What size dust caps (hub inner diameter?) for YOUR 1966 Chrysler?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Some of you might find a little amusement in my quandary here. I recently made a smug post that I had just bought some Dorman 13976 dust caps for my 66 Newport, and figured that was "simple enough," though at least I didn't type such an arrogant remark.

Wellll, ANOTHER of my old dust caps popped off the hub, passenger side THIS time, so I went for my shiny new bit of chineseum, only to find that it was WOEFULLY UNDERSIZE!! Yet, when searching from Jegs to Rock Auto to VatoZone and many points between, ALL assert that the 1 9/16" cap outer diameter is correct for Mathilda. I scrambled to my favorite junk yard and scored a couple old ~ 1 3/4" or maybe 1 25/32" caps, used a single layer of aluminum foil to wrap around that, pounded it in w my rubber mallet, just as I had on the driver side and for now all is swell.

My PROBLEM arises from the cognitive dissonance arising from what is widely asserted on the numerous web vendors sites, that my hubs should be covered by 1 9/16" caps. I can just buy 1 25/32 or even 1 13/16" caps new henceforth if my improvised antique caps, doubtless made of better steel, should come off for any reason. But this makes me wonder WHY such a huge discrepancy exists.

My hubs accepted the canonical inner and outer bearings, the races went in with just the requisite bit of tapping on my brass drift, after I had to remove the old ones the same way.

If my hubs and spindles are fine, then WHY the weird delta in dust cap measurements? Your thoughts my Esteemed Elder Moparians will be much appreciated.

There are basically 3 dust caps for 60-'s and 70's Chrysler products. The smallest one is for 9" brake A Body's 1960-76. This has been reproduced and is being sold with incorrect applications by Dorman. The most common one by application is 1613416 which fits most cars and trucks from mid 55 to 1973. Interference fit Diameter is between Approx. 1.788"-1.790". In 1973 a larger dust cap was introduced which fits pretty much everything from 73 to 1989.

There are basically 3 dust caps for 60-'s and 70's Chrysler products. The smallest one is for 9" brake A Body's 1960-76. This has been reproduced and is being sold with incorrect applications by Dorman. The most common one by application is 1613416 which fits most cars and trucks from mid 55 to 1973. Interference fit Diameter is between Approx. 1.788"-1.790". In 1973 a larger dust cap was introduced which fits pretty much everything from 73 to 1989.

OK. I found some 1 25/32" (1.78125") Dormans which I'm going to try. That larger cap you refer to is 1 13/16", which might be a hair too big for my hubs. I might squawk at Rock Auto about their putting the wrong size caps up for my '66. I hope to get enough response here to get some meaningful data on what is THE correct size for mid 60s, slab side C-body front hubs.

Back