Wet? Dry? Freon sightglass? Huh?

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I spotted this very strange tag on the receiver/dryer of an early-60s Imp or Letter car while at Kissimmee earlier this year (I forget any specifics about the car). I have NEVER seen this on any other Mopar or other manufacturer, for that matter.

What does it mean? What sort of moisture is it measuring?

Anyone? @david hill @Davea Lux

IMG_6622.JPG

Ahh....found the info...here's the car.

IMG_6624.JPG

it will measure any amount of moisture in the system. normally those are only seen in commercial or industrial systems. a brand new moisture indicator out of the box will show moisture until the system is evacuated properly. in a hermetic or semi hermetic system where the motor windings are subjected to the refrigerant moisture is an issue. the moisture will mix with the oil in the system and the refrigerant and cause an acid which will eat away at the windings of the motor causing shorted windings. not so much an issue with a belt driven compressor with no internal motor windings. worst case scenario would be the TX valve freezing up and either staying open a little or closed when it should be throttling as necessary. either way moisture in a refrigeration or a/c system is not a good thing. cheers

That is an after market filter-dryer assembly. As noted these were generally used on hermetic/semi hermetic commercial units. First one I have ever seen on a Mopar.

Dave

it will measure any amount of moisture in the system. normally those are only seen in commercial or industrial systems. a brand new moisture indicator out of the box will show moisture until the system is evacuated properly. in a hermetic or semi hermetic system where the motor windings are subjected to the refrigerant moisture is an issue. the moisture will mix with the oil in the system and the refrigerant and cause an acid which will eat away at the windings of the motor causing shorted windings. not so much an issue with a belt driven compressor with no internal motor windings. worst case scenario would be the TX valve freezing up and either staying open a little or closed when it should be throttling as necessary. either way moisture in a refrigeration or a/c system is not a good thing. cheers

I know all about the ills of moisture in the system. What I don't know is what or how does something that looks like a paper tag on the OUTSIDE of the dryer know what's going on INSIDE the dryer.

the outside paper is pretty much a bullshit indicator of the moisture content in the system. it will basically tell you there is some in there.

the outside paper is pretty much a bullshit indicator of the moisture content in the system. it will basically tell you there is some in there.

you match the inside ring colour with the outside bullshit paper colour. there you have it.

Oh! Now I get it....and I fully understand bullshit "indicator stuff". :thumbsup:

Definitely an after market receiver-dryer. If in doubt, to re-charge go by refrigerant capacity + 2 oz of refrigerant oil

Back