What 1973 rotors should I buy??

66l78rat

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did a search and didnt get a specific answer so asking for help.I bought a complete 1973 disc setup from Wyatt for my 69 SF and want to buy new rotors as the orig castings are pretty rusty.Rock auto lists the same # for 69-73, which isnt correct since 73 spindle is different.Can someone who has the 73 setup please tell me what brand and part #s you have used and are satisfied with? I bought a pair of C body calipers about a month ago when they became available from RA and they were B body casting so I had to return them and am a little gun shy on using RA again, seems they have some incorrect info listed, thanks Mark

I bought mine at Autozone 4 years ago. They have them in stock. I couldn't be happier with them. I had epic problems with my conversion and multiple times smoked the rotors and they never warped.

As for RA, EACH vendor has their online catalogs available (via their main website, NOT the RA website) by going to the "Info" icon in the respective RA catalog listing, then when that page comes up, click on the vendor's icon in the upper lh part of that page, which should take you to the vendor's main website, from which you can usually access THEIR online catalog. If you might have some concerns about the correctness of the listings, then look at several vendors to look for agreement, on the vendors' particular websites.

Hope this might help you navigate the RA catalog listings when you might have questions about their accuracy. Going to the "second level" of things rather than taking the "first level" of the RA catalog listings as all that there might be.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Bendix PRT1072 is the one listed for multiple years 69-73. Are the rotors the same for these years and the bearings and seals the only difference??

CBODY67 thanks, I will do some deeper digging a little later when I can

I did a search and didnt get a specific answer so asking for help.I bought a complete 1973 disc setup from Wyatt for my 69 SF and want to buy new rotors as the orig castings are pretty rusty.Rock auto lists the same # for 69-73, which isnt correct since 73 spindle is different.Can someone who has the 73 setup please tell me what brand and part #s you have used and are satisfied with? I bought a pair of C body calipers about a month ago when they became available from RA and they were B body casting so I had to return them and am a little gun shy on using RA again, seems they have some incorrect info listed, thanks Mark

If your rotors have just surface rust and are in spec, I would go with them as they are - especially if they are original MOPAR parts.

they are orig but the cooling ribs are crusty,after having to sandblast I dont think I would be happy with what would be left.I always thought the 73 rotor was different but maybe its just the bearings ?

The '73 rotors do have a larger bearing size and are not compatible with '69 - '72 disc brake set ups. '73 C Bodies used the same disc brake rotors that were used on '73 - ? 1/2 ton pickups and vans and I believe also on B body's. I have some brand new '73 style rotors that I bought a long time ago that are not made in China. Autozone lists their Duralast rotors, #5307 for $125.99 each. I would sell you a pair for $250 + shipping if interested.

FURYGT thanks for the offer, im gonna research more,im guessing shipping those heavy hub assemblies from NC to MI is gonna be a deal breaker

Bendix PRT1072 is the one listed for multiple years 69-73. Are the rotors the same for these years and the bearings and seals the only difference??
1973 spindles, bearings, and rotors are unique to 1973 C-body. (Rotors/Bearings fit light trucks too)

You are right! 1969-1972 rotors will not work with your 1973 spindles

1973 spindles, bearings, and rotors are unique to 1973 C-body. (Rotors/Bearings fit light trucks too)

You are right! 1969-1972 rotors will not work with your 1973 spindles
the old 2 piece 69-72 rotors wont but the new 1 piece rotors now made will??As I stated before,69-73+are now listed as the same part but the bearings used are different for 73 and up

There is a way to de[rust metal without doing the sandblast operation. A battery charger, a fish fryer mechanism pot, water, a water circulator, some common household caustic substance, and about a day in time. Something about electrolysis (or similar) that attracts the rust to a metal rod in the fluid mix, over time? Several YouTube videos on it!

the old 2 piece 69-72 rotors wont but the new 1 piece rotors now made will??As I stated before,69-73+are now listed as the same part but the bearings used are different for 73 and up
I have read that because the 1973 spindles and bearings are different, the 1973 rotors can't be interchanged with 1969-1972.
@mobileparts
Craig, do you want to comment?
Thanks

How do the ID of the bearing housings compare? That would relate to the size and taper of the spindle areas they interface with.

The seals are also different between 69-72 and the 73.
69-72 bearings-seals-rotors must be used on 69-72 spindles, and 73 on 73.
69-72 rotor is a #7012 from some vendors (with an 'R' to signify RH studs) and the 73 is a 7018R.

I've looked for 'a solution' off and on for ~15 years for some bolt-on parts that would give us a proven combination of rotors and calipers for disc conversion - I've never found anything that would work. Bearings and rotor diameter/thickness are always the hangup.

I had some contact with a Timken rep many years ago about getting a bearing with the ID of the 69-72 spindle and a race OD to fit the 73 rotor. There was no existing bearing/race combination that would work for that, it had to do with angle of rollers vs a different race and the reduced amount of contact that would result. (or somethign like that)

Recently, with the dry-up of C-body calipers, I revisited.
B-body calipers are for 1" rotors and won't straddle the 1.25" C-body rotors. 70-72 B&E rotors fit our 69-72 spindles, but are 1" smaller in dia. The later B and R-body rotors are 1" thick, so would fit the early B-caliper (theoretically) but the bearings are different - it uses our 69-72 outer bearing but our 73 inner bearing. AND - I was seeing reduced availability of both those rotors anyway. (our rotors are available but not calipers, B-calipers available but rotors are drying up)

My conclusion - suck it up and buy the factory parts when/where you can find them, and if you plan to drive a lot or keep the car, consider buying some extras.

As mentioned above, Raybestos part number #7018 is your part. - The older (’69 to ’72) rotor will not work, be it the one-piece repro (Raybestos part number #7012), or the original two-piece.

Edit: Rockauto seems to have them for 54 USD. Both Raybestos 7018, and Centric equivalent will do.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input here! Some of the different companies(Bendix Centric) selling these rotors have the same parts listed for the years 69-73.Seems like Raybestos have them listed as different between 69-72 and 73 {7012 vs 7018}.Confusing!!

Back