What carb for my 440?

TURBOFIRE

Reaction score
Okay, my 440 is original to the car. It has an ABF on it now, but the carb is not original to the car. The car is a '68 and the carb is a '70 I believe. I carb has a miss or dead spot in it. Not sure if this is due to the lack of use or something else. I really do not know much about the carb. Question is, should I figure out exactly what I have and rebuild it or should I purchase an aftermarket carb to replace it with? I like the original appearance of the carb I have, but more interested in it running smooth. Thanks

I know that if you need to do a replacement, that Edelbrock makes what seem to be pretty good replacements for original Carter carbs.

I went with this one on my 440. Starts up immediately. Haven't had it on the road yet due to restoration, but seems to be very responsive when I've had to move the car around. :D

EDL-1806
Carburetor, Thunder AVS, 650 cfm, Square Bore, Electric Choke, 4-Barrel, Air Valve, Single Inlet, Silver

I was just on Summits website and that was the exact carb I was looking at. Must be the one I need. Did you have to order any throttle linkage or other parts?

Take the top off your carb and put an accelerator pump piston/seal in it. If you are careful the original gasket will survive.

If you had the 4160 Holley I would be pushing you toward the new AVS.

I put an Edelbrock 1407 w/electric choke on our 69 440. Runs smooth, powerful and economical.

engine assembled.JPG

If you are replacing, I second the Eddie 1407 from experience. I've heard a lot of good about the Thunder series as well but only have first hand with the Performer variety.

If you want to keep your carb however, rebuild kits are inexpensive and if you are attentive and keep everything clean, a pretty easy job...

For myself, I'll likely shelf the Carter and plop a new unit on so I can be sure I'm rolling this spring.

The 1407 Eddy doesn't come pre-loaded with the electric choke it is a manual choke carb. The 1406 is electric. Even number electric odd number manual...IFIRC

I'm using the 750 cfm 1411 carb on my Newport and the Gremlin (401 motor). Both run well, although the carb as it came from the box was too lean for my 440. I bought the kit with different jets and springs.

I'm using the 750 cfm 1411 carb on my Newport and the Gremlin (401 motor). Both run well, although the carb as it came from the box was too lean for my 440. I bought the kit with different jets and springs.
That kit is a must have. ... n kinda fun to play with.

Back