What orange for roof numbers on '70 police car?

policefury1

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey would anyone know what the orange paint is that was used on the roofs of the 1969 and 1970 ny state police cars? That is for the large numbers. Maybe what paint code? Thanks for any help.
Martin Kane

I don't know the answer about the color, but I'm curious about the numbers.

I don't remember the Trooper cars having the numbers on the roofs. I googled it and saw some with numbers, and some without.

Which cars had the numbers? Thruway cars?

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the book 'new york state troopers on patrol 1917-2017' and there is a 1969 Fury with the orange numbers and part of a '70. Im guessing highway patrol had them so they could be spotted from the air. The numbers I would guess also are the same as the car or tag (?). What do you think? Wonder if there are any old state mechanics that set these cars up around.
mk

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the book 'new york state troopers on patrol 1917-2017' and there is a 1969 Fury with the orange numbers and part of a '70. Im guessing highway patrol had them so they could be spotted from the air. The numbers I would guess also are the same as the car or tag (?). What do you think? Wonder if there are any old state mechanics that set these cars up around.
mk
This is what I found.

This is a modern pic, based on PA vintage plates.

1647107254781.png

A newer car that appears not to have numbers. Looks too nice to be in service, so I'll bet it's also a modern pic.

1647108519532.png

Another newer one, with the blue and gold paint, no numbers, but also modern pic.

1647108632781.png

Hard to tell, but these are at Attica prison in 1971. Side story, I knew a guy that was a fresh NYS Trooper and his first big assignment was the Attica riot. Probably one of these is his car. Can't get in touch with him since he moved south though... He would know too AND he's a Mopar guy.

1647109300459.png

More newer cars with no roof numbers, but these are also modern pics. Looks like both these pics were taken at the New York State Fair.

1647109571958.png

Another modern pic

1647109689100.png

From this NYS web site : Specialty Units

Only one NYS Trooper aircraft in 1967, so how many in 1969-70? I'll bet less than a handful. Doesn't seem to me that they would paint numbers on every Trooper car for one aircraft.

"History​

The New York State Police Aviation Unit was formed in 1931 and consisted of only one fixed wing aircraft. It was discontinued a few years later. In 1967 the unit was reformed, and again consisted of only one single-engine aircraft, a Cessna 172. That airplane is still in service today. In 1998, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation’s flight department was merged into the State Police Aviation Unit. Today, the unit has over 40 pilots and 21 aircraft. The diversity of the unit’s missions requires it to fly both helicopters and fixed wing airplanes. The unit currently flies the following helicopters: Sikorsky S76D, Bell 407, Bell 430, and Bell UH-1 Huey. Additionally, the unit flies the following airplanes: Beechcraft King Air 250, Cessna 206, Cessna 172, and Partnavia P68. "

Thanks for that cool photo of the cars outside attica. It would be great to find that guy. I have so many other questions involving my restoration.
Im going to try to include a photo of a 1969 (Woodstock actually) number roof that is in the book I mentioned...

ny orange numbres1.jpeg

It does seem odd that some cars had the numbers and some didnt???

The main reason Im asking this question is that my roof is primmered and I'd like to paint it this spring. (of course it just snowed and will be in the single digits with the wind chill tonight-in March yet).

I found a couple other Woodstock Trooper pics. Won't tell you much other than the pics are cool.

1647110569753.png

1647110620311.png

dang @ayilar .. which I could help @policefury1 but my experience with "orange numbers" on the roof is exactly "zero". there have some good inputs here already that could be helpful to him.

I will see if I can re-conntect with a retired New York State motor pool guy from Albany I last corresponded with a decade ago.

Its a long shot though ... he was in his late seventies when we last talked (but he had worked on all NY statie/all fleet cars from the early 1960's till about 2000 when he retired).

dang @ayilar .. which I could help @policefury1 but my experience with "orange numbers" on the roof is exactly "zero". there have some good inputs here already that could be helpful to him.

I will see if I can re-conntect with a retired New York State motor pool guy from Albany I last corresponded with a decade ago.

Its a long shot though ... he was in his late seventies when we last talked (but he had worked on all NY statie/all fleet cars from the early 1960's till about 2000 when he retired).
Thanks--all the help is great. Hope a mechanic from the era can come thru.

First, did your car originally have a roof number?
Second, did all cars that year have roof numbers?

With the CHP not all cars had roof numbers, maybe now but not in 1969

Alan

First, did your car originally have a roof number?
Second, did all cars that year have roof numbers?

With the CHP not all cars had roof numbers, maybe now but not in 1969

Alan
Hi, When I had my roof soda blasted, me and the company watched really carefully to see if there was any evidence of numbers. But the roof (which originally was black ( ny state police color)- had been sanded down to bare metal and a very cheap primer and very cheap white painted on. Like they did to cars when sold off. So I really dont know if mine had numbers. If we can find an original trooper or mechanic from then we might know how many or whom would have had numbers.

Back