What are the rubber plugs in the floor pans for?

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
I've never exactly been sure why they're there on any car. On my 68, it looks like maybe the larger one up front is for access to a bolt to the stub frame but I can't see any reason for the multitude of smaller ones.

I'm going to have to replace some metal in the floor pan of our 68 convertible and if I replace metal where there was a plug, I wasn't going to bother drilling a hole and putting in a plug unless there's some really compelling reason

Let's the etching acid and then the primer run out after the dips. They dipped the cars about 1/3 of the way up to help prevent corrosion.

And here I thought those plugs were to drain the water out of my convertible after going though the car wash with the top down.

Yep. The plugs are for the pre-treament chemicals and e-coat paint to drain out of body.
Chrysler, and most auto companies only dipped the body up to the belt-line until the mid 80s when full submersion became the standard. In the 90s most all pick-up and suvs got full submersion also.

I've never exactly been sure why they're there on any car. On my 68, it looks like maybe the larger one up front is for access to a bolt to the stub frame but I can't see any reason for the multitude of smaller ones.

I'm going to have to replace some metal in the floor pan of our 68 convertible and if I replace metal where there was a plug, I wasn't going to bother drilling a hole and putting in a plug unless there's some really compelling reason
drain plug

Yep. The plugs are for the pre-treament chemicals and e-coat paint to drain out of body.
Chrysler, and most auto companies only dipped the body up to the belt-line until the mid 80s when full submersion became the standard. In the 90s most all pick-up and suvs got full submersion also.
I love the quote. So very true. Never try to outthink a fool, they are usually a true genius.

I’ve also had to pop those things out of a few A bodies spare tire well after they went through Water Test with windows open!

Back