What do I have?

ALLAN

Reaction score
I feel I have not what I thought, I need to replace the rad in our 1970 Polara318. The new rad has the hose positions on opposite sides, as I had trouble getting the correct size belts I' m wondering if the engine is from something else? With the original rad everything lined up perfectly, has Aircon if that makes any difference. Thoughts please.

IMG_20190802_101011.jpg

IMG_20190802_103315.jpg

You have bought the wrong radiator. Where did you get it?

Yep, bottom radiator is for a 1970 C-Body with 318. MyMopar.com - Radiator Specifications

I'd say that the top radiator is incorrect for the application.

I'll bet the top radiator is a CU332 Spectra which is for a big block (383 or 440) car. More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM CU332

I looked at the Spectra catalog online and they list the CU332 for a 318 car and that would explain the problem. They also list that rad for the big block cars.

So... You have a couple choices. First and probably best is to have your existing radiator rebuilt. Since you are in the UK, I don't know what's available there. Second is you find a good used rad. That's getting harder and harder to do. Third is you talk to someone like @Ccas about an aluminum radiator. I don't care for the appearance of aluminum radiators personally, but the guys that have bought them seem to be happy. You can always paint it black if it matters to you.

only label on the box is PRO 332 Chrysler. It was supplied by a good UK supplier I've contacted them and am waiting a reply, they're getting ready for the Mopar Nationals this weekend,
So the old rad (lower) is correct for a 318 C body with air con?
unfortunately, like so many trades, there are very few rad centres around these days, not cost effective :/

Yes your old radiator is correct.

The top rad appears to be for a B or RB engine with A/C... doesn't appear to be the Spectra model as they have different shaped tanks than the OEM rads. Looks more like a re core to me.

Either way, top one is for a big block A/C car. Bottom is for a small block and correct for your application.

I’ll bet PRO332 is a reboxed CU332 or at least they are sharing part numbers.

Your radiator is correct for 1970. The replacement unit is for a '66-'72 big block... In 1970 the small block hose connections changed location although Spectra lists the interchange to be 1966- 1970. '66-'69 small block connections both on driver side. The '66-69 Fury, Polara, and New Yorker/New Port were the same units depending on width 22" vs 26". "72-'74 was the next grouping for interchange except in '73/'74 there was a bung in the top tank for sending unit.
Don A (aka US Radiator)

Last edited:
Supplier is struggling to find a replacement, offered a 22" or a refund ☺️. Managed to find an agricultural workshop that will re-core the original, but he's on holiday for a week

Supplier is struggling to find a replacement, offered a 22" or a refund ☺️. Managed to find an agricultural workshop that will re-core the original, but he's on holiday for a week
I'm in Grimsby Ontario Canada and own a 70 Polara convertible with 318 but no AC. Would like to see pics of your car. Small world.

Back