what years nylon timing gears

swilling

Reaction score
Hey Guys - working on getting my '71 360 up and running, its low mileage and instead of peeling of the timing cover - thought id just ask. Did the 71' 360's have the nylon timing gear set? If so ill just order up a new set but would be much easier to ask than look.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if a 71 383 2-bbl has a nylon gear as well? At 88K miles I'm leery of the plastic coated gear being intact still.

Thanks

Pat

Mopar started using nylon timing gears in the 273 engine for '65 and gradually transitioned to nylon gears in everything else as the metal gears were used up. Most '65 big blocks still had metal gears until '66 as did the 318 poly engines. US passenger engines had nylon gears from '67 on.

Dave

I think everything that came out of the factory had nylon gears on them regardless.

Everything had nylon gears through 1978 at least.

I would replace it with a triple steel roller set.

Triple roller timing chain‽ o_0
Yeah ? - i just got a generit jegs brand. I wont be revving or beating on this car. It cost me a hundred bucks. So spending more than %50 of my entire purchase price on a timing set is rough enough already :D

The stock replacement Cloyes, all metal unit is about half that, roller chain on a stock 360 is serious overkill. Cloyes stock replacement is good for at least 120k, do you think your 360 will run longer than that?

Dave

Mopar started using nylon timing gears in the 273 engine for '65 and gradually transitioned to nylon gears in everything else as the metal gears were used up. Most '65 big blocks still had metal gears until '66 as did the 318 poly engines. US passenger engines had nylon gears from '67 on.

Dave
I couldn't have vouched for the years, but in bigblocks I have worked on this sounds about right. A timing chain can actually be a pretty noisy thing at idle if you listen for it, it's a strange sound - it's not knocking, it's not valvetrain, it's a kinda funny rattle.

There is a huge difference in friction/resistance between a true roller and a stock-style chain, though. Roll 2 of them back-back and you'll notice for sure.
Whether it's worth the cost difference is up to the individual, though.

On a smallblock you should investigate whether later-model timing chain tensioners will fit, I think my buddy said they will. From late 80s-newer, maybe? Or Magnum engines?

Another good option, while the timing cover is off, is to slowly pour a gallon of kerosene or mineral spirits down the front of the oilpan (this is possible on a bigblock, anyway).
Do a small slow pour first and let it sit for awhile and soften, then do the rest. Maybe do the next oilchange a little early too.
But if the rockerarm area looks clean, maybe it's had good oilchanges.

I couldn't have vouched for the years, but in bigblocks I have worked on this sounds about right. A timing chain can actually be a pretty noisy thing at idle if you listen for it, it's a strange sound - it's not knocking, it's not valvetrain, it's a kinda funny rattle.

There is a huge difference in friction/resistance between a true roller and a stock-style chain, though. Roll 2 of them back-back and you'll notice for sure.
Whether it's worth the cost difference is up to the individual, though.

On a smallblock you should investigate whether later-model timing chain tensioners will fit, I think my buddy said they will. From late 80s-newer, maybe? Or Magnum engines?
If this was going to be a built up engine, I would agree wholeheartedly. On a low output stock 360, I doubt one would notice much difference other than quieter operation. One of those things, each to his own. The transition to the nylon gears was stated to have been for noise reduction purposes.

Dave

Yes it fits like a glove. Mopar used tensioner in mid 90's v6 engines. Atleast cloyes is making those. I got mine from Rockauto for about 30usd. I installed the tensioner into -72 360

Back