WHACKED!!! 1967 Monaco Tierod Assembly

GJS

Reaction score
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
I pulled the remainder of my steering linkage out today and found some serious ugliness in the driver side tierod assembly. This likely ties back to the big dent in the cross member, the one in the oil pan and so many other things I've unearthed. I've already bought the inner and outer tierod ends already which sort of sucks as I know Firm Feel sells the complete assembly.

Just wondering if anyone has just the sleeve portion of the assembly in good condition?

Thanks all. Man, someone hit something pretty damned hard with this thing. Never take your C Body off roadin'.

Do you know the total history of your car? Some of these old dogs got pretty beat up being pushed around the boneyard before someone resurrected them.

Do you know the total history of your car? Some of these old dogs got pretty beat up being pushed around the boneyard before someone resurrected them.
I know mine never saw a junkyard. The most unfortunate circumstances she got into was as a sometimes high school car and then being with the last owner. He did her no favors and I'm pretty sure one of those transgressions was going off the road and not on purpose.

Better check your frame horns going to the bumper as these bend very easy.
Take it from me as I destroyed many a stub frame by just skidding off the road under full brake lock and not hitting anything other than burying the nose into the ground.

My 1977 PK41 wasn't much better, came over a rise in the road under full power, *** end kicked out, corrected, over corrected, spun into the ditch, may have hit some rocks and small trees sideways, powered out (thank you sure grip) preceded on only to have the steering wheel way off center. Off the the body shop to have the frame pulled back. Grrrrr.

Near as I can tell, the hit was on the crossmember. Rather sufficient dent in that. No evidence of anything screwey elsewhere in the frame.
Who knows tho? Gonna try and have it aligned soon. May find out some crap from that.

Well, I'm hoping this one is less of a sad story. Honestly, I'm not seeing any other frame damage and other than the slop in the steering, she really doesn't act too wacky. We'll see though!

Thoughts re: how the TRW sleeve quality compare with that of the Moog equivalent?
I've used TRW parts back in the day (70/80's) with no problems/kickbacks, but of course those were American made quality, just now clicking on that ebay link I see what looks like NOS stock but no made in USA on the box so buyer beware. One old TRW part I found had Made In Brazil on the box and that was maybe the way they went mid 80's on.

Thoughts re: how the TRW sleeve quality compare with that of the Moog equivalent?
I would say that there probably isn't a lot of difference in quality. I would expect TRW to be able to supply a decent part, especially a simple one like this.

If you really looked at one of each (Moog and TRW), it would not surprise me if they came from the same factory and are identical. Only difference being the box.

I've used TRW parts back in the day (70/80's) with no problems/kickbacks, but of course those were American made quality, just now clicking on that ebay link I see what looks like NOS stock but no made in USA on the box so buyer beware. One old TRW part I found had Made In Brazil on the box and that was maybe the way they went mid 80's on.
Of course, you can't say the Moog stuff is USA made anymore either.

Where are Moog parts made? The answer may surprise you! | Suspension.com

You, being, the collective "you" or "you all" are NOT getting the "C" body sleeve --- in MOOG, or ANY Brand
Through Conventional methods Any Longer....

They have been discontinued, and are Obsolete, period.

Every now and then, some pop up on sleeze bay....

I have some N.O.S., but a very limited supply.......

It’s abysmal what clears the bar for use on these cars.... that about covers my feelings on Moog and TRW alike.

My how Synchronicity works some times! I'm looking for the best tie rod sleeves available for my ride too! I find QA1 and Proforged here and there. The former are steel, the latter billet aluminum. Anyone experience either of these brands?

Back