What Happened To DeSoto

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
https://www.carsforsale.com/pop-culture/what-happened-to-desoto/

des1.jpg

The sentence with the reply to the question in the title is:

"Despite 33 years of production, DeSoto fell victim to a mix of marketing mistakes, economic downturns and a competitive market."

How many defunct automotive brands fit that description? Did we learn anything new? (Just asking.)

When Chrysler added the low price Newport to the product line in 61, and Dodge the 880 series in 62, the gap DeSoto left in Chrysler's product mix was completely filled.

When Chrysler added the low price Newport to the product line in 61, and Dodge the 880 series in 62, the gap DeSoto left in Chrysler's product mix was completely filled.
Yes, the "price gap" was filled by the Newport and 880, but many marketing people seem to fail to understand that EACH car brand has its own customer demographic that are loyal customers. So when their desired brand is gone, where do they go? IF they'd wanted a Chrysler or Dodge, they would have already had one, usually. Just as if Oldmobile customers had wanted a Buick or Cadillac or Pontiac, they would not have been owning Oldsmobiles.

On the other hand, seems like the earlier 1960s were economically recessive, so I guess that "adventurous spirit of Hernando" was not as active as in the middle 1950s? Back then, Chrysler's brand portfolio mirrord what GM had. Plymouth/Chevy, Dodge/Pontiac, DeSoto/Oldsmobile, Chrysler/Buick, Imperial/Cadillac. FWIW

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
I haven't watched this video so I don't know if it's good or not but it just showed up on my You Tube suggestions. Looks like some nice cars anyway.

well that list is short , lol . in fact i have 3 291's 1 276 and 1 330 destoto hemis , and a few chrysler hemis and a donovan . as well these are as follows , 54 331 twin fours , 301 poly with m/t aolly rods with 55 hemi heads n a 671 twin pot hilborn atop and my donovan wet block with a 4.25 stroker crank . and theres another 54 331 ind with an algon injects and m/t alloy rods

DSC01696.JPG

DSC03448.JPG

DSC01664.JPG

331 block.JPG

331 head intake ports.JPG

DSC04063.JPG

DSC04065.JPG

Desoto's, beautiful automobiles especially the 1957 58? Custom royal.

Edit: whoops, custom royal was a Dodge.

Regardless of manufacturer, looks similar to the Desoto Firesweep.

Last edited:
Back