What The Hell Is Craigslist Comin' To?

SportFury70

Reaction score
Seriously, what the hell is Craigslist coming to? I post on craigslist more than anywhere else. So today I posted a couple snow tires on Craigslist, got done posting my last post 45 minutes ago. I put real buyers only and cash in hand, and to text or call me. I got 3 scam text messages already. :wtf::elmer:

Seriously, what the hell is Craigslist coming to? I post on craigslist more than anywhere else. So today I posted a couple snow tires on Craigslist, got done posting my last post 45 minutes ago. I put real buyers only and cash in hand, and to text or call me. I got 3 scam text messages already. :wtf::elmer:

I do not use craigsshitlist for that reason, too many scammers and other crooks trying to peddle stolen stuff.

Dave

I used to use it ALOT....and now I cant post a single thing in any category without getting scam after scam after scam....I dont use it anymore.

You really have to wade through the scammers. There are still potential buyers out there looking.
unfortunately it appears facebook marketplace has taken over for craigslist. And market place sucks. I can't patrol the entire united states.

I've sold many things lately on cl. Just pass by the scammers. they are quite obvious. Just wish their home address's were as obvious.

I don't use craigslist anymore, started using FB market place early this year with success as a seller and as a buyer. The lack of search range does suck! I've found I can move locations, but still limits to 100 miles for searching.

I haven't sold on CL in a while, but ever since I got the first Nigerian Prince Who Can't Cash A Check scam, I just delete the text after reading and laughing or shaking my head. As @cuda hunter said, they are pretty obvious. And it's always been that the person who actually calls me, buys the item. I guess it's been happening for so long (over a decade for me) that I'm used to it and it doesn't phase me. I hate marketplace.

I actually enjoy the scammers. I will usually work them up to the point they "send me the PayPal" (the fake email made to look like they've paid me) then I just say "Thanks for the free money" and they get all sorts of mad.

The CL scammers are pretty obvious. I delete anything with a "Gmail" address. It's still been pretty effective though, both selling and buying.
I wish I could access "marketplace" without signing up on facebook. Just not going to do that. But that being said.... If any one who uses marketplace finds a right front wheel opening molding for my 67 Polara 500, there's a reward.....:)

Just happened to my dad last night. Has also happened to me in the past. One way to help eliminate this issue is to have the "reply by email" option enabled and do not included your phone number in the listing. In the CL ad, require all interested parties to leave their name and a phone number. Whoever doesn't do this is often a scam. Most scammers wont talk over the phone. This helps rule out 90% of spammers.

Just happened to my dad last night. Has also happened to me in the past. One way to help eliminate this issue is to have the "reply by email" option enabled and do not included your phone number in the listing. In the CL ad, require all interested parties to leave their name and a phone number. Whoever doesn't do this is often a scam. Most scammers wont talk over the phone. This helps rule out 90% of spammers.
I only use my phone as the emails I was receiving were ALL spam, so the phone works fine for me to filter it all out. It sucks there's all the BS out there.

I delete anything with a "Gmail" address.
I'd lose out on anything I'd want to buy from you, as I use Gmail.

I only use my phone as the emails I was receiving were ALL spam, so the phone works fine for me to filter it all out. It sucks there's all the BS out there.

I wish there was a way to not allow them to text you.

I use CL and post my phone number. Within Moments of posting an ad, I get spam texts asking me to enter a 6 digit code to confirm that I'm the seller. I researched this and it turns out that people use these code responses to make your number their number for international calling. Then they run up a huge bill on your number while calling all over the world. I usually text, "I'm glad to have your interest, please call me to discuss looking at the part." After they continue text begging me to enter the 6 digit code, I usually block their phone number from calls and messaging. That gets me past the scammers. Once all the 6-digit code scam is done, I get actually interested buyers. CL still works for me, although I list on FB too.

For CL, I never respond to gmail, nor do I use it. In fact, I insist "no texts", as well. I get a text, I ignore it. I get a gmail, that's ignored, too. For my phone#, it's ONE2three f o r 5SIX SE7EN 8. That way, I get the fewest problems. Plus, there is a sheriff substation a few miles away. If a buyer doesn't want to meet in their parking lot, oh well!

I live in western New York where neither Craigs nor marketplace nor let go or any of those other online things work. Not enough people. I envy those who could list anything and find a buyer within a few hundred miles. That said, my experience with all of them is weak. I don’t even get spammers. I get the odd serious person 2 or 4 hours away! So, for me, never worked anyway. But based on phone spam I get, I would answer them all and waste their time, then shut them down.

Craigslist HAS been inundated by criminals to be sure. As the net finally becomes available to the Lowest Common Denominator, the quality of all free services plummets to the bottom ooze in the cesspool. Farcebook still SUCKS bigtime though, and actually opens folks up to more criminals than simple engines like Craigslist. I never have bought further from my home than 20 minutes driving save for one old, reputable fellow in Phoenix who won't deal unless you call him.

These so-called "smart phones" which are compact computers anyway, finally offer enough data handling ability to idiot-savant criminal sorts to make them a bit more dangerous than formerly. As the social cancer of IOT (Internet Of Things) metastasizes, human peccadilloes likewise shall exponentiate until saturation and/or catastrophe. As a pessimist, I don't look for any blessed catastrophes.

Again, one of the MAIN reasons I LOVE my 1966 Newport is that it doesn't need so much as a single transistor to run reliably. I LIKE computers as tools, but not as crutches.

I use CL and post my phone number. Within Moments of posting an ad, I get spam texts asking me to enter a 6 digit code to confirm that I'm the seller. I researched this and it turns out that people use these code responses to make your number their number for international calling. Then they run up a huge bill on your number while calling all over the world. I usually text, "I'm glad to have your interest, please call me to discuss looking at the part." After they continue text begging me to enter the 6 digit code, I usually block their phone number from calls and messaging. That gets me past the scammers. Once all the 6-digit code scam is done, I get actually interested buyers. CL still works for me, although I list on FB too.

I got a Google text saying "your confirmation number is" then the number as well as the BS text messages

I live in Colorado. There is never anything close to me.
I have to send monies to strangers across the nation to get anything shipped up here in the mountains.
I've been ripped off a few times but over all I've had pretty good luck sending hard earned money to strangers and getting the parts i'm supposed to. Usually a good talking on the phone makes for a good transaction.
I use a msn email so as to even get looked at due to the "gmail" problem.

I live in western New York where neither Craigs nor marketplace nor let go or any of those other online things work. Not enough people. I envy those who could list anything and find a buyer within a few hundred miles. That said, my experience with all of them is weak. I don’t even get spammers. I get the odd serious person 2 or 4 hours away! So, for me, never worked anyway. But based on phone spam I get, I would answer them all and waste their time, then shut them down.

Someone wondered why I didn't post my 63 Olds Starfire on CL - all of the above is why.

4.JPG

Back