What happens to your cars when your gone!

SGT FURY

Reaction score
I unfortunately had one best friends suddenly pass away in sisscor lift accident while building his dream shop on property. He was in his mid 50s and was a extremely talented metal worker.
We were working on making repop 61 ply dog legs and Xram inner fender cutouts.
His widow called me to help liquidate his parts,cars,and scrap metal. He was into tri 5 chevys.
I will miss him.
In another recent event, a old closed wrecking owner passed away from a stroke and left 500+ cars behind. Many 50s 60s cars. He never really wanted to sell anything,but now they are likely to be crushed!!!!

A car freind of mine called me recently to tell me that his landlord had passed away and left a massive amount of 1950s peterbuilt trucks behind that he was collecting. Most likely to be scraped.!!!
A grandfather I know had left his fully restored 71GTO 455 4speed ram air car to his grandson and his only interest is to find out what he sell for to fund hydroponics for his pot farm.

I cleanup property for real estate agents and estates as a side hobby.
What I'm seeing a lot of is a severe lack of interest in is what to do with old project cars and parts collections. There seems to be a rush to discard everything that was held dear by the deceased.
All these recent events has me asking myself what happens to my collection of cars and parts when I'm gone? My 15 year old son has no real interest in my cars and my wife will most likely have everything **** canned!!
I'm having conversations with car friends and family as what I want done just in case.
Take out a will so there is no confusion as what to do. Sorry for the grim thread.

The real question here is have you had this conversation with your friends and family and are they interested in your old car hobby projects?

To non car people a project car looks like junk. No matter how rare or solid and rust free it is, to them it looks like junk-so they scrap it.

I'm a typical car guy, larger building, some cars outside. Our Family friends ask about a once a year, “did you sell any cars?” “are you out of the car hobby now?”

Funny part is my wife likes the cars and going to the drags, driving them and going on road trips. So it’s not coming from her.

Last edited:
My family, Sans my son, have zero interest in my tools, cars, parts etc. He will get my tools and whatever else he desires. Julie doesn't want to deal with the stuff and I don't blame her. Therefore I am going to formulate a plan to liquidate this stuff, cars included. The cars and parts will go to MoPar "young guns" that I know have an interest in each car specifically and the hobby in general. I'll try to make the process as painless as possible......

I have no kids..and a nephew that has zero interest in old cars.
More than likely will it to my girlfriend and if it is too much for her she can sell them here or auction.

On another grim note relating to this topic.
A lot of good C's got parted out to save our rides.
Sign your donor cards!!!
Save someone else so that they can live on!!
Poor analogy but works! LOL!

I unfortunately had one best friends suddenly pass away in sisscor lift accident while building his dream shop on property. He was in his mid 50s and was a extremely talented metal worker.
We were working on making repop 61 ply dog legs and Xram inner fender cutouts.
His widow called me to help liquidate his parts,cars,and scrap metal. He was into tri 5 chevys.
I will miss him.
In another recent event, a old closed wrecking owner passed away from a stroke and left 500+ cars behind. Many 50s 60s cars. He never really wanted to sell anything,but now they are likely to be crushed!!!!

A car freind of mine called me recently to tell me that his landlord had passed away and left a massive amount of 1950s peterbuilt trucks behind that he was collecting. Most likely to be scraped.!!!
A grandfather I know had left his fully restored 71GTO 455 4speed ram air car to his grandson and his only interest is to find out what he sell for to fund hydroponics for his pot farm.

I cleanup property for real estate agents and estates as a side hobby.
What I'm seeing a lot of is a severe lack of interest in is what to do with old project cars and parts collections. There seems to be a rush to discard everything that was held dear by the deceased.
All these recent events has me asking myself what happens to my collection of cars and parts when I'm gone? My 15 year old son has no real interest in my cars and my wife will most likely have everything **** canned!!
I'm having conversations with car friends and family as what I want done just in case.
Take out a will so there is no confusion as what to do. Sorry for the grim thread.

The real question here is have you had this conversation with your friends and family and are they interested in your old car hobby projects?

You're a downer!

I've had many conversations with my wife, though necessity/pragmatism, and have compiled a list of names and contact info including my login to FCBO, so my wife can get a fair price out of my "junk" when I kick it.

