What does a base 66 Chrysler look like? Part 1

Verse

Reaction score
I own a 66 Newport with 4 options. It was interesting to me to see what you did get, but also what is not included in the standard basic car. I thought I would post this information for your interest.
Here is my car. I am the second owner. It was in a barn for 25 years near Gaza Iowa.

IMG_1251.JPG

So what did you get standard?
Backup lights

IMG_0524.jpg

Driver's side manual mirror

IMG_0536.jpg

There are no....

Bumper reveal moldings
IMG_0525.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg

or fender mounted turn signals

IMG_0535.jpg

and no full wheel covers; you got hubcaps instead on body colored wheels. The tires would be blackwall. This car was ordered with wheel covers, but they were ugly. These wheels are now 15".

IMG_0526.jpg

I love the look of that car. No vinyl top & the body color steel wheels with dog dish caps is a really cool look. Great color too.

Yours is an enviably perfect one! I get plenty compliments for the beat up junker I drive, because it looks almost straight, but seeing yours reminds me of how mine looked 50 yrs ago, though not much more recently THAN then.

I own a 66 Newport with 4 options. It was interesting to me to see what you did get, but also what is not included in the standard basic car. I thought I would post this information for your interest.
Here is my car. I am the second owner. It was in a barn for 25 years near Gaza Iowa.

View attachment 403597
So what did you get standard?
Backup lights

View attachment 403596

Driver's side manual mirror

View attachment 403598

There are no....

Bumper reveal moldings
View attachment 403599 View attachment 403600

or fender mounted turn signals

View attachment 403601

and no full wheel covers; you got hubcaps instead on body colored wheels. The tires would be blackwall. This car was ordered with wheel covers, but they were ugly. These wheels are now 15".

View attachment 403602
I've always liked this car since I first saw it. Talk about basic transportation, this is it.

In my Book, 1966 marks the ZENITH of american automotive quality. American automotive companies produced SIMPLE, RUGGED, POWERFUL machines, easily repaired and maintained, yet sophisticated enough to provide safe, comfortable, AFFORDABLE transportation to the toiling masses who produced SO MUCH WEALTH in those long gone halcyon days of the Great Society, LBJ's attempt at keeping the New Deal alive, thus forestalling proletarian revolution. AND THE 1966 CHRYSLER NEWPORT HELPED MAKE THE PROLETARIAT HAPPY IN THEIR HARNESS!

Modern computo-mobiles, complete with chinese processors, just keep the proles miserable and confused by contrast....

Fortunately one of those options was undercoating - money well spent. Body color wheels with caps is a nice look, the whitewalls definitely improves it. VERY nice hardtop.

Back