What brand drums and shoes/linings?

Castle

Reaction score
looking for recommendations for drums and shoes/linings... 1968 Newport base model. Please don’t say NOS, unless you have them for me, or have a source for them, I understand the difference between today’s quality and yesteryears. I really would like to use modern made stuff because of the ease of acquiring them... so please offer those options, thanks!

If your original drums are still under the max. diameter, have them turned.

I too wanted to just go with new for ease of acquisition, but....I recently tried a new set of (chicom) Raybestos drums and they were out of round, new. This is usually not the case with that brand, but I guess they're slipping too.

Then I found a shop that still had a brake lathe and I had the originals cleaned up.

Just getting set to leave the library (to use the computer -- I don't have a computer -- that's why I tell everyone "Always best to simply call me"...)
That "Mn" isn't Minnesota, is it????
I am a diehard, diehard VIKINGS fan forever -- I bleed PURPLE -- just can't stand this 8 -- he cost us 4 games this year....
I need to win 1 before I die -- I am not greedy....

Beyond NOS, if the lining material is black or very dark it is better. The whiter/light colored is not good.
Depending on your proximity to a metro area you can have yours relined is irons are in good shape. Then you can pick and choose from truck lining material.
Just some food for thought.

Raybestos shoes...No problems so far.....
and adjusted on a regular basis.
NOS drums and anti-howl springs....sorry!
boab october 2017 010.JPG

boab october 2017 011.JPG

AND --- the "446" shoe is not even correct -- for the
1960s..... That is the superceded version of the real
335 shoe -- and the to hole is not hole -- it is slotted for the mid-70s & up arm that goes into the shoe...
Such that it is VERY sloppy for the 1960s cars ---
ask anyone who has "tried" to install them.
Why would you FIGHT Quality? Why would you put
the wrong ones on and be happy?
(Most Canadians I have found to be intelligent.)

I don't have an unlimited and replenishing supply of
N.O.S. ++ Asbestos++.....
Those who want their cars to be "SWEET" will grab
my N.O.S. --- and I will be OUT before I can supply
all of them -- that is a sad fact, one day....

Hey Castle --
Can't P M you -- your inbox is full....
Yours, Craig...

Back