What about Maaco? Please respond if you have ever used them.

thood1954

Reaction score
Has anyone every used Maaco for body work and/or paint job? I once sent a 49 Chevy there. It really did not need any body work, but they found a place on the trunk lid that they fixed for no extra charge. I did hand sand the body, removed what chrome I could and took off the bumpers and lights. The car was like a pinkish color and I had it painted black. They also did the visor and the skirts. I had already done the wheels and inside the doors. I couldn't find anything wrong with the paint job and everything looked great once I put it back together. I did sell the car 6 months later.(Got a Road Runner) Has anyone ever had good luck with them, and with long lasting results?

Nope but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for so that's where I'd have reservations. I haven't heard what Maaco charges these days but it blows me away that some of these places tout that they can paint your car for less than I paid for the materials to paint my RR.

IMO, 99% of a great paint job is in the prep. I'd give them a perfectly straight body completely stripped to shoot and that's it. Real bodymen don't work at Maaco. Tech school grads go there for their first job

Posted via Topify on Android

Commando is correct. I used Maaco on this truck below. But I sent them a stripped shell to paint with the body work done. I bought the "Premium" package that they had and it turned out alright and I'm happy with it.

HPIM2061.jpg

A 70 polara convertible i know of has a Maaco paint job, one of the nicest i have ever seen.

I had one shot there about 20 years ago. A friend and I did the prep, and they shot the car. It was a '75 Caprice Classic two-door with a 454 (wished I'd kept that beast!!!), painted in the GM red that is similar to Chrysler Firethorn Red. Came out beautifully. I think I had $650 in the paint and prep costs, plus the labor of my friend and I.

I think it all depends on the individual Maaco shop that you choose. The one closest to me is owned by a guy who loves old cars. I heard that the painter that works for them also paints for a local rod shop. I didn't want to spend a lot on a paint job on a 67 Coronet hardtop I have, because the car sits outside in the weather. I had Maaco do minor body work and paint. As others have said, its all about the prep work on the car. I removed all trim and they asked me to have the front and rear glass removed before I brought it in to address a little rust in the channels around the glass. The paint job looked great, and there were no runs in the paint and there was no imperfections in the paint. The only real defects were areas on the body that weren't quite sanded smooth. The car won't win any trophies, but it looks great from a couple feet away, and I'm very happy with the paint job and body work for the price I paid. Incidentally, they had every 1967 Mopar paint color in their system except for the bright blue used on 67 A & B bodies. Although the color was very close to the C-body medium blue which was in their system, I instead chose to provide the updated paint code from another paint manufacturer that a friend had used on a 67 Barracuda. When the paint mixture that resulted didn't quite match the original color when they painted the bottom side of the hood, they called me in to approve the color. It wasn't quite the factory 67 color, but I decided I like the color a whole lot better and to paint the car that color. This car was painted 3 years ago. After I had the car painted, and took it to a couple cruise ins, three others who saw my car, took their cars to the same shop. One guy was not pleased with a couple areas on a Corvette they painted black, and they resprayed the entire car at no extra charge.
31651_101119399935119_301207_n.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of mine had his 73 Polara painted there. When I first saw it I thought it looked great. Then go close and saw dust nibs all throughout the paint in areas. I asked who did the paint and he said Maaco. So it sounds that even if you do great prep work for them how clean will the work area be when they spray. YMMV.

Back