What should be my tire pressure?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have changed my tires to 235 60R15. What should the tire pressure be set at, for a normal load and speed situation?

32 psi. It should say on the tire somewhere is the small print.

Obviously, you are going to get a different opinion in every post to this subject. You will get a different opinion from every tire shop you ask too. A good guideline to use is --- Don't go below what the vehicle maker recommends, or above what the tire maker recommends, then work it out by what you and the car likes best.

Not by whats on the tag on the jamb!! I checked my tires today on the 71 and could hardly read the numbers.
Dave: It doesn't get any better LOL. Time for reading glasses buddy! My .02 and preference to to stick with the tire manufactuer recommendation.

At the Proving Ground....we always, always tested with the tire manufacturer PSI recommendation. Peak tire performance and tire wear results were always best with the manufacturer's specs regardless of which test item they were tested on. Same tire size from different manufacturer's had different PSI recommendations.

Keep in mind that back then the recommended pressures were often ridiculously low by todays standards. We owned a '74 Maverick when I was a kid and I remember they recommended 24 psi all around. I always run 32 nowadays in my Cutlass.

Thanks for the info. I thought the door psi was too low for todays tires.

The door PSI was for optimal soft ride. Higher PSI provided crisper response in handling. Unfortunately, the suspensions back then only made higher pressure more squirrelly. You tried to find the best compromise and in general it was 28. I liked 32. 24 was pathetically too low for my tastes even on a wallowing luxury barge.
Lower PSI was also recommended to produce more understeer because the mfgrs. thought John Q. Public couldn't handle more oversteer. And in general, couldn't.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
I don't care what "they" say. You run them at 32 psi. Period!

Good, my truck tires say 80 max, 32 psi would leave them flat. I always look at the specific tire on each vehicle.

Yeah Fred, I know. Not even a year ago I was fine. All of a sudden it went bad, I gotta hold everything three feet away from my nose.

Good, my truck tires say 80 max, 32 psi would leave them flat. I always look at the specific tire on each vehicle.
You know darn well I'm talking pre-90 passenger vehicles. Did you just finish your pinochole game to come in and break my cajones?

Shrug it off. Sarcasm FAIL on my part.
Full moon is distorting brain waves this weekend

The door PSI was for optimal soft ride. Higher PSI provided crisper response in handling. Unfortunately, the suspensions back then only made higher pressure more squirrelly. You tried to find the best compromise and in general it was 28. I liked 32. 24 was pathetically too low for my tastes even on a wallowing luxury barge.
Lower PSI was also recommended to produce more understeer because the mfgrs. thought John Q. Public couldn't handle more oversteer. And in general, couldn't.

IIRC, there were some optional tires for Imperials from the late '50s, that were giant balloons, and the recommended pressure for them was 15psi. All in the name of getting a cushy ride.

Read this last night. Excellent read. ESPECIALLY about tire pressures.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog...clueless-why-does-my-caddy-ride-like-a-truck/

tiredecal3.jpg

Back