My wife has never had an interest in any of my cars, let alone wanted to drive them. Also, I don't want any of my boys "saddled" with a car that I liked, but they do not have the space to store.

I have left the names and numbers of some of the local guys from the site in case of an unfortunate series of events takes me out. That way, like @shooter65 anyone here can have first dibs, then, they can follow up with other options or just selling it for a small cash amount to the Volo Auto Museum for them to re-sell in Norway at twice the value.

There are quite of few elderly local Mopar guys I know in the area and a few I would seriously buy, but more often than not, they stop driving, drop out of going to meets and you only find out they have passed a year or two later and the cars are gone.

Is there a really polite way to say, hey, I really like your "XXXX" . Give me a call if you want to sell it? I guess the key is for the person taking care of the estate to know that as well. Also, old car guys never want to sell, they want to peek in the garage and see it, even if they never drive it for years...but that is a whole other topic....

Any older person should put together a living Trust to help the ones who live on after them. It is the only responsible thing to do.

I actually think about this monthly...I have to figure out how to sell them when I'm gone and everything goes to the humane society. I'm not kidding.

already kinda stated above for me by saforwardlook

Top Three Benefits of a Living Trust

living trust/will if i dont make it to 80, my children get their pick of up to four (my first car i bought in 1975 my dad's 68 eldo, couple others'), executor liquidates the rest in staggered but hopefully orderly cash transactions (including to a couple dozen folks over the years who check in every few years to give me their addresses for when the "call" comes for things they may still want), all cash proceeds then in trust for five years, or age 45 for my oldest child (of 2 daughters), whichever comes later.

at age 80 if sound of mind/body (and IC engines are still legal/economical as a hobby), i get rid of everything left (i am slowly liquidating even now) at that time and over a few years, turn it into cash/securities like the other plan, then that stays as part of my estate whenever my number is called.

Last edited:
My family, Sans my son, have zero interest in my tools, cars, parts etc. He will get my tools and whatever else he desires. Julie doesn't want to deal with the stuff and I don't blame her. Therefore I am going to formulate a plan to liquidate this stuff, cars included. The cars and parts will go to MoPar "young guns" that I know have an interest in each car specifically and the hobby in general. I'll try to make the process as painless as possible......

I want to be seat belted in one of my C-Bodies and have Elon Musk shoot me into space. Never happen but an interesting pipe dream.

Dave

I have a good friend who is a retired NASCAR cup driver and a serious car guy. There was a little old lady up in Dover Delaware who was a big fan of his and came to the races there. He would always take some time to talk with her at the track and they became friends.
This past summer he was contacted by a estate attorney and told the lady had passed away and wanted him to have her 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. She bought it new, rarely drove it, It never spent a night outside and never even saw rain. White, white leather and black top. He flew up to Dover and drove it home.
Now it's a great car with a great story.

Doc
For that to happen you may want to do a non revocable trust. Anything in a will, or a revocable trust can and will be taken by a nursing home or Medicaid if you or your wife need assistance with long term care... God Forbid.
John

Interesting topic and something I should think about more because of how I got started with cars.

I inherited and was passed down and built a large collection but I wasn't even into cars in the beginning.

Going to auto school really gave me the car bug. It was my adoptive parents idea for me to try auto classes. When they first suggested trying automotive classes, I must have looked at them as if they were out of their freaking minds. I did try it out and was the only one of my kind there. I got involved with VICA club (vocational and industrial clubs of America) and it all changed my life. Cars began making me feel like I have a purpose in life because before I tried auto classes, i actually wanted to quit school because everything was boring and empty.

Now I'm early 30s, no spouse or kids, so if I kicked it tomorrow who knows what would happen.
I would definitely want it all to go to younger people starting out.

My dad passed unexpectedly at age 63 4 years ago. My brother and I were always equal if not greater parts of the hobby so the first generational hand off went fine. My brother and I have been selling off a couple cars and lots of parts that we just aren't going to use. Throwing away lots of junk too. Working away at it while Mom still wants to live on the property with the shop. When she passes decisions get more complicated

There’s the verse in James Taylor’s Traffic Jam, that goes “Now I’ve thought about it all too often, when I die I don’t want no coffin, just strap me in behind the wheel and bury me in my automobile”.

Back