What viscosity and brand engine oil and filter do you prefer to use in your C-Body?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what viscosity and brand of engine oil and filter do you prefer to run in your C-Body? I use conventional 10W-30 Castrol year round. I don't drive during the winter if there is salt on the roads. I use a premium filter Purolater Pure One. The premium filter media (microns) is worth the extra money.

I always use NAPA Gold oil filters on every car I own.

I use Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40 in the convertible's 383 since that is what the engine builder recommended. Everything else gets Mobile1 synthetic, with the 71 using 10w40.

I've been a Castrol guy for quite some time myself and will probably stick with it in the Imperial. I went 236,000 miles with it in my last work truck/daily driver and never had an engine related problem. Even ran fine when I sold it.
Fram for oil filters.

Very informative site, guess the Fram may not have been my best choice but how can you repetedly use the same product for 236,000 miles without negative consequences? I'll tell you... I changed the oil and filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles without fail! Take care of your equipment and it will show you a good long life in return.

Very informative site, guess the Fram may not have been my best choice but how can you repetedly use the same product for 236,000 miles without negative consequences? I'll tell you... I changed the oil and filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles without fail! Take care of your equipment and it will show you a good long life in return.

Ditto. I've never used any other filters but Fram on every car I've owned, all the while being diligent about maintaining regular oil/filter changes. I've never had any problems whatsoever. Quite surprising to read that, but I will probably stay with the tried and true nonetheless.

Currently have Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in the car. While the Fords get Motorcraft the Dodge gets Purolator for a filter. I stopped Fram more than 20 years ago.

Currently have Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in the car. While the Fords get Motorcraft the Dodge gets Purolator for a filter. I stopped Fram more than 20 years ago.

Just curious, why did you stop using Fram?

Over the years, I've seen Fram oil filters on top fuel dragsters explode or launch 1000 feet in the air 3 times. I know that is apples and oranges and passenger cars don't have 8000 horsepower.

Ok, your freaking me out now. I've got a parts cabinet full of Fram this or that...so now that I've got bad mojo upon me, better go out and change that filter.

Don't freak out, I still use Fram Filters. That Appolo Fram Filter launch was on a 8000 horsepower nitro fuel top fuel dragster. We are lucky if anyone exceeds 400 HP on this site.

We are lucky if anyone exceeds 400 HP on this site.

I did.... Well at least I think I have, never actually had her on a dyno. But when you mash the loud pedal and the Sure grip decides to work she sure acts like it. :eek:ld_school:

Last edited:
I did.... Well at least I think I have, never actually had her on a dyno. But when you mash the load pedal and the Sure grip decides to work she sure acts like it. :eek:ld_school:

Mike, what oil and filter do you have in her? BTW, that hood ornament in your avatar sure looks great!

I did.... Well at least I think I have, never actually had her on a dyno. But when you mash the load pedal and the Sure grip decides to work she sure acts like it. :eek:ld_school:

Damn wish I could say that. With what I got in my 383 so far I'm probably, just barely kissing 300-305hp. I've been reading up on those Hedman "Shorty" hedders, might deep six the OE exhaust logs for those.

My NY'er was 195hp stock. I might have 220hp now with the exhaust, intake and carb. It sounds pretty tough but that's about it.

Any specific reason for the 10W40 grade instead of 5W30 or 10W30? I guess maybe because of the 400hp maybe reason enough.

Damn wish I could say that. With what I got in my 383 so far I'm probably, just barely kissing 300-305hp. I've been reading up on those Hedman "Shorty" hedders, might deep six the OE exhaust logs for those.

35k. '67 440 I think it was rated in the 350 horse power range. single exhaust, points ign. It ran awesome. Then after the long tube headers duals, having the heads shaved , MP cam pn# p4452783, TQ carb on a late model spreadbore manifold, and electronic ign.
It was like she was just standing still before.

Any specific reason for the 10W40 grade instead of 5W30 or 10W30? I guess maybe because of the 400hp maybe reason enough.

Not real sure why 10w40 Bob. I guess maybe growing up in the late '70's and '80's helping my dad maintain the family ''grocery getter'' and work car, then always hearing...

''son 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer, she'll run FOREVER'' lol...

Last edited:
35k. '67 440 I think it was rated in the 350 horse power range. single exhaust, points ign. It ran awesome. Then after the long tube headers duals, having the heads shaved , MP cam pn# p4452783, TQ carb on a late model spreadbore manifold, and electronic ign.
It was like she was just standing still before.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a 440 in my 70' Imperial LeBaron, it had pretty good bottom end--getting all that weight moving, but would run out of steam around 50-60 mph. I rebuilt it with a whole bunch of mopar performance goodies, a hot cam, edelbrock torker 440 aluminum intake, and holley 750 double pumper carb. I fitted her with 3" dual exhaust system and the car into a beast.

Back