What’s the right name?

Moparwilks

Reaction score
is it front valance, spoiler that resides below your front bumper that you inherit in a mangled state from a previous owner (probably a frozen snow bank) & has anyone had any luck straitening one out?

I've heard valance and also spashshield. I imagine one could be straightened out if it is not too mangled.

I believe the correct term is valance. At least that is what my body shop friends call them.

"Valance" panel is for the loop bumper cars, that attached directly to the sheet metal on each side. Front and rear. IF the vehicle is ever towed with a "sling" wrecker, that panel usually gets "deformed" by the tow slings. Best to use the attachment that raises the wheels rather than the body.

I would think that "splash shield" would be more "under-body" or in front of the radiator, behind the front bumper, at the bottom of the core support.

Being sheet metal that's possibly a little thinner than fenders or hoods, I would suspect that the right technique and coaxing can result in a "straightened" piece, but would depend on the level of the damage.

CBODY67

I'll never forget the time I was working at the only hot rod shop I worked at and I questioned the old timer who referred to this piece as a valance? He said- that's Valance, not Ricky Valens. That always stuck with me for whatever reason. And to attempt to answer your question, it depends on how badly the metal is mangled, and how much filler you feel comfortable using. Hope all goes well.

CBODY67: ""Valance" panel is for the loop bumper cars, that attached directly to the sheet metal on each side. Front and rear. IF the vehicle is ever towed with a "sling" wrecker, that panel usually gets "deformed" by the tow slings. Best to use the attachment that raises the wheels rather than the body."

The Chassis Service Manual for 1973 actually shows how to tow the car from the front (and back) when towed by a towing sling. Shows the placement of the towing hooks/towing sling and the addition of two 4" x 4" x 44" wood spacers under the frame which the tow chains go under so as not to damage the "stone shield". Book also notes padding to prevent scratching, removal of exhaust tips or any other items (except bumper guards) that may interfere with the tow sling.

The Manual calls that front piece a "stone shield", but I have always know it to be a front valence as I think most call it.

I'd forgotten about those wood "spacers", as the lower valence panels were somewhat popular in , earlier 1970s. I remember seeing many Mercury Monterreys with the rear ones missing. Owned by people who lived "off the highway" and the bumpy dirt roads (or pasture driving) pulled them off, after bending them.

Most tow companies are now using tilt-back trucks, so no "sling" action. I suspect the 4x4x44 wood items would need to be supplied by the customer?

Back