What did you do to your C-body today....

Today I tried in vain to adjust the convertible top again this afternoon.
I studied the FSM & video I had found earlier for the 66 Mopar convertible top.

I started with setting the stack height then fitted the frame as instructed. Perfect!
4+ hours spent aligning everything up and now both cylinders are leaking from going up & down so much just :mad: wonderful...
After all side & front alignments are done as best as possible I lower the top and the darned frame won't sit in the boot again.
The back is good but the front is sticking up about 4" too high
When I reset it so the frame sits correctly the top won't come even slightly close to fitting to the windows & front windshield
2nd day of attempting. About to turn this car into a permanent open air convertible...I owe my neighbor a whole case of beer now, not just one or two:lol:

I'm starting to think the previous convertible top installation expert really :mad: it up, finally gave up, jammed it into the rear well & lived with the ill fitted top when they had no choice but to put it up much like myself
Shame on me for trying to make this a perfect fitted top...

Other than this I had a great weekend:lol:

One day I'll look back on this and think "What a pain in the *** this was trying to fix someone else's f-up":rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'll get this figured out one way or another.

Just found this online on MyMopar.com ... hope it helps.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/224.pdf

Last edited:
IMG_0404.JPG
finished front end on 70 gt
IMG_0529.JPG

Last edited:
Today I started fitting the heat insulation padding to the floorpan of my Windsor. The stuff is like bubble-wrap with aluminum foil on the outsides.

PHOTO_20190513_082629.jpg

I bought it from a swap meet vendor named Smokey. This was the paper inside the package. The www.ezcool.ca website looks like his own business site. I think he's a local distributor in Ontario, though he probably will ship anywhere. This appears to be the same stuff:

https://www.amazon.ca/Low-EZ-Cool-Insulation-Foil-Tape/dp/B00PX2C8DC

PHOTO_20190513_082544.jpg

Cuts easily with a utility knife or scissors. Don't use good scissors. You're cutting aluminum foil and fiberglass mat, which can't be good for them.

PHOTO_20190513_082522.jpg

Here's what I got done in a few hours yesterday. It conforms to the floor pretty well just by pressing it into place. I only had to make cuts to fit it in a few places.

People on Youtube videos I watched attached it to the floorboards with spray adhesive. Smokey said to use polyurethane construction adhesive, but apply it sparingly. There are a couple of deeper channels in the floorpan that it wouldn't have confirmed to easily. I cut some strips and glued them into the channels to fill them before laying down the sheet. Seal up seams with aluminum foil tape, the "real" duct tape that is used on furnace ducts.

Today I tried in vain to adjust the convertible top again this afternoon.
I studied the FSM & video I had found earlier for the 66 Mopar convertible top.

I started with setting the stack height then fitted the frame as instructed. Perfect!
4+ hours spent aligning everything up and now both cylinders are leaking from going up & down so much just :mad: wonderful...
After all side & front alignments are done as best as possible I lower the top and the darned frame won't sit in the boot again.
The back is good but the front is sticking up about 4" too high
When I reset it so the frame sits correctly the top won't come even slightly close to fitting to the windows & front windshield
2nd day of attempting. About to turn this car into a permanent open air convertible...I owe my neighbor a whole case of beer now, not just one or two:lol:

I'm starting to think the previous convertible top installation expert really :mad: it up, finally gave up, jammed it into the rear well & lived with the ill fitted top when they had no choice but to put it up much like myself
Shame on me for trying to make this a perfect fitted top...

Other than this I had a great weekend:lol:

One day I'll look back on this and think "What a pain in the *** this was trying to fix someone else's f-up":rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'll get this figured out one way or another.

Just found this online on MyMopar.com ... hope it helps.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/224.pdf

I knew taking a break and approaching this from a mathematical way that I could get this sorted out ( plus some good ole' dumb luck)

My buddy Terry & I rest the frame into the rear well then backed off all adjustments and worked from the rear to the front.
Once fitted so the frame worked I tested the way it sat in the rear well and it was good.

The top itself is now a bit messed up but it needs replacement anyways next year.
That will be next winters' project. new top & replace the hydraulic cylinders.

My wheel cylinders for the 67 Polara, (which I don't have yet), arrived from rock auto yesterday. Waiting for the brake hoses and spring shackles.

I moved it forward, so as not to block my garage. Cleaning has begun, a Dart has been discovered beneath the boxes and parts! Gonna dig deeper to discover my find! Planning on bringing more parts over to the storage unit so I can get an engine and transmission stuffed in it, and swap interiors over to a GT bucket/console setup.

IMG_20190512_191740.jpg

IMG_20190513_134253.jpg

Waiting for a granddaughter to putter out so I can clean up some more.

I moved it forward, so as not to block my garage. Cleaning has begun, a Dart has been discovered beneath the boxes and parts! Gonna dig deeper to discover my find! Planning on bringing more parts over to the storage unit so I can get an engine and transmission stuffed in it, and swap interiors over to a GT bucket/console setup.

View attachment 285828

View attachment 285830

Waiting for a granddaughter to putter out so I can clean up some more.

Reminded me of Monty Python:poke:

I hate to admit I did nothing. Seems like it’s been f-ing raining around here for the last two weeks. Everything is water logged. It may actually stop tomorrow. Then if it stays dry long enough, I’ll mow the lawn. Maybe I can get some wheel time in the Newport afterwards.

Right before I closed up the garage, I hung up another LED shop light, what a difference! Now I can see my parts in the shelves.

IMG_20190513_202916.jpg

Slowly getting ahead of the garage, amazing how things get away from you.

Back