what works here?

7polara0

Reaction score
ok so i have a 1970 polara vert. with power drum brakes all around. if i were to want to change the fronts to disc what do i need to get? also what years do i look for? i seem to recall there being something about the disc setup for the early 70's as being more expensive and harder to get parts for. something to do with the calipers i think, any truth to this as well? running stock 15x7 rims.

i believe there was a single piston and a dual piston caliper the single being harder to find. and you will need a different proportioning valve for disc brakes

Everyone tries to find the 73 disc set up.The rotors are cheaper.But any year 69-72 will work rotor cost more.How often are you going to buy rotors? One time

And if you need the factory correct 1969 - 1972 Disc Brake ROTORS, ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Pads, the Mater Cylinder, and more -- I have all of these BRAND NEW!!!!!!!

And unlike you say at the show the rotors are the two piece rotors.

go to scarebird.com they have a specific set of brackets for c bodys. 165 for the brackets and the bearing shim, and then it gives you a list to buy from auto zone or such. 70-72 Ford Galaxie rotors, and 94-99 Dodge Ram 1500 calipers on the stock spindles

Hey , I'm getting ready to do this on my '69 Fury . I have spindles w/ brakes from a '76 NYer . Will this work if I use the '69 upper control arm & lower ball joint ?

CudaJames69;15999 said:
Why won't they work ? What's different ?
This was discussed on another C-body forum and the consensuswas they were too incompatible.
Here's a pic. Compare it to yours and you decide.

21j7guc.jpg

Last edited:
You need to use parts from a '69 -'73 as the ball joint is part of the swing arm (#18) on the older cars and starting in '74 they mounted the ball joint (#25) in the lower control arm.

21j7guc.jpg

OK , Thanks . Thanks for the info . I need a reason behind it to accept it .

I had thought if you used the lower ball joint from the early ones it would work .

I was kind of wondering why it wasn't common practice since they are plentiful in comparison to the early ones .

How about b/e body spindles ? I know the rotors are smaller but will they work ?

Will the '76 caliper brackets work on the earlier spindles ? Then you could use the rotors , DR Diff sells adapters to use the later rotors on the early spindles .

If not I guess it's off to scarebird . HAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Last edited:
That's too bad I have that stuff . I guess I'm going to have to buy some stuff .

How much different is the '73 stuff from the earlier or even the later stuff ? Is the only difference the rotors & bearings ?

Sorry for all the questions . I'm fairly new to the c body stuff .

Back