What is a used auto pilot set up worth?

halifaxhops

Retired USAF MSGT (SW) yes navy also.
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
DSC01229.JPG
Just curious new to this site and am definitely not familiar with a unit I picked up out of a 63 Imperial I believe, it is a early cruise control called auto pilot made for mopar by perfect Circle, took everything, the linkages, unit, cables and the switch assy for the cable, cleaned up really nice Want to sell the whole assy since I have no need for it and wonder what to ask on e bay for it realistically.
Thanks all!

Last edited:
I will get some later today just have the one came from a bb car, I was looking for parts for my dart and found it, never saw one before so you know I had to grab it all.

I have it in my '59 Imperial and they don't even mention it in service manual until 1961? Most ot this era are problematic (they don't want to shut off) so mine is for show only. I read somewhere someone can repair them but realistly how many times are you on an open road to use it.

Here are pics you need the special spedo also, saw someone mention it?
DSC01238.JPG
DSC01239.JPG
DSC01240.JPG
DSC01241.JPG
DSC01243.JPG
DSC01245.JPG
DSC01246.JPG

Pete summed it up pretty well. A couple of my cars have the unit, but like Pete says, I rarely find a need for cruise in general since I live in crowded California. I would start the bidding at $100 and see where it goes (but with brighter photos). You might want to list it for sale on the Forward Look site just in case, where there would be more focused interest.

Home of The Forward Look

Also, Jeff Carter repairs those units quite well and is a good guy:

www.jcauto.com

In addition to Jeff, I repair and service the dash dials that have plastic parts in them, (ad in the WPC magazine), and I have a decent enough understanding of the guts of the servo to generally get them working and serviceable. I do not claim to be a guru, but I'm pretty good with them.

I hope you took the brackets which mount the unit to the inner fender, as they're specific to model year and don't always interchange.

I use my AutoPilot all the time. I love it!! I also service it regularly, because:

Yes they were problematic. I spoke at length many years ago to a man who designed the original system for Perfect Circle (likey dead now, was in his 80s back then).

The system had its' own separate service manual from1958 through 1960. Often lost or not accompanying regular manuals, the system was often not understood by service personnel. Apparently, because the system was rushed into production, they were not aware of the need for periodic servicing and adjustment of the points set inside the unit, which would unfortunately stick together if not dressed like ignition points. This is where the runaway acceleration issue and or non-on issue cropped up. Very easy to deal with in retrospect, but no one knew about it until thee'd been problems in the field. By the time they figured that out, legal issues resulting from accidents where cars which were accelerating uncontrollably were in court and the brass at Mopar (and GM who also used the system) were figuring out how to reduce their liablity. That and the most UNFORTUNATE choice of naming the system AutoPilot - (think dum-*** drivers who would figure they didn't have to steer the car) had them on their toes redesigning the system.

Hence, after 1961 it became one of the first remove and replace items rather than service and repair, and the quickly changed to the more safe vacuum controlled units of 67 and up.

Perfect Circle sold the system to Rostra shortly after that, and it faded into obscurity.

Wow thanks for all the info way more than I could find anywhere You all are great!

In addition to Jeff, I repair and service the dash dials that have plastic parts in them, (ad in the WPC magazine), and I have a decent enough understanding of the guts of the servo to generally get them working and serviceable. I do not claim to be a guru, but I'm pretty good with them.

I hope you took the brackets which mount the unit to the inner fender, as they're specific to model year and don't always interchange.

I use my AutoPilot all the time. I love it!! I also service it regularly, because:

Yes they were problematic. I spoke at length many years ago to a man who designed the original system for Perfect Circle (likey dead now, was in his 80s back then).

The system had its' own separate service manual from1958 through 1960. Often lost or not accompanying regular manuals, the system was often not understood by service personnel. Apparently, because the system was rushed into production, they were not aware of the need for periodic servicing and adjustment of the points set inside the unit, which would unfortunately stick together if not dressed like ignition points. This is where the runaway acceleration issue and or non-on issue cropped up. Very easy to deal with in retrospect, but no one knew about it until thee'd been problems in the field. By the time they figured that out, legal issues resulting from accidents where cars which were accelerating uncontrollably were in court and the brass at Mopar (and GM who also used the system) were figuring out how to reduce their liablity. That and the most UNFORTUNATE choice of naming the system AutoPilot - (think dum-*** drivers who would figure they didn't have to steer the car) had them on their toes redesigning the system.

Hence, after 1961 it became one of the first remove and replace items rather than service and repair, and the quickly changed to the more safe vacuum controlled units of 67 and up.

Perfect Circle sold the system to Rostra shortly after that, and it faded into obscurity.

Sorry if you posted your repair services somewhere on here before....but what do you repair and do you have a link to that ad or do you have a website I can click on?

No worries - I likely did not mention it in a dedicated thread...

No website, no pics. I offer two basic services - rebuiling broken dash dial switches (specifically those from 65 - 68 that use plastic gears, and on the old Perfect Circle mechanical servos I offer a Point Set rebuild and reset service.

With the dash dials, all I do is take the dash dial switches that are not working, disassemble them, replace the broken plastic gears, and free them up/lubricate the assemble and send them back. I've been doing it for 15 years now, offer a warrantee, and never have I had one come back. There's likely people here on the site that have used my service who don't know it's me... I avertise in the WPC Newsletter.

The servo switches have a set of points inside, about the size of pill batteries. There are four contacts - a double sided centre set and two outer sets. Because of the current that flows through them (like ignition points) they develop pits and deposits, and sooner or later will stick together. I service them, adjust their gap, and if they're really pitted, since they're not replaceable, I clean them up, fill them with silver solder and have a local jewellry guy plate them with Rhodium. As long as the rest of the unit is functional, and they usually are, as the basic design is pretty bullet proof, I reinstall the point sets and you're good to go.

Nope - I'm way too busy with my music career to go into business that way... plus there's a couple of people already that do that, plus you need access to spring brass and hair-wire spring steel... I have done my own by cannibalizing others to make one good one, but that's as far as it goes. Same with dash switches like 'vert top, power antenna and rear defogger switches etc. They're pretty basic once you open them up.

This is what I do:

www.rosswooldridge.com

Back