What to do?

The Mopar Performance 440/383 restoration cam is a good choice. Adding a 400 spread bore intake, and Thermoquad, with duals will really wake up that 383 and still be very mildly manured.

Later on maybe add a pair of H.P. manifolds.
Bingo. Little head work doesn't hurt either.

Well, if he's changing the cam...........all that is left is the head bolts. Put a set of 915 closed chamber heads on her and gain a full point in compression.
Hey Bob,

Tell me more about this. Rebuilding a 383 is my very next project.

If you can find them, 915s are the factory iron head of choice but they were a 1 year only offering in '67. There is also another casting # that's closed chamber but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head, also '67 only. 915s found in the Coronet R/T and the GTX were stamped HP and had bigger exhaust valves.

516 (361-383 c.i.) is the other #. (it's a poop head) There are two 915 heads, one with 1.60'' and the other with 1.74'' exhaust valves. Although I have never seen a 915 head ''stamped HP'' I agree 100% with Matt. either way both heads are great, and the larger valves can be installed where the smaller ones reside.

The compression increase you should expect is closer to .8 than 1.0, provided you remove the difference in thickness of the aftermarket head gasket v/s the factory steel shim style, from the head itself.

Hey Bob,

Tell me more about this. Rebuilding a 383 is my very next project.

I don't know what year your 383 is..but.

'68-69 383's have a positive deck height. 915's being closed chamber leave no clearance for the piston.

If it still has the original engine, it should already have closed chamber heads and decent compression.

My 2 cents would be to put hardened seats in and you could bump the exhaust valves to 1.74"s... aluminum intake, 3.23s and a moderate cam....

I still think it looks nice white also...

I have 2 sets of 915s one set has the HP stamp with the bigger valves. I'd take a pic but both sets are at Koffels place for rebuild. That's right, 516, that's what the Imp has on it...for now.

I have 2 sets of 915s one set has the HP stamp with the bigger valves. I'd take a pic but both sets are at Koffels place for rebuild. That's right, 516, that's what the Imp has on it...for now.

Matt, are the 516's the original heads on your Imp?

Ross, as everyone suggested there is a ton of things you can do.

Matt, are the 516's the original heads on your Imp?
They appeared to be. When I swapped out those valve covers last year I had to use my shop vac to suck up all the valve seals...which I think we're original.

just got a call , aguy thats pretty local bought a 70 sport fury and the frame is rotted ,he wants my fury to put the 383 in. hoping he takes her and gives her a chance.

Nice! That's great news.

Back