What year is this car?

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I figured between 1960 and 1964
Image2.jpg

Thanks,

Alan

That is a tough one! That Mirror sure looks like a Mopar. 61 up because the 60' had the Mirror attached to the window.I would say Dodge 880,62-64?

Didn't you show us this pic before? Looks familiar, but I don't remember what year it was.

Still pondering this one. First, there is the chrome A pillar which has an accent line down the middle. Second, the cage which I don't think was seen on cars in the first half of the 60's. Third, the black steering wheel.

The 61 CHP Polara doesn't have that accent line as it is just a plain smooth piece as seen in Leno's review of the car at the very end. It didn't have the partition but did have a white wheel. That A pillar is what I think would determine the year.

Can't seem to get a very clear picture of the 1962 Enforcer to see it's A pillar. The 63-64 880 seems to be a plain Jane also. Could this be a publicity shot from way back then?

White steering wheels were a CHP specification, I believe.

CBODY67

Now imagine it is 1961 or 1962 and you are an officer working out of Bakersfield or Fresno with no A/C in these cars back then with over 100 F.

In fact no A/C till 1973 and no power steering plus drum brakes all through the 60's. The big knock against the 1970 Mercury car was the lack of power steering as decided by the guys in charge.

Last edited:
If my Train of thought is correct, this should be narrowed down to a 1964 Dodge 880 as you have the old 1960 Chrysler/Dodge roofline and doors in combination with a non dash mounted rear view mirror that to my knowledge was only used in 1964.
Edit: If you search the net for the one or two probably original 880 Police cars it seems they used the upper mirror in all Police cars as well while it was dash mounted in the drawings of the police cars brochure ???? If you also take the 1963 horizontal door Panel ribbing into consideration you would then come up with model year 1963, while the featured 1964 restored Police car actually Shows the same Panels.
Hard to verify that every nut and bolt on the few survivors is 100 % original and what leftover parts Ma Mopar threw on These low production cars during their production run. I ruled out the Chrysler enforcer as I think the steering wheel doesn't fit and they had new oveall designs starting in 63 that don't fit the old roofline/doorglass.

Last edited:
Didn't you show us this pic before? Looks familiar, but I don't remember what year it was.
I may have in reference to the cage but not in trying to figure out the year. Total curiosity no need to know.

62 newport maybe?

CHP did use a Chrysler "Enforcer" in 62, not sure its foundation.

Still pondering this one. First, there is the chrome A pillar which has an accent line down the middle. Second, the cage which I don't think was seen on cars in the first half of the 60's. Third, the black steering wheel.

The 61 CHP Polara doesn't have that accent line as it is just a plain smooth piece as seen in Leno's review of the car at the very end. It didn't have the partition but did have a white wheel. That A pillar is what I think would determine the year.

Can't seem to get a very clear picture of the 1962 Enforcer to see it's A pillar. The 63-64 880 seems to be a plain Jane also. Could this be a publicity shot from way back then?

Cages were quite rare prior to the mid 70's when they became standard.
The white wheel started in 1961 (some 61's may have been black)
This is a CHP taken promo shot, I'm sure it was to show the cage.

Now imagine it is 1961 or 1962 and you are an officer working out of Bakersfield or Fresno with no A/C in these cars back then with over 100 F.

In fact no A/C till 1973 and no power steering plus drum brakes all through the 60's. The big knock against the 1970 Mercury car was the lack of power steering as decided by the guys in charge.

A/C became standard on all CHP cars on the 69's

All CHP pictures I can find (61-64) the mirror was not on the dash.

Alan

A/C became standard on all CHP cars on the 69's

Alan

According to the retired CHP fellow, responsible for the cars, that Leno interviewed on his video of five different CHP cars plus the new Explorer he said standard in 1973 optional on a few cars in 1969.

According to the retired CHP fellow, responsible for the cars, that Leno interviewed on his video of five different CHP cars plus the new Explorer he said standard in 1973 optional on a few cars in 1969.

I was there that day, Spike Helmick was a rookie in 1969 and promoted to Commissioner in 1995 then retired in 2004.
Although Spike is quite knowledgeable some of his facts were not quite right. I stand with the 69's all having AC, power steering is one I haven't looked into although I feel it was about 73 that some of the cars did.

Alan

From all of the online pictures I looked at last night, I'll concur with the Dodge 880, of the pre-65 variation. The C-pillar shape is a giveaway. The ISRV mirror location appears to be correct, too, even the ribs on the back of it. The actual placement from the instrument panel to the roof header might have been something that CHP wanted and Chrysler made happen for them. So look for other body shape cues rather than bolt-ons, for best results.

The Dodge 880, according to the 'Motor Trend" road test of one, stated that CHP's minimum wheelbase spec was 122". They desired Chrysler products for their higher-speed stability and handling, so they took a '62 Chrysler body shell and made some alterations in sheet metal to have a Dodge with a 122" wheelbase, which they didn't have before the 880, other than in a station wagon vehicle.

According to the Mopar Police Cars book, the first version, for the years prior to the middle 1970s (I believe that was the break point), it might have mentioned the first years for P/S and factory a/c, but I'm not sure. I do recall the maintenance directory they got that standardized the motor oil and automatic trans fluid to 20W motor oil, with the stipulation that after a high speed pursuit, to bring the car in for a trans and engine oil change. The TorqueFlite toleratedit fine, but the GM automatics had problems with it, he noted. In the wheelbase situation, it did mention that some of the CA freeways had narrower lanes than others, so they put B-body cars on those patrols as the larger cars were too big.

LOTS of neat facts and information in those books! The amusing thing was at the end of the later-model book. It mentioned that although Chrysler never did certify any fwd turbo cars for police use, they did have some they put out for evaluation. One Sheriff had one he was in patrol in one day. He met a speeder and reflexively made a U-turn and went in pursuit of the offender (at WOT). Then it dawned upon him what he'd done and what he was in. He looked down at the speedometer and saw 140mph (or thereabouts), noticed how good the car was handling, never gave it another thought as his fwd Mopar quickly filled-up the offender's rear view mirror. The Sheriff was impressed and when hearing his story, that "evaluation" was expanded to his officers.

CBODY67

I got one if anyone is interested. Just found it looking for something else.

Bobby Kennedy, 1960, In Bluefield WV on the campaign trail for Jack. What car is he sitting on? What car does he have his feet on?

I have absolutely NO idea. My knowledge of cars from when I was eating strained Gerber carrots and sportin' diapers is quite IN-adequate.

But, I am bettin' somebody knows here .. some of you all can tell what a car is by a chassis bolt only. :)

00-1-2-9.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg

Last edited:
The car on the left is definitely a 1960 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr, most probably a 2dr hardtop. The car on the right I'm not sure of, but obviously from the 1950s. Name plate on the fender, but wheel covers might indicate Packard, but could be the Kelsey-Hayes wire covers (simulated wire wheels). More looking! Can't find that side chrome configuration!

The car on the left is probably Kennedy's Secret Service protection, while on the campaign.

CBODY67

Back