What carb to fit 57 poly intake?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
Just got my stock 4 barrel intake off a 57 fury. It has 4 equal sized holes. I thought a 1406 Edelbrock would work but they have larger secondary holes. Will this still work?

Anyone have a models # or brand of a carb that will be proper for this manifold? It's going on my stock 66 Fury 318 poly. Fitting easily and the original linkage hooking up is important to me.

Thx!

Just got my stock 4 barrel intake off a 57 fury. It has 4 equal sized holes. I thought a 1406 Edelbrock would work but they have larger secondary holes. Will this still work?

Anyone have a models # or brand of a carb that will be proper for this manifold? It's going on my stock 66 Fury 318 poly. Fitting easily and the original linkage hooking up is important to me.

Thx!

I'm taking back what I told you earlier about grabbing the carb for that manifold. I did not realize the 57 used the small bore.
I thought it had the AFB which an edelbrock will literall fall onto.
Can you still get it???
It will be worth it.
Sorry about that. Hope it's still available.

Now here's something EXTREMELY interesting.
I would do this for the cool factor alone plus it's feasable.
You'll get that dual carburetor look you wanted.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Vintage-2-Barrel-Carb-Adapter,5025.html

1352001_L.jpg

Here's your adapter for a Holley 600:

http://marketplaceadvisor.channelad...il.aspx?sid=1&sfid=78392&c=613655&i=172599026

T37-2064a.jpg

Last edited:
Thx Commando,

I think I'll stick with the adapter plate. The guy wanted $80. for the core carburator that was on it and it being a 57 year means it's likely to be totally worn out(bushings , etc)

Did you see my question on getting blocked off heat riser intake gaskets? Also, I'll be painting the intake the original orange color. Do you know the official name for this?

Thx Commando,

I think I'll stick with the adapter plate. The guy wanted $80. for the core carburator that was on it and it being a 57 year means it's likely to be totally worn out(bushings , etc)

Did you see my question on getting blocked off heat riser intake gaskets? Also, I'll be painting the intake the original orange color. Do you know the official name for this?
On the heat riser gaskets: in your case, stay with stock.
Standard Mopar Orange on the paint. Available as Duplicolor at any auto store

orange_paint.jpg

Off a '57? I would think a Carter WCFB. I'm no expert though.

But would I be able to adapt my linkage to it or will it turn into a monster from hell?

Surely this problem has been seen before. The 4 bore holes in the 57 intake are 1-5/16". Even an adapter plate is a minimum of 1-7/16 or 1-1/2". Thats going to leave a lip sticking out of at least 3/32" and interrupt air flow.

Does anyone know what make carb that has the 1-5/16" bores that will bolt up without major modifications? I believe the original carb was a WCFB Carter 2302S but without having one in my hands I can't tell if I can get the linkages to fit.
Thx!!

But would I be able to adapt my linkage to it or will it turn into a monster from hell?

Surely this problem has been seen before. The 4 bore holes in the 57 intake are 1-5/16". Even an adapter plate is a minimum of 1-7/16 or 1-1/2". Thats going to leave a lip sticking out of at least 3/32" and interrupt air flow.

Does anyone know what make carb that has the 1-5/16" bores that will bolt up without major modifications? I believe the original carb was a WCFB Carter 2302S but without having one in my hands I can't tell if I can get the linkages to fit.
Thx!!

Rusty.
This a quote from the description of the adaptor.
I don't see what the problem is.

This adapter also will be correct for the early Carter WCFB and the smaller AFB carburetors with these port diameters

Stock linkage will work.

Because I called the guy in Kansas to double check the measurements and his is 1-7/16 and mine is 1-5/16 so mine is an 1/8 of an inch smaller than the adaptor. Thats going to leave a circular lip sticking in.

I guess I'm going to have to grind at those holes until they match. I wanted to avoid that.

The neatest way to do it is buy that old carb and rebuild it. Then no adaptor plate. But I wanted to avoid such an OLD carb.

I wonder what other carbs have the smaller holes that would work without the plate? That Holley you suggested? I haven't seen any yet that has an electric choke, I'd prefer not to have a manual choke.

Decisions, decisions. I appreciate your help and patience Commando, Merry Christmas too!

So he was wrong...
Man, I would have been PIZZED if I had ordered it and seen what I got.

"I guess I'm going to have to grind at those holes until they match."
His is bigger, so why the grinding. Or is the center to center not matching.

"I wonder what other carbs have the smaller holes that would work without the plate?"
Ford 4 BBL's from the same era.

"The neatest way to do it is buy that old carb and rebuild it. Then no adaptor plate. But I wanted to avoid such an OLD carb."
That's what C-bodies are all about. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
We are the Marines of Mopars. Everyone else are just Boy Scouts.

Merry Christmas back atcha, Rusty.

Thx COMMANDO,

:happy9:The holes in the INTAKE need to be bored slightly to match the adapter plate holes.. I have a friend who's a machinist and he'll do that for me. That will allow me to use a variety of carbs, and not be tied to just the old ones.

As I said before, someone here must have run into this before.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!:sFl_america2:

I have a friend who's a machinist and he'll do that for me.
Hell, just have him make up a proper one from scratch.
And while he's at it, make a bunch of them and pimp them on the H.A.M.B.
You'll make a few bucks.

OFF TOPIC:
My bro-in-law has a machine shop with many pieces of equiptment that goe for half a mil. 100% CAD-CAM. Makes stuff for the military.
He cant make me a simple adaptor plate because he has no machining equiptment that can be operated manually so even one pc. would require hours of programming,:crybaby2:

57 ply 4bbl

1957 Furys were all equipped with 318 engines and 2X4bbl carbs. All other models 57 318's could be equipped with a "power Pack" option which included a single 4 BBL, different cam and dual exhaust.
The carb was a Carter WCFB. A small 4 BBL. Not much else will fit these intakes without the use of an adapter plate.

1957 Furys were all equipped with 318 engines and 2X4bbl carbs. All other models 57 318's could be equipped with a "power Pack" option which included a single 4 BBL, different cam and dual exhaust.
The carb was a Carter WCFB. A small 4 BBL. Not much else will fit these intakes without the use of an adapter plate.
Thx BlueFury.

I'm going with the adapter plate and not going to reem the intake holes. Have a 1406 Edelbrock to put on her. I figure the 4 barrel intake adds $500 or more to the value of the car.(but that isn't why I'm doing it;)

When 2 four barrel carbs were used.

According to my old Motors manual specs for Plymouth, the 2-4barrel set up was used first in 1958 on the 318 and the 350 engines and then used in 1960 with the 361 and 383 engines.

In 1961 only the 383 RAM had one. 1963 the 413 had one too.

1963 is as far as the manual goes. I do have another Motors manual in case anyone wants more spec info in later cars.:cya:

Back