What do you think I should offer for this 68 Newport 2-door?

AA2B87D8-DD01-45E5-9011-8DD82B68E037.jpeg
Only Plymouth offered 2 versions of a hardtop in ‘67 & ‘68. A fast top which it shared with Chrysler and Dodge and a formal roof, which was a standard hard top.

Hmmm, a "one legger" - that's a phrase I haven't heard yet. But my guess is it means it a non-sure-grip rearend or an automatic trans. Am I right?
I’ve always loved all the street terms for various engineered features. It’s single legger or peg leg around these parts. Somebody should start a thread on this. My all time favorite is bolt action for column shift.

Posi vs sure grip the struggle continues Lol!!!

70813015-1949-4615-BE80-25B01EE98FE1.jpeg

You might just sit on this one a while and see how the price shakes out. Not to seem like a vulture but prices around here in SoCal have tanked big time.

I’ve always loved all the street terms for various engineered features. It’s single legger or peg leg around these parts. Somebody should start a thread on this. My all time favorite is bolt action for column shift.

Posi vs sure grip the struggle continues Lol!!!

View attachment 371035

You might just sit on this one a while and see how the price shakes out. Not to seem like a vulture but prices around here in SoCal have tanked big time.
Add ‘East - West’, ‘North-South’ for powerplant orientations...

I haven't heard that one before. :thumbsup:

hahah, that donut burger looks like something Homer would make/eat, that is, when he's not making his Moon Waffles: mmmmmm....fatening

And hey, at least I didn't call it a Traction Lok

But yeah, back on the topic, I'll probably call him up and make a low offer. If I can get it cheap it'd be worth it to me to have, just because I tend to be an accumulator :thumbsup:. I'm pretty certain he won't get any takers at the $ he's asking. Not when I see there's 68's for sale online in good shape for only a few thou more (and those don't seem to be selling either)

Thanks all for your input and helping with my edjukashun

The car may be worth more in parts if bought right..
The pedals assembly especialy for manual brakes is quite rare.All the Z bar linkage is worth money too.
A 73 440 may have 346 or 452 heads. 440 engine cores are worth some money too.
A lot of trim parts are 68 Newport only.
If any of the sheetmetal is reusable it can be sold.
hope this helps.

:thumbsup:

I've thought about the value of the parts as a way of justifying the purchase, but I'm not a parting out kind of guy. Though I could see using some of the parts myself. I was already looking for a set of front bucket seats. I like the idea of having an extra 440 on hand too. And like I said, the body and underbody are actually not that bad so it'd make an ok project car.

I just wish I would've rowed through the gears on the tranny to make sure it was a 4-speed instead of the factory 3-speed :BangHead:

I just wish I would've rowed through the gears on the tranny to make sure it was a 4-speed instead of the factory 3-speed
Wouldn't make any difference to me unless you're looking at the 4 spd as something valuable to sell.

Okay, so I wound up buying this car. He came down quite a bit from his asking price and was cool about it (he didn't get all grouchy when I offered considerably less than he was asking). The body is not terrible -- it's got some rust in the usual places and had been repaired/repainted at some point in the past. The doors are in good shape, bumpers are straight. The clutch pedal sticks, doesn't want to return all the way up, and I can't seem to put it into any gear (it's in neutral right now). The shifter is a Hurst and it looks like a box was mounted onto the trans tunnel for the shifter to mount to.

Here are some pics. I can take more today if you'd want to see others parts of it...

upload_2020-5-31_8-22-29.png

upload_2020-5-31_8-23-29.png

upload_2020-5-31_8-24-38.png

Only by looking at the shift pattern stamped on the shift lever which shows 1 thru 4 :rolleyes:. I couldn't rake it through the gears as there seems to be something up with the linkage, or maybe it's because the clutch isn't disengaging?

If you can tell me how to determine visually which trans it is I'll check it out today.

Pad on right side of transmission with numbers..
3 speed starts with PP 745. ...
4 speed starts with PP 833
Hope this helps

Back