What goes here? 1973 Imperial Lebaron. Tux.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, 1973 Imperial. I have this empty socket/plug under my dash, above the fuse panel. The grey with six slots.
Would anyone know what goes here?
Also while I am asking. What would cause my horn relay to buzz every time the door is opened? It is not in the photo because of the constant loud warning buzz, I removed it while working on the car.
I looked in the service manual, but can't seem to locate it.

FDB395E0-7E5A-468E-8FA9-B80080FFAACA.jpeg

1D0EB2BC-5A2F-4CDE-8452-0FD2FD2EFB3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Remove the key before you open the door....
And make sure the lights are OFF.....
There should be no more buzz'n... :thumbsup:

Remove the key before you open the door....
And make sure the lights are OFF.....
There should be no more buzz'n... :thumbsup:

That's what it sounds like, but not the cause. Keys in pocket and lights off.

Is this car fitted with the seatbelt interlock warning buzzer?
Yes, it goes off as soon as i lift the belt. But with keys out and everything off, as soon as I open the door it buzzes,. I often unplug it while doing maintenance or cleaning. If I forget to reinstal the car has no horn.

Yes, it goes off as soon as i lift the belt. But with keys out and everything off, as soon as I open the door it buzzes,. I often unplug it while doing maintenance or cleaning. If I forget to reinstal the car has no horn.
The standard "fix" was to figure out which prong of the horn relay was for the buzzer and bend it at a right angle (or clip it off) so the relay still plugged in and worked, but no buzzer. I think 99% of the cars on the road had this "fix".

Back to the primary question. What goes in the empty 6 prong plug just hanging above fuse panel?

@Boydsdodge I have the same issue with the door buzzer like you. It buzzes as soon as I open the door, no matter whether the key is in or out. Really annoying. Did you find a solution to that issue yet? I crawled under the dash today and found the exact same socket hanging disconnected like yours... Since it's coming out of the thick harness off the dash, might that be the light wiring for the trailer? Since our cars don't have the towing option it's not connected to anything. That's my best guess..

PXL_20231025_100451797~2.jpg

PXL_20231025_103100764.MP.jpg

PXL_20231025_103122179.jpg

weird .. Might be a bad wire/ground inside the steering column so the mechanism doesn´t get the signal that the key has been removed?

@Boydsdodge I have the same issue with the door buzzer like you. It buzzes as soon as I open the door, no matter whether the key is in or out. Really annoying. Did you find a solution to that issue yet? I crawled under the dash today and found the exact same socket hanging disconnected like yours... Since it's coming out of the thick harness off the dash, might that be the light wiring for the trailer? Since our cars don't have the towing option it's not connected to anything. That's my best guess..

View attachment 624367

View attachment 624368

View attachment 624369
I haven't tried yet, but when repairing a clients steering column I could see how easy it is for the key inserted arm to stick in the key in position. The car thinks key is inserted and alerts. I will try some Deep Creep and see if that helps.

IMG_4200.jpeg

Very interesting picture. Is it enough to remove the steering wheel to get to that mechanism or is more extensive disassembling involved to it? I'm used to work on my low budget Pontiac Tempest and the upside of very few options is the simple design for everything. That's not the case for the high end Imperial obviously

Very interesting picture. Is it enough to remove the steering wheel to get to that mechanism or is more extensive disassembling involved to it? I'm used to work on my low budget Pontiac Tempest and the upside of very few options is the simple design for everything. That's not the case for the high end Imperial obviously
This is a 73 B-body column. I haven't opened an Imperial column. Yet. The small white switch with two red wires is the buzzer switch, if I am remembering correctly.

Last edited:
Back