

Researching last night led to a post on the Dock by a member here:

Moe, I've written several posts in the past warning people not to try the E-head + C-body HP manifold combo because of #7 plug interference.
frown.png
You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you get headers. TTI and Schumacher have been recommended by others, but someone posted pics of a mockup of the Hedman shorties on E-heads and they looked promising as well.

If you really want to try to make the HP manifolds work, here's my advice:

Don't bother looking for the Accel shorty plugs. They won't help. They're not much shorter than the recommended Champion plugs and won't move the boot far enough away from the manifold downpipe to make a difference.

I am using a hi-temp tight 90* boot and my #7 plug wire loops up from the back of the engine and along the edge of the valve cover/intake manifold to get to the distributor. (That is the factory wire routing for my 66, I don't know if they changed it for 67.) I also use a Moroso woven ceramic boot protector. These have the highest temp rating available. They are Moroso #71990 but I think they may have been discontinued. (The material was actually developed by 3M and is still available from 3M.) Even with these boot protectors, I still have to replace the #7 plug boot at least once a year.

I'm using a Mopar orange box ignition. If I was using a higher-power ignition system like an MSD, it would probably arc through the boot and protector to the manifold within minutes of startup when at idle. That's what happened when my engine was on the dyno, and they tried fibreglass insulation to protect the boot.

Also, for servicing the #7 plug, I cut-down a regular spark plug socket really short so I could slip it onto the spark plug. I ground a new hex into the outside of the socket so I could turn it with an open-end wrench. A standard spark plug socket will hit the manifold, cock sideways and snap the spark plug insulator more ofthen than not when removing or installing the plug. Obviously, you must jack-up the car and climb underneath to service #7 plug.

Good luck,
Mike

It was me who wrote that on the Dry Dock. I later replaced the HP manifolds with Schumacher headers. They work well with the E-heads.

Update: Engine has to come out and come apart to have the pistons milled. They are Keith Black 251's specifically for the 451 stroker build. We millws them for the open chamber iron heads, but the new aluminum heads are close chambered, and they hit. We mocked one up today and barred then engine over by hand to check clearance. Yay me.

IMG_7350[1].JPG

So, engine was torn down to remove the pistons for milling. We found this: 7,000 mile old rod bearings. If we hadn't had to tear down because I went to close chambered heads, I shudder to think what evil would have occurred.

Suspecting dirty assembly. Builder didn’t make sure everything was clean and slapped it together.

Suspecting dirty assembly. Builder didn’t make sure everything was clean and slapped it together.

Agreed, machining debris left in the oil passages of the crank could have done this. Would also want to check the block for score marks on the cylinder bores from a failed ring. Camshaft going flat will also throw lots of debris.

Dave

Agreed, machining debris left in the oil passages of the crank could have done this. Would also want to check the block for score marks on the cylinder bores from a failed ring. Camshaft going flat will also throw lots of debris.

Dave

My current builder has inspected everything. It was confined only to rods 2 and 3. Crank not harmed. Cam good, bores good.

My current builder has inspected everything. It was confined only to rods 2 and 3. Crank not harmed. Cam good, bores good.

Probably just had some debris left for machining the crank then. Check the oil filter for metal while you have the engine out.

Dave

Back