What matches with interior Dull Silver? 65 Ply SF center console

James Romano

Reaction score
Hi. I recently was given the black striped center console plate for a 65 Fury/Polara. I had it replated and polished where it needed it. Looks great compared to what I was given.

Now... painting it. What rattle can color closely matches the Dull Gray Silver that covers the majority of the piece? The original wood panel plate I have has a very satin, semi-metallic look to the paint.

I hate to buy a ton of cans only to find the match is not even close to what I was looking at.

Thanks!

IMG_20210616_105800806.jpg

Mopar used Argent Silver on a lot of the trim pieces from about 1960 to the mid '70's. It is still available in genuine Mopar, but pricey at some place around $25 per spray can.

Dave

Import magnesium is really close to the original finish.

61CB045B-2479-4075-B7F5-DB1E70FD63A3.jpeg

Thanks Fellas... I'll look for those. I like the quality of the Mopar paints... they go on smooth and harden nicely.

I'm OK with the price only because I know I can't find this piece for less than what it's costing me to restore it.

How about the black? I heard using gloss black nail polish will give it a real good look. I can't spray it because it will overspray on the inner walls of each slot...taping that would be a nightmare.

I'm thinking the nail polish would work well. Any thoughts?

Just out of curiosity . . . I have a couple of these plates lying around, and I've always wondered how these were painted, in the first place. I believe that the factory (vendor) used some sort of a "mask", but I've never seen any description of how this was done. Can anybody shed some light on the original process . . .

Also Duplicolor HWP101 Silver wheel paint is very close and you can find internet examples of it being used in place of argent. I have used this on a few parts. Its expensive on amazon so try in person stores.

Just out of curiosity . . . I have a couple of these plates lying around, and I've always wondered how these were painted, in the first place. I believe that the factory (vendor) used some sort of a "mask", but I've never seen any description of how this was done. Can anybody shed some light on the original process . . .
Do you have any other chrome for a 65 Sport Fury?

448DAE7E-2A1F-42EC-B84E-2CEEBF9051A6.jpeg

FWIW:
Here is my original plate in my Monaco.
Both the silver and the black were either a satin or flat finish originally.
How they painted it originally? I haven’t a clue.
Looks like it’d be a pain to mask.
I might try a very thin frisket type masking film then trim it with an exacto blade. Lightly spray an etching primer and top coat.

Go to a hobby shop and buy the thin masking tape for model cars and planes, several widths to match what you need and no trimming. Tamyia is a good brand.
2AC66AD1-6EEB-4184-AC41-84B65C89BB05.jpeg

Sorry James, no SF specific trim. I have a Dodge . . .
To clarify - when I used the term "mask" in regards to the OM vendor, I didn't mean to imply that there was some guy with a big roll of masking tape! You're right - at this point I think we're stuck with the mask tape/spray can option. I have done some pretty complex pieces this way, and it takes forever to mask, for 30 seconds of spray. But, I have had excellent results.
When the factory (vendor) did it, I believe they used a large "mask" with the appropriate cut outs. Sometimes more than one, as on the piece in question. What I DON'T know is exactly how this was done. I speculate that it might have been a "mask" of thick rubber maybe, lined up correctly over the piece, quick spray with a light coat of quick drying paint, lift off and move to the next piece.
For our purposes, mask off only the horizontal surfaces. Don't worry about the short vertical ones. If you look at original pieces closely, you'll see overspray there (but you never see it, in practice). The paint doesn't matter much, I've used different ones, cheap seems to work okay. But use spray for the correct look. I agree with flat, not gloss. Secret is to just dust it. Human nature is more is better - that's not true here. If it pools or runs, go back and start over - it'll look terrible (AMHIK) . . .

Last edited:
Let the masking....begin.

2 hours later, only 4 of the "louvers" are taped. Obviously this will be a long process. Then I have to somehow rough out the chrome for paint.

One step at a time.

I wouldn't even rough it, just make sure that it's clean! I know the original ones are just plain smooth chrome, if you take the paint off. If you feel that you must roughen it, try a light dusting w/ a micro-etcher (sometimes called an "air-eraser") and 50-micron aluminum oxide.

Back