What performance gains should i expect 383

Bryon Mason

Reaction score
My 1966 383 is currently being rebuilt. So far the only mods I've made are
Original 516 heads - hardened seats, bowl blend, new springs
Cam- 462/470 lift, 262/270 duration
Stock dual plane intake, stock 4bbl carter carb.
I plan to run dual exhaust at some point as well.
Factor stock specs say 325HP ,425 torque

With the added lift and a little bit more duration than the stock cam, you probably will get a BIT more power in the low-mid rpm range, until the stock items (carb of about 550cfm, stock intake, stock exhaust) start to affect things. With the dual exhaust, it should do better above 3000rpm, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

My 1966 383 is currently being rebuilt. So far the only mods I've made are
Original 516 heads - hardened seats, bowl blend, new springs
Cam- 462/470 lift, 262/270 duration
Stock dual plane intake, stock 4bbl carter carb.
I plan to run dual exhaust at some point as well.
Factor stock specs say 325HP ,425 torque

You gotta good setup there. I wouldn't change a thing. With that cam and heads, you'll have great throttle response, and the rear end ratio is perfect. Don't waste money on another intake and carb.

If the current carb is the OEM 66 carb, then any new carb will require a new air cleaner, due to the mounting circle diameter being smaller on the current carb than it will be on a "Holley" circle carb.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You might want to take a look at the Lunati Voodoo 256 cam...I put one in my 68 HP 383 and absolutely love it. Tons of low end torque. Biggest way I can tell from the original stock 383 cam is the way the car can be shifted from 1st to 3rd without any complaint/bogging/pinging. The difference is remarkable. Plus you get a nice smooth idle and about 17-18 inches of vacuum at idle.

Don't waste money on another intake and carb.
I do disagree! If anything upgrade to the E-brock 2186 intake, you'll get tons of low speed throttle response, don't worry about carb unless needed. AMHIK Good Luck
You might want to take a look at the Lunati Voodoo 256 cam...I put one in my 68 HP 383 and absolutely love it.

I guess you didn't read where he said he already has the cam?

Last edited:
Back